Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/16/2016 5:52:57 PM EDT

These are a couple of my first 9mm reloads. Do the crimps look ok on them? Also, Ive read that 9mm rounds normally look "hourglass" shaped once done(using lee carbide dies), but my reloads dont have a very defined "hourglass" look. Will they be ok this way? Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 6:07:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 6:17:21 PM EDT
[#2]
I wonder why? Can you see it with this link? Im not sure if Im doing this right even though i followed the how to post pictures thread.

Link Posted: 5/16/2016 6:25:42 PM EDT
[#3]
From that view it is hard to tell, I look from top and compare to factory. Regardless, field strip the gun and while holding the barrel facing the floor drop in a factory round. Then do the same with your reload. If it goes in like the factory round, you are probably good to go. It doesn't matter if we like the crimp, your gun has to like it. When I started I had to adjust the crimp a few times to get it right. Good luck.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 6:51:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
From that view it is hard to tell, I look from top and compare to factory. Regardless, field strip the gun and while holding the barrel facing the floor drop in a factory round. Then do the same with your reload. If it goes in like the factory round, you are probably good to go. It doesn't matter if we like the crimp, your gun has to like it. When I started I had to adjust the crimp a few times to get it right. Good luck.
View Quote

I tried dropping it into my pistol and it went in just fine, same as factory.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 6:55:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Can't see your pic.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://imgur.com/q0Hm4eX

These are a couple of my first 9mm reloads. Do the crimps look ok on them? Also, Ive read that 9mm rounds normally look "hourglass" shaped once done(using lee carbide dies), but my reloads dont have a very defined "hourglass" look. Will they be ok this way? Thanks in advance.
Can't see your pic.

I tried to fix the picture link in the first post, did it work? Can you see it?
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 6:55:55 PM EDT
[#6]
yep, drop them in the barrel as above poster suggests.  It's a more reliable test than a guage.  
If the load is safe, primer is seated well, OAL good,  

Another test is take a loaded round and push the bullet onto a hard surface, ( dont over do it )
See if bullet slides into case would indicate not enough crimp.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 7:05:37 PM EDT
[#7]
I was pulling my hair out the other day trying to figure out whether my problem was OAL, thinking my cast bullets were bulging the case cause the larger diameter, etcccc and all it was that I needed a tinyyyy more crimp and they fit and shot perfect
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 7:10:47 PM EDT
[#8]
They have the same shape as mine. As far as crimp goes, it's hard to tell. I measure the case diameter at the lip vs a couple hundredths down. You should be slightly less at the lip. Assuming OAL is good the look fine to me.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 10:26:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Look like 115gr Xtreme or Berry..

Lee size die dont do the gross sizing like DILLON die,, that why your finish product look "normal"..  If the OAL good for you, and they drop freely in and out of your barrel' chamber, you are ready to shoot

For crimp, I run approx 0.377 - 0.380" OD right at case mouth.. with plated, try to hold 0.379 - 0.380 so you dont "squeeze bullet down in diameter.

Forogt to add :  If using plated, I like to chamfer case mouth so no chance of burr "fish hooking" the plating, and allow for smooth clean release of bullet when fired.. that just me though

Link Posted: 5/16/2016 10:44:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 5:00:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Now that you have 50 posts, you will be able to see if your pics are showing up by using the review button.

Your pics are fine now.

Do you have enough crimp? Easy, measure the case mouth.

My crimped 9mm rounds are .376 to .378.

Ignore those who say "just straighten out the bell". You want a little crimp. Not a lot, a little.
View Quote

not to hijack, but is that for coated cast too? (polymer coated)
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 5:16:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 5:31:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Cast lead, Powder Coated, plated, and jacketed.

With plated, be sure to not let the case mouth break through the platting.

With the above numbers, mine don't.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Now that you have 50 posts, you will be able to see if your pics are showing up by using the review button.

Your pics are fine now.

Do you have enough crimp? Easy, measure the case mouth.

My crimped 9mm rounds are .376 to .378.

Ignore those who say "just straighten out the bell". You want a little crimp. Not a lot, a little.

not to hijack, but is that for coated cast too? (polymer coated)

Cast lead, Powder Coated, plated, and jacketed.

With plated, be sure to not let the case mouth break through the platting.

With the above numbers, mine don't.

Ok last question since this isn't my thread.. But what are your 300blk crimp numbers? I am asking for subs but I don't think it would make a difference. I've always gone back and forth from too much.. too little.. too much..
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 11:02:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 12:02:46 AM EDT
[#15]
looks nice, good job on you first loads! after I make a new batch I make sure they cycle in my guns then I check if the bullet moved and I check my OAL, I do that several times then I load a good batch. also remember to just load like 10-20 rounds try them then go back to the drawing board.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 5:52:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Finally got to shoot my 1st 9mm reloads...

not too bad   12 yards  4 grains of titegroup with a 1.135 oal using 115 grain berry bullets and Sellier & Bellot small pistol primers...the 1 flyer at bottom left was due to 2 shots being fired with 1 trigger pull (wierd, never happened before)...shot through a 9mm smith and wesson shield.

do the primers look ok? Sellier & Bellot small pistol primers
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 7:49:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Well......they have dents in them. You may need some new ones.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 8:07:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Well......they have dents in them. You may need some new ones.
View Quote

Lol. I was just curious if they look over pressured or not and if that mark off of the firing pin strike is normal. It did the same mark on factory ammo
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 10:36:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 11:02:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Welcome to the reloading club.

The edges of the primers are rounded, so no issue.

I have fired many rounds with 4.4 grs TiteGroup with a 115 gr plated bullet.
View Quote

Thanks for the response. Ive reloaded quite a few rifle rounds but this was my first time doing pistol. The 4 grains cycles my shield with no issues. I think it will be a good plinking round
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top