Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/5/2016 7:57:09 PM EDT
I was thinking about picking one up.  Anyone have any experience with it ?

Link Posted: 5/5/2016 8:01:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Tag for interest. I have a 650. Might be something to look into.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 8:23:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Grafs sells them. In my experience, they are relatively picky about selling new stuff unless its well tested.

I would be in for one if I had a 650... or maybe buy a 1050 instead.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 8:53:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm not saying don't do it, but be aware that Dillon has stated that use of a press-mounted swage can/will be a warranty issue because (according to them) the swage punch heavily loads the press in ways for which the press was not designed.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 9:10:52 PM EDT
[#4]
If you are like me, where 98% of my brass is swaged/reamed but every now and then I pick up someone else's, this is probably a good solution. In the same way that the dillon trimmer isn't a 300 blk production machine, this will likely stress your casting in ways unexpected.

Link Posted: 5/5/2016 9:17:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you are like me, where 98% of my brass is swaged/reamed but every now and then I pick up someone else's, this is probably a good solution. In the same way that the dillon trimmer isn't a 300 blk production machine, this will likely stress your casting in ways unexpected.

View Quote

same reason I gave up the X-die.. You can never be sure the brass you pick up is X-died...
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 9:19:43 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't see how these can swage anywhere near as good as the dillon dedicated swager or Hornady LnL swage kit.   Both those use a rod through the case for stability as it squishes the brass into the swage

head.  With those on press setups, the only thing holding the case is the shell plate at it weakest point.  You have a bolt in the middle and the shell plate trying to hold down a case that is being jammed upward

by some pretty serious amount of pressure.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 9:20:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Tag for interest. I have a 650. Might be something to look into.
View Quote

I have one for my 650 and it's worth every penny. Takes a bit of time to get used to the proper feel but greasing the swage tip helps tremendously.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 3:40:44 PM EDT
[#8]
What the heck , I ordered one today.  

I'll post back after i run it.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 3:57:19 PM EDT
[#9]
i have one for the 550. It works fine on .223. Got mine on the introductory offer from the factory. They were a bit cheaper back then.

Guess the word got it out that it really works.

You will not be disappointed.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 4:04:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
i have one for the 550. It works fine on .223. Got mine on the introductory offer from the factory. They were a bit cheaper back then.

View Quote

Good deal., I'm setting up my 550 for 223 brass prep only.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 4:18:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I don't see how these can swage anywhere near as good as the dillon dedicated swager or Hornady LnL swage kit.   Both those use a rod through the case for stability as it squishes the brass into the swage

head.  With those on press setups, the only thing holding the case is the shell plate at it weakest point.  You have a bolt in the middle and the shell plate trying to hold down a case that is being jammed upward

by some pretty serious amount of pressure.
View Quote

Three months ago I would agree with you, but I decided to give it a shot. Out of 1000 cases I've prepped on my 650 (small sample size I know), I haven't had one case that required any more pressure than a primer.

The first 100 rounds I didn't think it wasn't even swaging, as it required so little pressure. I proceeded to prime the first 100, as well as 250 random cases with a hand primer just to be sure. Again zero issues.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 4:18:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Excited to hear how it works on a 550 as I don't have a 650.

If you plan on using a trimmer on the 550, I ordered the Dillon trim head and was pleasantly surprised that the 550 trim head came with a modified blue vacuum attachment to fit the 550 trim head better.

Not sure 223 needs the modified trim head but it would be easier and roomier no doubt. I am using it on 30 Carbine... BUT ruined my indexing levers because putting the die nut on the bottom was a bad thing. Dillon sent me a replacement and oddly included a die nut in the package. I guess cause I mentioned that I was going to shave as much off a nut as possible with my grinder to clear the indexing lever arms.

Link Posted: 5/25/2016 8:16:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Got it today and it works as advertised.  

It takes no more pressure than seating a primer  , IMO money well spent.

Link Posted: 5/25/2016 8:27:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thx for update. I expected as much. Will be good to add to the 550 for 303 brass.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 11:54:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

The swager on the 1050 works as you make ammo......IOW it's an inline step......deprime, swage, prime, charge, etc.........also it has a rod that goes inside the case to counter the swager's force.....and so doesn't damage the press (Dillon's argument).

So here's my questions:

• Is this a batch operation (just swaging) or can you load as you swage?

• Is it worth losing your lifetime warranty using a product that doesn't use a counter pressure rod inside the case.

Don't misunderstand, not criticizing, only trying to weigh the pluses/minuses of such a tool to see if I see any reason to buy one and quit using my bench swager.

Why am I even interested?  Swage-It is developing a model for the new RCBS Pro Chucker presses, and I may add a Pro Chucker pretty soon to my bench.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 12:10:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Swage it replaces the primer system... so, no you cant go right into reloading. You can however size/decap, swage, and trim your rifle brass in pass like I plan on doing..

I own a PC7... Guess I could wait for the PC version. Didn't know they were working on it.

I would really like to know how Dillon or RCBS for that matter would know that you are using the swager on the press in this way? I guess you could tell them.

As for Dillon 1050, it's nice but I am not going to pay >100 for every case I need swaging. And conversions are a PITA.

I only run large runs on mine. Not small batches of brass like I would on my 550.

Quoted:

The swager on the 1050 works as you make ammo......IOW it's an inline step......deprime, swage, prime, charge, etc.........also it has a rod that goes inside the case to counter the swager's force.....and so doesn't damage the press (Dillon's argument).

So here's my questions:

• Is it worth losing your lifetime warranty using a product that doesn't use a counter pressure rod inside the case.

Don't misunderstand, not criticizing, only trying to weigh the pluses/minuses of such a tool to see if I see any reason to buy one and quit using my bench swager.

Why am I even interested?  Swage-It is developing a model for the new RCBS Pro Chucker presses, and I may add a Pro Chucker pretty soon to my bench.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So here's my questions:

Link Posted: 5/26/2016 12:16:06 AM EDT
[#17]
I'd be more interested if it worked inline as one of the 7 stations, rather than a batch tool that either loads ammo or swages primer pockets, but not at the same time.  My point being, that my bench swager does that during case prep and adds only a couple of seconds per case to case prep.  Would I really be ahead to have to choose between swaging or reloading on my progressive?  Takes time to set things up back and forth.  

With the PC7's ample stations it would have been nice to have a use for one of them inline!

Link Posted: 5/26/2016 12:19:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'd be more interested if it worked inline as one of the 7 stations, rather than a batch tool that either loads ammo or swages primer pockets, but not at the same time.  My point being, that my bench swager does that during case prep and adds only a couple of seconds per case to case prep.  Would I really be ahead to have to choose between swaging or reloading on my progressive?  Takes time to set things up back and forth.  

View Quote

For rifle, you have to run 2 passes anyway (sure there are exceptions)...

For pistol, using a hand swager is a PITA. I would rather place a piece of brass on a press or use a brass feeder and just pull a lever.

Remember, you should only have to swage 1 time... Unless you pick up a lot of range brass or constantly buy brass, not really an issue.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 12:44:09 AM EDT
[#19]
There you go then!  Just proves that there's more than one way to reload.  One way fits better than another, depending on the reloader.  Don't think I've ever swaged pistol brass in 45 years.  Rifle does take two passes on a progressive if you don't have a single stage doing the initials for you.  My old fashioned method of brass prep is all off the progressive anyway in 2 batched steps.....depriming, tumbling.......then, swaging, uniforming,trimming......then finally the progressive gets to finish the job. Anal maybe, but it works for me.

But honestly, the reason the Dillon 1050 (I doubt I'll ever buy one) has a swager is to make priming on the press a sure thing.  No surprises or kabooms when a primer is mashed in a badly prepped hole.  If it doesn't swage (swagers don't explode) you stop and find out why...long before the primer gets mashed. And really....that's similar to why many of us like Lee Factory Crimp Dies......Insurance.........Murphy proofing.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 8:26:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

So here's my questions:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So here's my questions:

I'm using this press for 223 prep only .

I'm not worried about the warranty , I got this press dirt cheap .
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 1:00:42 PM EDT
[#21]
If using a giraud to trim, I would keep using the bench mounted swager.

Where I see the swage it as being beneficial is being used in conjunction with the dillon trimmer.  You could deprime, swage, size, and trim pretty fast.  Replace the swage it with the 550 primer assembly and start churning out rounds.  

I dont shoot enough to warrant a 1050, so a 550 setup in this manner makes a lot of sense.

Quoted:

So here's my questions:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So here's my questions:

Link Posted: 5/26/2016 1:07:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

I bought mine through the EE here on Arfcom.  It works well and as intended.

My thoughts:

-if you own a 650, you already know how it PRIMES cases; you can prime as much or as little as you like, and can stop if something feels out of place.

The swageIT is the same: I load mixed brass and sometimes they are tough to swage; other times not so much.  New primers go in easily.

-I load large volumes of mixed brass.  If you carefully take the time to separate all your brass by make and year and # of firings, you could use the Dillon bench mount swager.  It works.  But it adds a step, which slows everything down, and that - to me - defeats the purpose of high volume progressive loading.

My goal is to send 556 brass on just 2 trips through the 650: one for brass prep and the final trip to loaded 223 ammo.  The swage it helps make it possible.

Link Posted: 5/26/2016 2:40:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
There you go then!  Just proves that there's more than one way to reload.  One way fits better than another, depending on the reloader.  Don't think I've ever swaged pistol brass in 45 years.  Rifle does take two passes on a progressive if you don't have a single stage doing the initials for you.  My old fashioned method of brass prep is all off the progressive anyway in 2 batched steps.....depriming, tumbling.......then, swaging, uniforming,trimming......then finally the progressive gets to finish the job. Anal maybe, but it works for me.

But honestly, the reason the Dillon 1050 (I doubt I'll ever buy one) has a swager is to make priming on the press a sure thing.  No surprises or kabooms when a primer is mashed in a badly prepped hole.  If it doesn't swage (swagers don't explode) you stop and find out why...long before the primer gets mashed. And really....that's similar to why many of us like Lee Factory Crimp Dies......Insurance.........Murphy proofing.
View Quote

Im the same.  I have to be very careful about keeping my brass separate from anything I pick up off the ground.  My process for range brass is decap, cut crimps, tumble with no pins for an hour if its really filthy, size, trim, tumble for 3-4 hours with pins, load.  My process for my own brass is decap, size, trim, tumble for 3-4 hours with pins, load.  

I see they are working on a swager for the LnL.  Be interesting to see how they do it.  If they get the swager for the ProChucker done, and it works as well as the one for the 650 does, I may end up going that route instead to cut my work load down.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 2:51:15 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm excited to try the one i picked up on the EE, if it works i'll be selling my RCBS swager
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 4:38:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 12:57:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Someone should design and market this kind of gizmo for single stage presses.  Perhaps it could slip into the ram in lieu of the shell holder.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 6:14:40 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Someone should design and market this kind of gizmo for single stage presses.  Perhaps it could slip into the ram in lieu of the shell holder.
View Quote
You mean like this

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/235832/rcbs-primer-pocket-swager-combo-2

Link Posted: 5/27/2016 10:43:14 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
You mean like this

http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/880x660/Primary/235/235832.jpg

I've considered buying one of those, but I believe it says they do not work with Lee brand presses, and both my O frame presses are Lee (one aluminum, one iron).

Link Posted: 5/27/2016 10:54:24 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Already a review thread on it about a month ago. Check the back pages.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Im the same.  I have to be very careful about keeping my brass separate from anything I pick up off the ground.  My process for range brass is decap, cut crimps, tumble with no pins for an hour if its really filthy, size, trim, tumble for 3-4 hours with pins, load.  My process for my own brass is decap, size, trim, tumble for 3-4 hours with pins, load.  

I see they are working on a swager for the LnL.  Be interesting to see how they do it.  If they get the swager for the ProChucker done, and it works as well as the one for the 650 does, I may end up going that route instead to cut my work load down.
Already a review thread on it about a month ago. Check the back pages.

Is this what your talking about ?  LnL swager

Id prefer to run on press with no case handling, thats why the Swage It interests me  :)
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 1:58:57 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I've considered buying one of those, but I believe it says they do not work with Lee brand presses, and both my O frame presses are Lee (one aluminum, one iron).

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You mean like this

http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/880x660/Primary/235/235832.jpg

i used it on my challenger press but i had to use a piece of pipe to get it to work, if you have a lee cast classic press it will work without issue.

Link Posted: 5/27/2016 2:14:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 6/4/2016 8:59:01 AM EDT
[#32]
I've pushed 3k of 223 now and the only brass that seems to be a issue is wolf brass.

It's like it was made for LC brass.  The wolf crimps hang out like a porn stars meat curtain so it makes it a little difficult.

Link Posted: 6/4/2016 12:46:28 PM EDT
[#33]
The posted tool will allow you to swage on your Dillon 550 however:

1. It costs more than a Dillon 600 swager.

2. It can't be used as part of the progressive reloading process on the 550, it simply allows you to swage using that press.

This seems to me to be less than ideal. I imagine you will need to lube the swager head on the 550 tool just like you do when using RCBS's model.

RCBS's swager is vastly inferior to Dillon's 600. While it works OK for 5.56mm brass provided you use resizing lube on the swager head, it really struggles with Lake City 7.62z51mm brass because of the increased swaging area. It's not unusual to have to beat on the press handle to get the swager out of a 7.62x51mm primer pocket. The Dillon cammed linkage works with ease on 5.56mm and Lake City 7.62.

You can always go cheap and just buy a cutter head. They work fine, they're just more tedious when working in volume.

Link Posted: 6/4/2016 4:41:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Are there any first hand reports of the SwageIt damaging a 650?

About the only thing I could see happening is the shellplate getting messed up.

Small price to pay to swage the occ crimped pocket that slips in when doing 223 brass prep runs on my 650.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top