Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/3/2016 8:58:28 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 9:19:41 AM EDT
[#1]
I have the Hornady LnL AP press. I like it very much. I chose it over the Dillon 650.

Dillon certainly has it's rapid fan boys. I am sure it is a great product but the Hornady is too. Hornady you change each individual station using a bushing. With the Dillon you change the entire tool head.

Dillon has, supposedly, the better case feeder design. You pretty much need the case feeder with the Dillon. The press handle is on the right and you also feed it from the right so without a case feeder it is a slow operation. Hornady is fed from the left so you can feed the press by hand and keep a nice rhythm.

Priming system on the Hornady works good if you learn how to set it up properly. Dillon presses have been known to detonate primers. Just do a search.

When I first got my LnL press I was so anxious to get started I did not spend the time to set it up and tweak all the adjustments. I was ready to quit and sell the press. I then buckled down, watched some YouTube videos, read forum threads and just paid attention to how the adjustments worked. Once I did this I got the pressed dialed in and working like a champ.

Once I was confident I liked the press I added a case feeder. Again it gave me trouble until I stopped and got all the adjustments dialed in. Now I can crank out a few hundred .223 rounds per hour. When I need to reload primers I usually top off the powder measure, check the shell plate bolt and blow the press clean.

If you price both presses with case feeders you will see the price is almost the same.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 9:24:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 9:35:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 9:40:06 AM EDT
[#4]
I run a pair of 550s.  You typically don't need an entire caliber conversion unless you're going to some cartridge that doesn't have anything in common with those that you're already loading.  With the 550, you can change the toolhead in 10 seconds or less.  The shellplate takes maybe 2 minutes to change, and the primer system maybe 5 minutes tops.

With the 550, yes, the case feed is on the right and so is the handle.  But you also have to load bullets from the left and index the shell holder from the left.  You will quickly develop a rhythm.  With all 4 stations loaded, the rhythm is as follows, in basically one flowing motion:

1.  Lower handle with right hand, raise, and prime.
2.  While rotating shellplate with left hand, grab a piece of brass with right hand.
3.  Insert fresh brass with right hand while grabbing projectile with left.
4.  Place projectile.
5.  Repeat 1-4.

When you say that having both the case feed and handle on the right is a disadvantage, think of developing a rhythm like a boxer might have 1-2, 1-2, 1-2 or right-left, right-left, right-left.  Or wax-on, wax-off.  Your hands are moving in opposite directions.  There's a very natural rhythm to it.  Maybe even like isometrics/push-pull.

I'm sure Hornady makes a fine product too.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 9:54:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 10:10:00 AM EDT
[#6]
I have the Hornady,LnL it fit my budget better then the Dillon it works great as stated needs some fine tuning out of box but so does the dillon, I built a pretty simple non motorized case and bullet feeder for mine works pretty good,..and you can buy pistol bullet feeder dies under 30 bucks and  lee multi tube feeders under 20 bucks on Amazon and a bully adapter from another web site. I have to manually load the tubes with cases and bullets but that works out fine as I have to stop to reload the primers every 100 any way and just top everything off at that point,..I can crank out about 350 rounds +/- an hour with this set up

there are youtube vid on DYI case/bullet feeders both motorized and non motorized,..I'm sure which ever press you get dillon or hornady you'll be happy
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 10:13:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 10:28:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Just so ya know, the Hornady bullet feed dies SHOULD come with the PTX insert for the powder measure.   They may take little smoothing to get working properly.  The Hornady bullet feeder collator has

worked well for me and was a good investment.  It kinda sucks but you have to get a different feeder for 223 and .30 rifle stuff.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 10:29:27 AM EDT
[#9]
For pistol cases I figure it costs about $115 plus dies to change calibers on the LNL.  This is definitely high side and it can be done for less - but also less convenient.

Shell plate
Quick change powder die (bottom half of the case activated powder measure)
PTX insert (bells the case and activates the powder measure)
Pistol insert for PM (I use the $11.00 insert for each caliber - no adjusting if you buy one for each caliber)
Powder measure linkage (makes the PTX insert provide more consistent belling)
Die bushings (quick change powder measure comes with one)

For bottleneck rifle cases you don't use the ptx insert - you just use a powder bushing.  You may not need a quick change powder die for each rifle cartridge.

By having the powder die, ptx insert, linkage, and powder measure insert for each caliber I can swap things out and change calibers with no adjusting. It's all ready to go.   I find setting the PTX insert to bell correctly a bit tedious and prefer not to do it every time I set up to load.

Dillon die sets don't come with an expander die, Hornady, Rcbs, Lee do.   I usually buy dillon pistol dies because they come with a sizer die, a seater die, and a crimp die.  Which I prefer, otherwise you have to buy a fourth die to crimp separately.  That leaves you with one open station on the press. You can use a powder cop die here, or a bullet feeder. I have been using a Hornady bullet feeder die with a length of aluminum tubing that holds about 40 bullets as a poor mans bullet feeder.  (the Hornady bullet feeder die does come with a PTX insert)

ETA:
size / deprime : sta 1
Powder drop and flare: sta 2
Bullet feeder or powder cop: sta 3
seat: sta 4
taper crimp: sta 5
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 10:35:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't really want or need a case feeder as when I go to put a case in that has always been my case inspection step and I'd rather not change that.

That "$28 bullet feeder for any progressive" is definitely something I want to do though. I saved that thread!

So with the Hornady my process would be

Station 1 - size deprime (Lee die)
Station 2 - flare (Lee die)
Station 3 - charge (with Hornady case activated powder drop - included with press kit)
Station 4 - Nothing (future bullet feed die)
Station 5 - Seat crimp (Lee die)

That will work, right?

I can always free up another station by using the Hornady expanders in the powder drop should I desire to do so.
View Quote

with the case feeder I have made you can inspect your cases when you load the tubes

yes that will work and prime on the down stroke after decap if you so chose you could add a powder cop to check your  that your not over or undercharged to #4 if you wanted but with pistol case not real necessary as you can look and see into the case

I have mine set up

Station 1 - size deprime (Lee die) prime on down stroke
Station 2 -powder charge/expand
Station 3 - powder cop
Station 4 - bullet feed
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 10:48:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Count on around $90 to change over the Dillon - caliber conversion kit + a spare die holder + plus a stand for the dies.   Around $100.  Yes it's expensive but it's a good press.  I have seperate powder measures although that is not really necessary, those are like $50 I think.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 10:58:59 AM EDT
[#13]
LNL owner

I load .40, .45 acp, 38/357, .223, 30-06(m1 garand). My setup is shell plate, dies/bushings and a powder measure insert for each caliber. I can switch to another caliber in a few minutes including the case feeder and powder measure. The benefit of the individual powder measure insert is I don't have too mess with the powder charge each time. I put it in, run a couple test pours and start running.

My LNL ran a bit rough from the start, broke some parts(Hornady is great and shipped replacements free and fast). Once I got it running perfectly it's been flawless, I've been very happy. Until I decided to add a case feeder, then I started all over tuning it to run smoothly again. Now it runs smooth, I can load (pistol) 350rds + an hour but I rarely run that fast. Overall I'm very happy with it.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 11:40:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Never used a LnL, but I can tell you every single person that has checked out my s1050's, sold there LnL shortly after, or is planning to do so.  Most went the s1050 route because of the swaging station and primer seating on the down stroke.  A few however have gone with the xl650.

Depending on your volume (how many of each round type you will produce each session), and the fact that you "don't need" a case feeder, I'd say go with the 550b.  A xl650 without a case feeder is a poor choice IMHO the case feed tube is much shorter than the s1050, so I'd see no point in that press without a case feeder.

You don't need a separate tool head for each caliber, but it is nice (and the path I've gone down).

In the end people who own LnL will recommend it, and people that own blue.... will often do the same.

Based on the information in this thread, and my experience.... I'd think the 550b would be the way to go.  Cheaper compared to the xl650, dedicated conversions are also cheaper than easier (although the converting a 650 isn't really all that much harder, just takes a few more minutes).

The xl650 is a great press, people complain about two topics mainly.... live primer sky ramp, and spent primers missing the bin.... other than those two slightly annoying issues.... it's an awesome press and fits well between the 550b/s1050.

I started with a 550b, added a s1050, and then a xl650.  I know do everything on the larger presses if possible, as they have much higher output than the 550b (about 350 rounds an hour is a good pace for me), compared to 800+ on the progressives.

~g
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 11:51:37 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I don't really want or need a case feeder as when I go to put a case in that has always been my case inspection step and I'd rather not change that.

That "$28 bullet feeder for any progressive" is definitely something I want to do though. I saved that thread!

View Quote
I tried the $28 bullet feeder for any progressive, but found it was not reliable in the long run. Here is a pic of it set up:

In the long run I preferred to load bullets by hand.

As far as the red vs blue, as you can see I have a Dillon 650. I have a friend that has a Hornady. I prefer my Dillon. He prefers his Hornady.

I have been loading since 1997. I started with a Dillon 550 and moved to a 650 about a decade ago. I can tell you every issue I have had with any Dillion press has been resolved quickly and professionally at zero cost. They even fixed my 20 year old case trimmer at no cost.

You can start with the basics for caliber changes. Buy a tool head, stand and powder die for each caliber. You can swap powder measures (and add them later as budget allows).

I recently added the powder check for every caliber I load. I should have done it years ago.

As far as the case feeder goes, you may not think you want it now, but it is an item that once you have it, you will never go back. It's like when I added a Front End Loader to my tractor, after years of ownership, it became like a new multi use tractor.

Link Posted: 5/3/2016 11:52:05 AM EDT
[#16]
If you are going to load alot of different calibers in small runs, and feed the press cases by hand, buy the LnL.

If you are going to load 2-3 calibers, and load 1000 per run, buy a 650.

Each press has its good and bad points.  The 650 is better for high production.  The LnL is a little more versatile.  

Disclaimer:  I have a LnL, but am looking to add a 650 to load much higher production 9mm and 223.  I will keep both presses.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 12:17:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Whoa. THANK YOU. That is a major piece of information that I hadn't even thought about. I don't intend to use a case feeder so that's a big deal!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hornady is fed from the left so you can feed the press by hand and keep a nice rhythm.

Whoa. THANK YOU. That is a major piece of information that I hadn't even thought about. I don't intend to use a case feeder so that's a big deal!

Case feed tube that comes standard on the dillon 650 holds a good handful of brass if you don't want to spend on the feeder. Either way, if you manually feed lead, then you'll want to crank with the right hand and set lead on with the left hand. Left hand lead setting also aids in finding that sweet spot alignment when seating primers. That perfect shell plate spot that the primer slides in just right. Anyone that has loaded swagged brass knows what I'm talking about there I'm sure....

I can't spead for the hornady other than feeding on the left sounds awkward if you are manually setting lead? I'm sure they are both top notch quality and most people are pretty fond of what they learn with.

I'm not an expert on progressives I've only just started the last couple of years, but I imagine in all of them there are little tinkerings and tricks that you figure out as you go or youtube learn.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 3:18:49 PM EDT
[#18]
The financial cost of caliber changes depends on how much time you are willing to spend re-adjusting things.

You need neither the Dillon's toolhead nor the Hornady's bushings . . . you can unscrew the old dies and screw in the new dies.

You don't need extra powder measures - you reset and readjust the one PM you have.

You *do* need the correct shellplate on either press, and I believe on the Dillon you need the correct (may be different) buttons to hold the new caliber's cases in place and perhaps a "powder die" . . . don't know. On the Hornady you will need a new retaining spring occasionally (wear and tear).

So when comparing the minimum cost, make sure you are comparing the minimum number of parts actually required.

If you don't want to waste time (and introduce issues) re-calibrating your press, buy the extra caliber change parts and make sure you compare apples to apples if cost is still an issue.

Bottom line . . . the Dillon costs more without a case feeder because you get half the case feeder with the basic press. The Dillon takes a little longer and/or costs a little more to changeover than a Hornady whenever EQUIVALENTLY EQUIPPED. OTOH, many feel the Dillon runs smoother. The Hornady probably comes with a 500 bullet rebate . . . which is only useful if you have a use for those bullets offered.

Each press has its quirks, eventually either will please you.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 3:39:11 PM EDT
[#19]
I've loaded upwards of 10,000 rounds a year for the last 10 years on a Dillon 550.  I still haven't broken anything significant and if you break anything at all Dillon replaces it for free.

I also like the ability to load rifle and pistol rounds on the same machine and the ability to use a manual powder measure if I prefer for rifle calibers.

There are also plenty of aftermarket accessories such as billet tool heads and locking systems to remove the slack from the tool head to press interface, making it possible to get very good alignment on the press for precision reloads.

The caliber change kits are cheap for the Dillon and once you get a number of plates and pins, all you really need for many calibers is the powder funnel.   They also have quick change kits that include a measure, tool head, powder die and stand for a very reasonable price.

They have charge bar sizes in XS, S , L  and XL, and you can get vernier adjustments for them.  In most loads they will consistently drop charges within .1 grain of target.    

The 650 is arguably a little faster to load with, but the manually indexed 550 is more flexible, handles a wider range of calibers and is cheaper to purchase and cheaper to set up for additional calibers.   And you can still load 400-500 rounds per hour on a 550 without working too hard.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 4:49:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Okay it seems that the Hornady measure can work fine without needing to buy seperate expanders. Does it come with the three bushings (.20-.270 rifle, .30-.45 rifle, and pistol) when you buy the press?
View Quote

Yes it comes with rifle and pistol stuff.

If feeding by hand you will like the LnL.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 11:49:46 PM EDT
[#21]
I've got the LnL AP as stated in this tread at first it was a bit of a bitch, but now I've got it down to an art.
Latley I've been loading more pistol then rifle, but I can load 300 rounds in an hour no sweat which is fine for now.
I'm thinking I will buying another one.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 8:35:59 AM EDT
[#22]
I just cruised through the responses so this might have been covered. For flaring cases I use the http://www.powderfunnels.com/ universal expander, works well.

I'm happy with my LNL, I don't use a case feeder and have no plans to get one.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 9:35:27 AM EDT
[#23]
If anyone does add a case feeder for the LNL there's a member here who makes 3D printed adapters (case specific) that greatly improved my feeders function. Very well made and very cost effective.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 10:11:32 AM EDT
[#24]
There is very little difference in conversion costs between the LNL AP and the XL650.  The tool head on the Dillon and the bushings on the Hornady are basically equal in cost and it is only about a $10 difference total.

If you want cheaper and much faster than your Lee Classic Cast Turret look at the 550B.  Conversions are cheaper and the manual indexing isn't an issue for anyone that I know of (myself included).  You lose the powder cop die but that is fine with me as well as I look in every case.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 10:28:16 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 10:48:35 AM EDT
[#26]
The Dillon conversion kit comes with the powder dispenser and case feeder parts that you will need to purchase separately for the Hornady.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 11:00:32 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 11:05:18 AM EDT
[#28]
You're missing a big point.  The LnL and the XL650 don't interact with the dies the same.  What I mean by this, is the LnL allows you FREEDOM, while the Dillon makes you set up your dies in blocks.  So if you

have a case prep ( 223 ) operation, then a loading operation, you would need 2 blocks with the Dillon.  I case prep with 3 separate stations all on the upstroke.  You can run as many or few dies as needed

without having to un-thread them from a die block and set them back up later.  

Anyways, you are allowed to do what you want with your die order MUCH MUCH easier with the LnL than a 650.  A LnL can put the powder measure in stations 2-5 if you wanted.  The Dillon is sorta locked in at

it's designated spot.  You can move it around but I believe you lose your safety feature.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 11:09:47 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I don't think that's correct. The Hornady comes with the three powder measure inserts required to charge virtually any case. If you want to flare simultaneously, then yes you need more parts, but I do not need to do that. Also as linked to above there is an aftermarket universal flaring insert available.

I don't intend to use a case feeder so there are are no case feeder parts for me to buy. I WOULD like to use a bullet feeder at some point though.

If I DO change my mind in the future and decide to go with a case feeder then that changes things and that's what I have to consider.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Dillon conversion kit comes with the powder dispenser and case feeder parts that you will need to purchase separately for the Hornady.

I don't think that's correct. The Hornady comes with the three powder measure inserts required to charge virtually any case. If you want to flare simultaneously, then yes you need more parts, but I do not need to do that. Also as linked to above there is an aftermarket universal flaring insert available.

I don't intend to use a case feeder so there are are no case feeder parts for me to buy. I WOULD like to use a bullet feeder at some point though.

If I DO change my mind in the future and decide to go with a case feeder then that changes things and that's what I have to consider.

Also look at the actual design of the press.  A Dillon 650 is a O frame with the support directly in the center.. like a big "O",   But the LnL has the support off center to the right allowing for much better left hand

access and line of sight of cases with powder and placement of bullets.  

http://www.comrace.ca/cmfiles/dillonLeeHornadyComparison.pdf          <<<<<<  highlight and google search
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 12:21:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Never used a LnL, but I can tell you every single person that has checked out my s1050's, sold there LnL shortly after, or is planning to do so.  Most went the s1050 route because of the swaging station and primer seating on the down stroke.  A few however have gone with the xl650.

Depending on your volume (how many of each round type you will produce each session), and the fact that you "don't need" a case feeder, I'd say go with the 550b.  A xl650 without a case feeder is a poor choice IMHO the case feed tube is much shorter than the s1050, so I'd see no point in that press without a case feeder.

You don't need a separate tool head for each caliber, but it is nice (and the path I've gone down).

In the end people who own LnL will recommend it, and people that own blue.... will often do the same.

Based on the information in this thread, and my experience.... I'd think the 550b would be the way to go.  Cheaper compared to the xl650, dedicated conversions are also cheaper than easier (although the converting a 650 isn't really all that much harder, just takes a few more minutes).

The xl650 is a great press, people complain about two topics mainly.... live primer sky ramp, and spent primers missing the bin.... other than those two slightly annoying issues.... it's an awesome press and fits well between the 550b/s1050.

I started with a 550b, added a s1050, and then a xl650.  I know do everything on the larger presses if possible, as they have much higher output than the 550b (about 350 rounds an hour is a good pace for me), compared to 800+ on the progressives.

~g
View Quote

Well.. yea.  But that's comparing a $2000 rig to a $300 rig, so I would kind of expect that.

For the money, the LnL is tough to beat.  The 550 isn't as good (no autoindex).  The 650 is only marginally better (if that), for a crapload more money.  The 1050 is obviously better than all the above - but unless you are doing some rather high volume loading, a rather noteworthy investment.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 12:27:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 12:41:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I went ahead and ordered the LNL AP.

We shall see how it goes from here.
View Quote

You'll likely need to do some tuning to it, the techs/call center at Hornady is pretty helpful.

Eta:

Get the ergo roller handle from inline fab, he makes great upgrade parts for many presses.

Inline
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 12:54:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Watch "bill morgan" LnL setup videos.  Really helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qC1O5FzSCA
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 1:21:22 PM EDT
[#34]
I am 55 and still have a lot to learn about reloading. Only been doing it about 30 years. In that time I have owned a lot pf presses and my friends have owned a lot more. After a lot of experimentation, I have settled on a few things that work for me. When it comes to progressive presses I own a 550 and a 1050.
Dillon works for me. In my limited experience,  I have seen a few people go from red to blue. I cant recall anyone selling their Dillon equipment and buying another brand. Resale prices on this  forum and Ebay  speak louder than my limited experience.

Glad you are getting a nice press. Good loading and shooting sir
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 1:29:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 7:38:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

~g
View Quote
I evaluated all of those presses before I went with the Hornady.  The 550 doesn't auto-index, which was a deal killer for me.  The cost to change calibers with the 650, and the process to do so, seemed to be much more involved; with the Hornady, you can take your dies out without changing how they're adjusted, so you either have to use separate tool heads with the 650 or tinker with die adjustments every time you change things.  And the 1050 isn't even in the same ballpark as the 650 and LnL; it's a completely different type of machine.  Yes, I'd buy one if I could afford it, in a heartbeat.  But I wouldn't sell my LnL to do that, I'd buy the 1050 and use it as well.

OP, I think you'll be happy with the Hornady LnL AP.  It is a different take on getting the steps needed to progressively load ammunition from Dillon's, and that's a good thing.  More choices are always a better thing than fewer choices.  After all, it's not a tattoo or a marriage or a religion, it's a purchase.  You will be able to get a lot done with the Hornady progressive, and it'll be fun too.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 11:22:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
If anyone does add a case feeder for the LNL there's a member here who makes 3D printed adapters (case specific) that greatly improved my feeders function. Very well made and very cost effective.
View Quote

Do you have contact info?
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 6:52:51 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe this is him, I don't have the IM's anymore, but they look just like these.

Link

I emailed with him, and sent him a link to this.

Eta: link posted is to the member that makes them.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 9:30:16 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Congratulations. Don't make the same mistake I made......I was so anxious to get ammo cranked out I did not get the press dialed in. This led to a lot of frustration and thoughts of switching to another brand. I then calmed down and realized all brands of press need to be perfectly adjusted to work flawlessly. The Hornady is not 100% dialed in out of the box.

I found this video and learned how to get my press to index as smooth as his. Once I watched this video I was in business.

Once you get set up post back here and let us know how you are doing.

Link Posted: 5/5/2016 9:43:47 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 9:56:20 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I have the Hornady LnL AP press. I like it very much. I chose it over the Dillon 650.

Dillon certainly has it's rapid fan boys. I am sure it is a great product but the Hornady is too. Hornady you change each individual station using a bushing. With the Dillon you change the entire tool head.

Dillon has, supposedly, the better case feeder design. You pretty much need the case feeder with the Dillon. The press handle is on the right and you also feed it from the right so without a case feeder it is a slow operation. Hornady is fed from the left so you can feed the press by hand and keep a nice rhythm.

Priming system on the Hornady works good if you learn how to set it up properly. Dillon presses have been known to detonate primers. Just do a search.

When I first got my LnL press I was so anxious to get started I did not spend the time to set it up and tweak all the adjustments. I was ready to quit and sell the press. I then buckled down, watched some YouTube videos, read forum threads and just paid attention to how the adjustments worked. Once I did this I got the pressed dialed in and working like a champ.

Once I was confident I liked the press I added a case feeder. Again it gave me trouble until I stopped and got all the adjustments dialed in. Now I can crank out a few hundred .223 rounds per hour. When I need to reload primers I usually top off the powder measure, check the shell plate bolt and blow the press clean.

If you price both presses with case feeders you will see the price is almost the same.
View Quote

Could not have said it better, this is what I did exactly.  Would do it again without question.

Link Posted: 5/5/2016 10:02:44 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I don't really want or need a case feeder as when I go to put a case in that has always been my case inspection step and I'd rather not change that.  They are nice but certainly don't have to have the case feeder, the $28 bullet feeder is a bigger asset IMO.

This is an excellent way to go, I see no need for a formal/factory bullet feeder.  My buddy went with the Hornady tubes and I do like them because they are "stand alone".

So with the Hornady my process would be

Station 1 - size deprime (Lee die)
Station 2 - flare (Lee die)
Station 3 - charge (with Hornady case activated powder drop - included with press kit)
Station 4 - Nothing (future bullet feed die)

That will work, right?  Yes. Powder Cop would be a good idea in #4 - or bullet feeder (use expander in the powder measure)

I can always free up another station by using the Hornady expanders in the powder drop should I desire to do so.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/5/2016 4:28:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I believe this is him, I don't have the IM's anymore, but they look just like these.

Link

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link

Thanks M4
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 5:01:02 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Well.. yea.  But that's comparing a $2000 rig to a $300 rig, so I would kind of expect that.

For the money, the LnL is tough to beat.  The 550 isn't as good (no autoindex).  The 650 is only marginally better (if that), for a crapload more money.  The 1050 is obviously better than all the above - but unless you are doing some rather high volume loading, a rather noteworthy investment.
View Quote

In the end, volume is what drove me to the s1050's.

We all have different priorities, amounts of free time, disposable income, and needs when it comes to reloading.

OP sounds like you made the right decision based on your needs.

Good luck and stay safe.

~g
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 6:56:41 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 11:54:59 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
My LNL AP came in last night. Set it up as per the directions.

Had to make a slight adjustment to one of the indexing pawls (super easy and a really slick design). After that it has run flawlessly! I LOVE the bushings. For example, a berdan primed case made it's way past me and I had to reset my decapping pin. Stupid easy with the bushings.

I just need to get into the rhythm of progressive loading now. I've been using the turret press so long that it's hard to transistion!
View Quote

Congrats!!,..I had to adjust one of my pawls also right out of box,..youtube has some good vids on tips and tricks for the LnL  there are also some DIY case feeders one is pretty simple but only works with pistol I made that one with stuff I had laying around the shop ,the only thing I had to buy was the lee multi tube feeder  on amazon for 20.00 works pretty slick,
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top