Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/1/2016 11:47:34 AM EDT
... to fire a saboted 200grain .308 projectile from a 12 gauge shotgun?  

I was recently reading here in Michigan, we're limited to shotgun and rimfire for night hunting varmints, and I was curious if smaller caliber version of a sabot round could be made to work from a 12 ga shotgun with a rifled barrel?  I was hoping for .300blk performance.  I imagine stabilization would be a big concern.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 11:59:54 AM EDT
[#1]
You're right that there are "issues" with your idea.  

The bore of a 12 gauge is about .75".  That means you'd need a sabot that was almost 1/4" thick just to hold your bullet.  Then there's getting it to spin; even with a rifled "deer slug" barrel, the sabot would have to securely hold the .308 bullet to impart the spin, and then fall away, reliably, once it left the barrel.  That's a design challenge all by itself.

While there are sabots available for .224 bullets in .30 caliber rounds, and some sabots for .30-35 caliber bullets in .50 caliber muzzle loading applications, there aren't any 12 gauge sabots for .30 caliber bullets that I'm able to find.  There ARE sabots for .50 caliber projectiles in 12 gauge; read HERE for details.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 7:39:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I've seen teh ones in the link before.  They're not that much different than the sabots used in muzzle loaders.  I was thinking of a sabot /projectile combination more like the BRI sabot rounds.  The projectile looks like a giant airgun pellet.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 9:16:56 PM EDT
[#3]
most shotgun loads are 1100-1250 ish FPS

So even if  you pulled it off you wont get 300 BLK performance
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 10:24:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 12:00:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Great rule, since in the dark, it's hard to gauge what is in the back ground ,and with the slower round, it will cover less distance before it drops to the ground. Hence less likely to put a round into a farm house some distance past the game.
View Quote

I'm not expecting 500 yard performance.  If I could get 125-150 yards from it, I'd be happy.  That's about as far as I could go with a 12ga and a BRI sabot.  I was looking forward to something less than a 525 grain projectile.

Link Posted: 5/3/2016 3:40:18 PM EDT
[#6]
there is several pistol bulleted sabot type slugs around 300grs that will do 1800fps or so and shoot mighty well out of rifeled shotgun barrels.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 5:16:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top