Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/8/2016 7:21:11 PM EDT
Trying to find my recipe for CFE Pistol shooting a plated X-Treme 230gr RN, I tested a few loads. I sent an email to Hodgdon and they recommended starting load of 5.4gr and max of 6.2. They said to follow lead nose info for plated bullets. I shot 6 rds each of 5.6, 5.8, 6.0, and 6.2gr. All functioned perfectly. The most consistent and accurate was the 5.8 and the 6.2. Only thing that worries me about the 6.2 was it was the stated max and it felt like it too. I felt like it was pushing the +P territory. I think I might do some more testing but for now I'm content on the 5.8 results. Anyone else have experience with X-Tremes?

P.S.  Gun used was Springfield Range Officer Compact and COL was 1.26
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 7:44:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I've loaded Xtreme 200gr SWC and 230gr RN in my 1911 5 inch barrel and experienced no issues.

I use Titegroup and Unique and to develop the load I use now there really wasn't any soild numbers to go by.

The only sure way for me to see where I wanted to be was the Chrono and Quickload.

I lost the feel of comparing recoil to factory ammo but I have done that in the past, but it's just a guess at where your at.

I ended up around 700fps with the 230gr RN using Titegroup and Quickload has it well under Pmax and this makes it nice and soft for me and the gun.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 11:58:50 PM EDT
[#2]
CFE pistol here as well.
I just started with it in 45 so my first loads were 5.8 shot thru my six inch glock 21. Both suppressed and unsuppressed were nice shooting but the brass came out looking charred, indicating not enough powder to seal the chamber, I'm told.

I moved it up to 6.0 for my next range trip. I also loaded some 5.4, looking for super-quiet firing.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 1:17:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 6:50:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Extreme plated bullets shoot very well for me in 9mm and 45 ACP.
View Quote

I was disappointed with the accuracy until I removed the Lee Factory Crimp Die from my press.  I was over-crimping my rounds, and basically swaging my finished work.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 12:52:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 2:08:00 PM EDT
[#6]
I've been shooting X-Treme's 200gr SWC and I load 6.5gr of CFE Pistol.  I've also shot some at 6.8 and there is not much of a difference.   They both feel less than factor 230gr ammo.

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 7:54:05 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm using 6.5gn of CFE pistol under my 230gn X-treme plated bullets.

It shoots very well in my 1911 and my S&W 25-2.

I was looking for a load that minimized powder residue (lighter charges seem to have lots of unburnt powder) and this seems to work pretty well.

This is below the max for jacketed, and I tend to run my plated bullets at mid-range jacketed powder charges.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 9:28:17 PM EDT
[#8]
I am running 6.5 gr of CFE Pistol with 230 gr Precision Delta or Zero bullets.   Seems to work well for me.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:08:18 PM EDT
[#9]
After reading this it seems that maybe my 6.2 isn't as close to max as I thought. It was the most accurate and I said it felt like it was at max but I haven't shot factory ammo in awhile. I think I will load a few more up with 6.2 and test them again. This time I'll bring some factory ammo to compare. Thanks for all the replies!
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:16:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Let me know what kind of residue you're getting from your loads.

I got a lot of little unburnt grains. The paperwork I had on the bench looked like it had been lightly dusted with fine sand. I would also see them in the barrel of the 1911 and in the cylinders on my .45 ACP revolver. I still get some at 6.5 gr but not as much.

I don't seem to have that problem with 9mm, .38 spcl or .357 mag.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:30:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Let me know what kind of residue you're getting from your loads.

I got a lot of little unburnt grains. The paperwork I had on the bench looked like it had been lightly dusted with fine sand. I would also see them in the barrel of the 1911 and in the cylinders on my .45 ACP revolver. I still get some at 6.5 gr but not as much.

I don't seem to have that problem with 9mm, .38 spcl or .357 mag.
View Quote

I did notice that with the 45 at the range. I had my targets on the bench in front of me and it had a decent amount of fine grains on it. Before I shot the 45, I was shooting 9mm with CFE and didn't notice it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top