Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/8/2016 6:52:29 PM EDT
Did a search on the 3 of them and not much, but the 550 pops up. What setup are you using for your reloading?
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 6:57:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Dillon 550 is the answer
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 6:58:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a 550B and a 650. The 650 is for pistol only.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 7:01:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm running twin 650's.

I can run 5.56 through the first press and deprime, swage, resize and trim in one pass.

Then Stick it in press two where I deprime (really check to ensure the flash hole is clean), prime, drop powder, seat the bullet and crimp.

I still need to get a bullet feeder for press number two.

Swaging is done with a GS Custom Swager.  It has worked well for me.  It uses an internal roll pin that has started wearing out, but it's fairly easy to replace.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 7:17:13 PM EDT
[#4]
650 for sure. 550 is manual advance.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 7:53:55 PM EDT
[#5]
If I had to buy one of those three presses today, it would be a 550.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 7:57:01 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a 550 and 650. I got tired of not having a casefeeder so I just replaced every 550 conversion with one for my 650 and now my 550 is sitting unused. It is a great press and supremely user friendly, but I use my T7 and Rockchucker for low quantity ammo now, and my 650 has a toolhead for everything and pumps it out fast.

I would not personally have an LNL because the old case feeder was mediocre (I think it is somewhat better now) and I can rig a bullet and casefeeder up to my 650 and practically reload in my sleep. Side note: sleep reloading is not recommended.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 8:33:44 PM EDT
[#7]
550B = 9MM, .380
XL650 = 10MM
S1050 = .223 (one head for prep, one for loading)

I'm lazy and don't like changing calibers/primer systems. I'm going to get another S1050 just for .308 with an extra toolhead and trimmer just for it. I'm going to get a 6.5CM conversion for either the 550 or 650. I haven't figured out which yet. All mine have casefeeders.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 8:41:17 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a Hornady LnL with case feeder. I love it. Just trimmed and sized 4000 .223 rounds this weekend. I can do 1200 per hour if I want. I timed myself. I usually go more on a pace of about 800 or so. I usually stop every so often to take a 5-10 minute break. I blow the press off and lube more cases.

Link Posted: 2/8/2016 8:56:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 9:24:48 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a LNL, no case feeder, no bullet feeder.  Two things I prefer over the 550 are 5 hole design and auto indexing, in other words, think compare to 650 more than 550.  My shotshell loaders are auto-indexing, I'd rather keep with that setup.

It has taken some tweeking and dialing in to make it work.  I don't load thousands & thousands of rounds on it, I have no idea how it would hold up to that kind of use.  Caliber changes are easy and repeatable.  One nagging problem I've had is getting clean indexing - but I think I have that figured out.  I have not set up to do a run yet so the jury is still out.

Hornady has been responsive and helpful the couple of times I called them.  This last issue they wanted me to send the press to them.  I rolled the dice and did what I thought needed done myself.

If I had to do it over again I'd seriously look at a 650, but I'm sure they have their issues as well.  I suspect the dillons are probably a bit more trouble free out of the box, but I don't know that for a fact.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 9:44:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Depends entirely on what you want to load and how many rounds you want to load at a given time (at least the 550 v 650).   Outside of that, the Dillon guys are going to recommend the Dillon, the Hornady guys are going to recommend that, and the former Hornady guys are going to recommend Dillon

Which Dillon?

I started on a Square Deal and now load on a 650 with case feeder.  I have never used a Lock & Load.
View Quote

I went right to a 650 for my first press after debating it versus an SBD or 550.

I want to be able to pump out rounds quick since free time is in short supply for me.

I made the right decision.  It's a fine piece of machinery and the case feeder rocks.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 9:48:42 PM EDT
[#12]
550B for the win.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 9:57:41 PM EDT
[#13]
I've had my 550B for 25 years and 20,000 rounds later, it's still spitting out quality ammo. I prefer the manual index over the auto index. I called Dillon this week for some plastic pieces that had gotten brittle, and it's still under warranty

Plinkerman
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 9:57:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Love my 550B. Well it's not really mine. Went in on it with a buddy but I rarely see or hear from him, and the press is at my house, so for all intents and purposes, it's mine

I have mainly pistol dies for it, but also 7mm Rem Mag. Don't own that rifle, my buddy did. Haven't reloaded in ages though, need to buy dies for the AR and get back into it. Would love to have Dillon's shotgun press as well but it's wicked expensive. Probably end up with a MEC.

Link Posted: 2/8/2016 10:28:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I have a Hornady LnL with case feeder. I love it. Just trimmed and sized 4000 .223 rounds this weekend. I can do 1200 per hour if I want. I timed myself. I usually go more on a pace of about 800 or so. I usually stop every so often to take a 5-10 minute break. I blow the press off and lube more cases.

View Quote

That is a lot of brass processed. What do you use for processing that much brass that fast? 800-1200 RPH is great.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 11:10:45 PM EDT
[#16]
550. I don't like the auto indexing.
Sold my 650 and bought another 550. I have 4 set for various cals.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 11:18:57 PM EDT
[#17]
I have the 550B  and  the XL650

I use the 550B for small batches of stuff that I don't shoot as much, like 30-06, and 44 magnum

The 650 is much faster,  I use it for bulk pistol, and rifle, loads in 1000 round batches

the 650 with the 1200B electric trimmer is a godsend for processing rifle brass

If I had to pick one, it would be the 650

Link Posted: 2/8/2016 11:35:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'm running twin 650's.

I can run 5.56 through the first press and deprime, swage, resize and trim in one pass.

Then Stick it in press two where I deprime (really check to ensure the flash hole is clean), prime, drop powder, seat the bullet and crimp.

I still need to get a bullet feeder for press number two.
http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=83240

View Quote

I'm lucky enough to have 3 Dillon 650s. Large primer, small primer, and 223.

I had a LNL AP. It wasn't my thing. Each one has pluses and minuses. Try to use all three, and then buy the one that is best for you.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 11:58:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

That is a lot of brass processed. What do you use for processing that much brass that fast? 800-1200 RPH is great.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Case feeder. Station 1 has Lee universal decap die. Station 3 has Dillon RT1500 sizing/trimming setup. Station 5 has Luman M set to size the neck tension only.

I tumble brass after I pick it up. Then I size and trim it. If needed I remove the crimp at this point. After that I tumble for an hour or two remove lube and polish. I don't need to make them like jewelry just clean.

For lubing the cases I use homemade case lube in a spray bottle. I put a bunch, maybe 100-150 cases in a plastic bin, squirt with lube shake and mix up and let dry for 5 mins or so. Then I put them in the case feeder 2 handfuls at a time.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 12:21:44 AM EDT
[#20]
After months of research I went Hornady LNL.  If the 650 were the same price I would have probably gone that way just because of their reputation, but I think I made the smarter choice.  Dillon is regarded as the Cadillac of presses while the Hornady may be the Honda civic.  Not a knock either way, both get you to the same place in a different way with different shortcomings.  The LNL is much faster to do a caliber change and it has a few other advantages, the Dillon appears to have a more robust build.  I read stories of guys tossing the Hornady to go Dillon, and some the other way around.  I read a couple where they went Hornady to Dillon, then back.  I think some Dillon lovers are more willing to deal with its shortcomings and are quiet about its issues.  I see the same stuff on Ducati, Jaguar, and Scarab forums I'm on; the lovers just accept issues and keep on loving.  On the Honda, Ford, and Bayliner forums people have reliability and ease of use expectations.  In short, I see a DIllon cult and Hornady users.

Hornady customer support is great.  I called about a seating inconsistency, the guy talked with me for a while and gave suggestions on stuff to try to narrow it down and said that if I didn't want to deal with it or didn't find the cause to just send it in for them to test.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 12:31:22 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The LNL is much faster to do a caliber change
View Quote

That isn't my experience at all. The Dillon case feeder is so much easier to convert as well. If you want to knock the Dillon, say that the primer seater is in an awkward spot to install.

Caliber changes are super easy. You just slide in the preadjusted tool head. If you only want to use one tool head for the Dillon and multiple bushings for the LNL, the Hornady would be faster until you account for the simpler, modular design of the Dillon case feeder.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 12:45:05 AM EDT
[#22]
"... I see a DIllon cult ..."
View Quote

we're not a cult, we just know what works, and what holds up.  

USPSA-IPSC shooters eat up more ammo than any group I can think of

USPSA-IPSC nationals equipment survey

Limited division 93% dillon, 4% hornady, 2% LEE

Open division 97% Dillon, 1% hornady, <1% LEE

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 1:06:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 1:28:40 AM EDT
[#24]
lol @ creating more work for yourself and slower reloading speed on a PROGRESSIVE
650 is the answer
don't bother with amateur 550
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 3:19:32 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

After months of research I went Hornady LNL.  If the 650 were the same price I would have probably gone that way <snip>
View Quote

I hear this all the time. I just checked the prices on line from graf and sons because they stock and sell both.

When you add the case feeder, the xl650 is.... wait for it....... $2 more.

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 9:02:50 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
That isn't my experience at all. The Dillon case feeder is so much easier to convert as well. If you want to knock the Dillon, say that the primer seater is in an awkward spot to install.

Caliber changes are super easy. You just slide in the preadjusted tool head. If you only want to use one tool head for the Dillon and multiple bushings for the LNL, the Hornady would be faster until you account for the simpler, modular design of the Dillon case feeder.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The LNL is much faster to do a caliber change

The primer seater can be a real bear. I take the spent primer catcher and the skipped primer chute off the press to make it easier to change out the primer ram.

A set of ball end allen wrenches can really make it easier to change from small to large primer feed as well.

As for speed, I've done over 200 pieces of 5.56 in 10 minutes. Thats deprimed, swaged, resized and trimmed. It's great for bulk brass processing.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:22:36 AM EDT
[#27]
I own both the Dillon 650 and Hornady LnL AP.

Believe it or not they cost the same when you equip them equally. The casefeeder on the Hornady works but not the greatest.

Dillon Pros

I like a sturdy mounted press on the bench, the dillon mounts with 4 bolts, hornady with just 2. The hornady is always a little wobbly.

The priming system on the hornady needs improvement and tweeking. Youll need to glue a dime under the hornady primer piston or else it digs into the press.

If you decide on the LnL buy a vibraprime or the dillon primer tubes. Hornady made the primer pickup tubes a bit harsh to use. Dillons will pickup primers without effoert while hornadys will require you to press hard to get the primer in the tube.

Dillons powder check just rocks compared to the hornady cop die.

Hornady Pros

Hornady Bushing system is more modular than the toolhead system.

Hornady parts are available at bass pro and cabelas, where as you have to order dillon parts.

Hornady spent primer system is better than dillons cup but for little money you can make the 650 have the same.

Again I have both presses. The Dillon is my go to press and the Hornady is my "Odd Caliber less used" Press these days. Since I bought the Hornady Press because everyone said it was cheaper than the Dillon XL650, and I needed 4 Caliber Conversions, I elected to buy the LnL. Now I wish I would have simply purchased the XL650 Quick Change Kits and the Caliber Conversions.

Like I said, If you equip both presses the same, the Hornady costs just as much as the XL650. The Casefeeder on the Hornady $100 dollars more at least than the Dillons. It doesn't work as good, and you'll be praying that the brass will stay balanced on the down stroke of the Hornady. With Dillon, it's contained in a channel.

Another problem with the Hornady is the press height. Loading a 30-06 cartridge on the Hornady is "Tight". You are almost required to hold the bullet in the case as it 1/2 indexes (Which the top of the bullet can hit the seating die.) Dillon's Press is taller and you will not have this issue. Plus it doesnt 1/2 index on going up.

Caliber Conversion on the Hornady:

1. LnL Bushings (I buy the Rock Chucker Conversion 6 Count at Cabelas for 20 dollars) but caliber conversions require 2-3 individual bushings so $10 per conversion.
2. LnL Powder Insert $15.00
3. LnL Powder Quick Change Die $29.00 @ Midway
4. LnL Powder Funnel or PTX Expander $11.00 @ Midway
5. LnL Quick Change Powder Through Expander Linkage $8.00 @ Midway
6. LnL Shell Plate $34.00 @ Midway

$107.00 For a Caliber Conversion without Dies. In all fairness, the Dillon conversion costs me nearly $200.00 for a Conversion, but it's a better conversion. I get all the parts for the casefeeder, a new powder measure, etc.. If I were to throw a powder dropper in the hornady, it would be over 200 dollars also. (The Hornady Powder Dropper is like 70 dollars and you have to buy the case activated assembly which is another 40-50 dollars, but I'm realistic, no one is going to do that with Hornady because your Caliber conversion would then be $230-$250).

I'd recommend to people, if you want the Hornady, it's a good press, but the Dillon XL650 is much better. Let me say they will BOTH load quality rounds, but the Dillon is much smoother. Again, if you buy the Dillon XL650, buy the Case Feeder. If you buy the Hornady buy the Case Feeder, even with it's issues.

Dillon XL650 = $566
Dillon XL650 Casefeeder = $219 (You get one Plate Included)
(Total $785)

Hornady LnL AP = $450
Hornady Casefeeder = $345 (And you don't get a Plate)
(Total $795 and you need to buy a Plate)
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:38:10 AM EDT
[#28]
Dillon 550 here.   Also a Lee Classic Cast single stage for precision rifle loads.   The 550 is perfect for my amateur needs  It simply works....pull handle, feed it, pull handle, feed it, no drama, no regrets.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:46:12 AM EDT
[#29]
When I got my first progressive it was a Hornady LnLAP. It has since been sold and I went with a 650. The cost does work out about the same when you set them up the same.

I had many issues with my LnLAP. I tried all the tuning tips and tricks I could find on it, but it  was never really squared away in my opinion. Not sure if I just got a bad one or what.

650 has run flawlessly. YMMV.

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:53:15 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:06:52 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

A 650 caliber conversion can only cost $127 ($80 kit, $27 toolhead, $20 toolhead stand) if you don't get the extra powder measure.  

IMO, unless you need to switch between the large and small powder bar, I don't find the extra powder measure all that necessary.  I only have one caliber (at the moment) that I need to use the large powder bar.    If I'm not switching that out, adjusting the measure between different powders and levels is pretty quick process.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

$107.00 For a Caliber Conversion without Dies. In all fairness, the Dillon conversion costs me nearly $200.00 for a Conversion, but it's a better conversion. I get all the parts for the casefeeder, a new powder measure, etc.. If I were to throw a powder dropper in the hornady, it would be over 200 dollars also. (The Hornady Powder Dropper is like 70 dollars and you have to buy the case activated assembly which is another 40-50 dollars, but I'm realistic, no one is going to do that with Hornady because your Caliber conversion would then be $230-$250).

A 650 caliber conversion can only cost $127 ($80 kit, $27 toolhead, $20 toolhead stand) if you don't get the extra powder measure.  

IMO, unless you need to switch between the large and small powder bar, I don't find the extra powder measure all that necessary.  I only have one caliber (at the moment) that I need to use the large powder bar.    If I'm not switching that out, adjusting the measure between different powders and levels is pretty quick process.

True, but I hate adjusting powder measures. Hence why I buy the quick change kit. Thats why I bought all the parts for the hornady also, because technically the cost of a change over is the shell plate for both presses assuming you remove the dies and adjust powder and swap the shell plate.

I have 5 different calibers on the 650 and they all use different powders. Its much better to bite the bullet and have the quick change for them all.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:21:00 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:37:47 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Personally, I would skip the stand as well, but that is just me. Very simple to fabricate one, or just leave it on a shelf.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 12:20:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 1:02:43 PM EDT
[#35]
I like my 550 because of how simple it is.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 1:33:59 PM EDT
[#36]
My Hornady works awesome.  Then again I can change my own oil and taking a some time to get the shuttle system working awesome is no big deal....along with a few other tweaks.  

There's so much OLD information in this thread it would take me all day to quote it all.  Guess what... Hornady may have fixed the issue you had 10 years ago.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 1:50:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
My Hornady works awesome.  Then again I can change my own oil and taking a some time to get the shuttle system working awesome is no big deal....along with a few other tweaks.  

There's so much OLD information in this thread it would take me all day to quote it all.  Guess what... Hornady may have fixed the issue you had 10 years ago.
View Quote

My Hornady Press is under 2 years old, Hornady hasnt fixed it. I had to fix it by modifying a bit on the press. For the cost, I should have to modify or tweek the press to work.

I had to fix the primer slide, glue a dime under the primer seater (because it will dig into the press not allowing the primer to seat fully),  I had to glue the case feeder bushing into its housing because it kept pushing out (the part that pushes against the pivot). I had to put a set screw in the bottom of the primer shield because the primer tube kept popping out. I had to put a small set screw in the bushing in the powder die or otherwise the bushing wanted to twist itself out after 70 or so loads. I had to bend the guide wire for the casefeeder so that it would operate smoothly.

Thats a bit of a list, and I admit the Hornady press runs great now. I still get the ocassional failure to eject loaded cartridges into the bin and the casefeeder system doesnt work from time to time.

My dillon xl650 never had any of these issues.

I again recommend the XL 650 over the LnL AP. Equally equipped they cost about the same. (Buy it with the casefeeder)
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 4:23:38 PM EDT
[#39]

My Hornady Press is under 2 years old, Hornady hasnt fixed it. I had to fix it by modifying a bit on the press. For the cost, I should have to modify or tweek the press to work.
View All Quotes
  This is true.  I really wonder what goes on behind the scenes at a company that seems to have a pretty good amount of resources, to basically ignore what a LOT of owners find troubling.  

I had to fix the primer slide
,  What fix?  A BUNCH of primer slide issues are because people don't understand how the timing works.  It wasn't till I watched some really good youtube vids that I got clued in.  Did you polish it... that is something I would do even it worked 100% perfect.  

glue a dime under the primer seater (because it will dig into the press not allowing the primer to seat fully),
Ok so that cost you 10 cents.  Even though I doubt you really needed to do it.  

I had to glue the case feeder bushing into its housing because it kept pushing out (the part that pushes against the pivot).
Ok..some superglue

I had to put a set screw in the bottom of the primer shield because the primer tube kept popping out.
 This is a simple fix, but Hornady should recognise this is a real issue and I had to do the same thing.  I did it with the powder hopper as well.  

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 4:25:56 PM EDT
[#40]
I had to put a small set screw in the bushing in the powder die or otherwise the bushing wanted to twist itself out after 70 or so loads.
View Quote
This is a researchable fix with a thicker rubber washer.  Like a G25, I believe.  You use this washer on all my bushings.  Never ever had a backout.  Hornady knows it's a problem, yet they still don't include the known fix with their kits.  

I had to bend the guide wire for the casefeeder so that it would operate smoothly.
View Quote
 Not sure about this one, but if you had to do it, you had to do it.  I added a couple extra threads to mine to get a little better case control.  

My dillon xl650 never had any of these issues.  
View Quote
 There are videos and posts with people who have problems with their 650's.  
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 5:08:46 PM EDT
[#41]
glue a dime under the primer seater (because it will dig into the press not allowing the primer to seat fully), Ok so that cost you 10 cents.  Even though I doubt you really needed to do it.
View Quote

Mine was the opposite.  The primer punch was moving up too soon and binding on the shell casings.  30 seconds with a silicone carbide wheel on the dremel tool.  All good.   I haven't studied the ram construction in detail.  If there were a way to adjust the height of the subplate that might have been a 'better' fix.  I think there should be a hardened insert in the housing here that can be adjusted to set primer timing.  An oversized headed flat toped screw recessed into the housing perhaps.  

It's just mass manufacturing and tolerance stack up.  
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 5:15:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

,  What fix?  A BUNCH of primer slide issues are because people don't understand how the timing works.  It wasn't till I watched some really good youtube vids that I got clued in.  Did you polish it... that is something I would do even it worked 100% perfect.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I had to fix the primer slide

How about burrs on the slide from flashing because hornady didnt remove it. On my small primer slider it was warped causing it to jam. I had to get a new one. Even the new one had issues, it wouldnt allow a small primer to drop into the cavity until removed a little material with a dremel, then it worked 99%. I still occasionally get jammed slide

glue a dime under the primer seater (because it will dig into the press not allowing the primer to seat fully,

Ok so that cost you 10 cents.  Even though I doubt you really needed to do it.  

The plunger would not seat a primer fully because it dug itself into the frame and didnt have enough travel upward at that point to seat the primer fully. When the press would half index it would lock up because the primers was still partially in the slider cavity and the brass. It was required, after putting the dime on the press, the seating issue went away.

I had to glue the case feeder bushing into its housing because it kept pushing out (the part that pushes against the pivot).

Ok..some superglue

Still a problem

Hornady would have been a good press and it leaves a bad taste in my mouth because I had to fix it. Its a lock-n-load, as in the bushings shouldnt come out, but they do. Ive listed a lot of my own issues with the press that shouldnt have been there the first place.

Does my Hornady press work today? Yes but Ive had to fix or tweek it. Did the Hornady press save me any money over buying a 2nd XL650? No, it was actually more expensive (I got the case feeder eventually and its a let down compared to the Dillon) At least I didnt have to buy any of the shell plates as my Dillon plates actually fit.

I forgot, I had to tape a plastic sheet on the hornady casefeeder otherwise 1 out of every 10 cases would land on my desk because it would hit the funnel lip.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 7:40:24 PM EDT
[#43]
When I first got my LnL I was ready to scrap it. I had primer issues, powder spilling issues and ejection issues.

All,of these things were my fault. I did not know how to set all the adjustments properly. I was too anxious to get loading. Once I stopped, read the manual, read forums, and watch some videos I got the press working great.

If you take the time to know how to properly setup and get the press dialed in you will be happy.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 8:04:56 PM EDT
[#44]
550 is a great machine and plenty fast.

I wanted to speed up the process a bit, bought the casefeeder for the 550. (can be used with rifle with some mods, look up the process on brainenos.com)
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 8:40:50 PM EDT
[#45]
I sold my 550.

Bought a 650.

Love them both.  But if you are going to do much pistol, a 650 is a no brainer.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 8:44:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 9:48:55 PM EDT
[#47]
I've loaded a lot of ammo on the LNL AP and the 650.

I prefer the LNL.

I hate that the cases enter on the right for the Dillon and I also hate the priming system. I don't always want a case feeder and the AP runs much better without the case feeder (and runs just as good with it).

I also like that I can drive 5 miles and get parts for it or the dies should I break something (bass pro carries Hornady supplies).

There has not been a single issue on the AP I couldn't fix in a matter of minutes. I will take that press to my grave.

I agree caliber conversions are cheaper. There really isn't a caliber conversion, you just drop in new dies. Add a powder measure insert for $10 and you don't even have to buy a new powder measure for each die set, just drop in a new insert. Turn the PM a few times until the case activated portion is right and that's it.

I have my case feeder set so two screws and maybe 2 minutes and I can switch between 45ACP, 223 and 300 blackout. I would say it takes me maybe 3 minutes to switch calibers and the added cost is a $10 powder measure insert.

Both are fine presses and they are just as fast as one a other. But I prefer the AP.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:02:15 PM EDT
[#48]
Can you swage on an ammo plant?
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:33:12 PM EDT
[#49]
There is a swaging add-on for the ammo plant. I don't think it's as simple as the GScustoms or the newer aftermarket dillon swager, though.

Kind of an odd contraption, to be honest
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:23:46 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
There is a swaging add-on for the ammo plant. I don't think it's as simple as the GScustoms or the newer aftermarket dillon swager, though.

Kind of an odd contraption, to be honest
View Quote

The hornady swager is super easy.  With a very easy home built add on, you can only feed and let the cases fall directly into a bucket or bin.  There's also a guy who invented a way to use the case feeder to autofeed, but you can't purchase it yet.  Have to build your own.  

I was under the impression Dillon will not warranty any broken parts when using an aftermarket swager on their machine.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top