Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/7/2016 11:00:35 AM EDT
Anyone using this yet? How do you like it? I'm curious of pros/ cons on it before I pop down the funds.
I've noticed with the Rcbs version sometimes cases are hard to remove from the stud so it takes some power on the press handle to dislodge it. How's this work on the Hornady system? Some high pressure spring?

Also is it only for 223 or all SPP rifle ? Same with the 7.62 version? LPP?

Link Posted: 2/7/2016 1:16:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't have hands on experience, but I have been researching it. The tool has three dies, one is just a die that you drop the case in and it aligns it with the "post" on the shell holder, the second is the actual swage die, and the last "picks" the case off of the shell plate and holds it until the NEXT case dislodges it and it falls out.

I saw a video on YouTube where a rather enterprising individual cut a slot in the tube of his case feeder about 1/3 the way up, and added a lever arm to the case sliding mechanism that would "poke" the cases out of the feed tube, flipping them upside down as they did so, and then sliding them down a chute made up of a flexible funnel.

I can't seem to find the video now, but I thought it was genius and wish there had been a better look at it.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 1:53:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Check out the thread a little farther down about swaging. You'd be limited to brass the same size as the .223 or .308. The brass sits on a rod upside down, and when cycling the press, it runs up into a sleeve to center it for the swaging.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 2:00:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Found it!

LINK
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 8:25:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Check out the thread a little farther down about swaging. You'd be limited to brass the same size as the .223 or .308. The brass sits on a rod upside down, and when cycling the press, it runs up into a sleeve to center it for the swaging.
View Quote

yes but what keeps it from sticking to the piece in the die that pushes into the hole like happens with the RCBS die? high strength spring?
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 11:37:19 PM EDT
[#5]
I bought and received mine yesterday. I was ready to set it up today for use but it says to remove the rust preventative that is all over it for shipping. The instructions say to use "one shot" or similar product, which I don't have and my reloading shop has shortened their hours so I couldn't get up there to grab a can.

I will get a can tomorrow but I cant garantee I will put it to use tomorrow.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 1:49:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I bought and received mine yesterday. I was ready to set it up today for use but it says to remove the rust preventative that is all over it for shipping. The instructions say to use "one shot" or similar product, which I don't have and my reloading shop has shortened their hours so I couldn't get up there to grab a can.

View Quote

You don't need One Shot. You can use alcohol or most gun cleaners or acetone, etc to remove the rust preventative.

Link Posted: 2/8/2016 1:56:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Hot soapy water works too.  Just make sure you get everything thouroughly dry and wiped down with an oily rag before reassembling.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 12:59:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

You don't need One Shot. You can use alcohol or most gun cleaners or acetone, etc to remove the rust preventative.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Alcohol it is!
Youtube or somewhere they said not to disassemble the swage primer punch(the part inside)but wipe down everything else?
Thanks
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 1:25:48 PM EDT
[#9]
How about mineral spirits instead of alcohol?
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 2:22:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
How about mineral spirits instead of alcohol?
View Quote

Pretty much any solvent will work. Afterwards you'll want to protect the metal with something, a light oil, paste wax, whatever, but you just want to get the heavy factory oil off and most anything will do that. WD-40, anything.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 2:51:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Thank you sir.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top