Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/22/2015 1:59:21 PM EDT
Using the Worlds fastest trimmer and they seem to be within that range. Is that normal or am I doing something wrong?
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 2:13:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I am pretty sure that the trimmer indexes off the shoulder, so depending on how much force you use to insert the case into the trimmer, this could cause a variance, as well as a build up of shavings.  I just set it up the trimmer in a drill press, and use the same pressure on the quill every time, and keep an air gun handy to blow it out occasionally.  8 thousandths is not a bad tolerance either.  But I do not know your requirements.  I am just processing GP ammo, not ultra precision stuff.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 2:14:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am pretty sure that the trimmer indexes off the shoulder, so depending on how much force you use to insert the case into the trimmer, this could cause a variance, as well as a build up of shavings.  I just set it up the trimmer in a drill press, and use the same pressure on the quill every time, and keep an air gun handy to blow it out occasionally.  8 thousandths is not a bad tolerance either.  But I do not know your requirements.  I am just processing GP ammo, not ultra precision stuff.
View Quote

Cheap Subsonic ammo from cut down .223/5.56
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 3:14:05 PM EDT
[#3]
My guess is your problem is coming from the resizing step. Make sure all cases are properly lubed and case is bottomed out when resized. if all the cases are sized the same there shouldn't be a variation of more than a .001 or .002.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 5:46:17 PM EDT
[#4]
I noticed when I made my first batch of 300 cases from 223 that the shoulder on my cases were formed differently from factory 300 cases.  The shoulder on my cases is just a bit longer and figured it out when seating bullets.  I loaded my first few rounds using factory cases and then loaded some of my cases, found the bullets were seated deeper in the brass and figured out the issue was the brass was longer due to shoulder placement.  It wasn't a huge amount, but enough to change were the bullet seated in relation to the cannelure.  It was not a fault in my trimming, but in my case forming.  I use the WFT in a cordless drill
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 6:29:27 PM EDT
[#5]
1911nick is right.

When I first starts forming 300 brass I had the same problem the OP is having. After I figured out it was my sizing that was the problem all of mine are +/- .001 or .002" now.

I use the WFT in a cordless drill also. I put a small piece of tape over each hole to keep the brass from going all over the place. Just dump it out every 25 or so cases.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 11:32:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
1911nick is right.

When I first starts forming 300 brass I had the same problem the OP is having. After I figured out it was my sizing that was the problem all of mine are +/- .001 or .002" now.

I use the WFT in a cordless drill also. I put a small piece of tape over each hole to keep the brass from going all over the place. Just dump it out every 25 or so cases.
View Quote

What was the exact problem/fix?  Needed to screw the sizing die down further?
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 7:03:45 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm glad this thread was started.  I verified my formed cases are not correct.  The shoulder on mine is too tall and today they didn't feed properly.  So now I need to try to set my die down deeper and check some measurements.  This was my first time with bottleneck brass, so live and learn
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 8:03:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 8:05:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 8:28:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
1911nick is right.

I think the problem was me not raising the ram all the way consistently every time. Like the OP I noticed about .010 or so differences in case lengths after trimming.

I checked a bunch of untrimmed cases in a gauge and noticed they were all a little different at the head end of the gauge. So I looked at the press/die setup and after paying more attention I started getting very consistent cases. I actually ended up backing the die out about half a turn.

Now after I cam over the press I give a little extra push on the handle to make sure and all has been good.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 1:46:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
<a href="http://s250.photobucket.com/user/dryflash3/media/Case%20Gauge/PB290317.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg272/dryflash3/Case%20Gauge/PB290317.jpg</a>

If you have a case gauge lower sizing die until case looks like this.

End of case below end of gauge, but above the cut.

You case looks like in the pic, it will chamber.

<a href="http://s250.photobucket.com/user/dryflash3/media/Case%20Gauge/P2100506_zps4ab43b86.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg272/dryflash3/Case%20Gauge/P2100506_zps4ab43b86.jpg</a>

If you have the Hornady headspace gauge, measure a fired case from YOUR chamber. Factory of reload, doesn't matter.

(223 pic, 300 blk works the same with a different number on caliper)

Then set your sizing die until the measurement is .003 to .004 less than a fired case.

The .003 to .004 is the amount you set the shoulder back so round will chamber and feed without issue.

Old school, no proper gauges,

If a sized case (not a loaded case) doesn't chamber and the hammer dry fire, or problems ejecting, then lower sizing die 1/16 turn, lube case size and try again.

Repeat as necessary. Go slow and don't set your sizing die to create excessive headspace.

It's probable that the shellholder will contact the sizing die, that's fine and is called cam over. A good term to look up and understand.

Good luck

View Quote

Thanks for the tips.  I set down tonight and made some adjustments to my 300 die.  I loaded brass at all stations of the LNL press and cranked the die down until they were fitting properly in the case gage like you show. I had it way off and had to run the die lower than I would have thought.  Tomorrow I get to run all of my brass through the die then trim it all again.  I used the case gauge and compared my new formed brass to some factory brass and it looks much better now.  This is my first time with rifle cartridges
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 1:51:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top