Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/27/2015 6:13:41 PM EDT
What are these good for?  Primarily target shooting or could they be used for defensive purposes in a pinch?  Asking because there is a decent local deal available.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 8:00:03 PM EDT
[#1]
HAP is for Hornady Action Pistol.  They are intended for range/competition not for self defense. If you are looking for relatively inexpensive defensive bullets Remington Golden Sabers used to be priced reasonable as components. Haven't priced them in a while though.

Of course in a pinch any bullet can be used defensively.  Even if they aren't designed with terminal performance in mind.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 8:29:22 PM EDT
[#2]
They're supposed to be accurate bullets for target shooting - and that they are. It's hard to find good bullets for defensive ammo, but XTPs would be my choice. I keep a stash of them on hand just because.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 8:55:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Supposed to be essentially the same as an XTP only without the cuts for expansion and maybe some other production steps. They probably will expand, but not as reliably or uniform.
They are intended as a match bullet like Nosler CCs, jacketed HPs tend to be the most accurate designs.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 12:53:05 PM EDT
[#4]
A few years ago I found a box of 500 of 125 gr. HAP .356 dia. for the 38 super at a small Ace hardware. Loaded up only 20 and they worked well at paper. I need to finish up loading the rest.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:45:21 PM EDT
[#5]
They *HAP" bullets lack the jacket skives to allow for reliable expansion.  You should consider that using the right bullet for the intended purpose, but it is up to you.  Gold Dots, Golden Sabers, XTP;s, or Nosler.

Nosler only makes Custom Competition bullets in 45 cal 185gr.  Their other bullet should be suitable for expansion.

Link Posted: 9/7/2015 1:26:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Well I bought 500 and loaded them this weekend.  Use will be practice/targets.  I only asked about defensive use from curiosity.  They look good and loaded well.  I'll report on them after I get a chance to go shooting.  Thanks for the replies.
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 1:53:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Self-defense "in a pinch" I would say yes. They are no worse than full metal jackets which have been used for self-defense countless times.

There are much better choices, but getting shot by any bullet will likely lead to death. People under estimate stopping power. Over 50% of all firearm deaths in the USA are caused by .22 LR rimfire ammo and this statistic has been steady for decades now.
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 10:45:49 PM EDT
[#8]
They're awesome for Bullseye.
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 11:01:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Like others have said, I wouldn't count on them for expansion. But one side benefit is they almost exactly an XTP. If your gun feeds these without issue it should have zero issues with XTPs.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top