Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/27/2015 5:48:07 PM EDT
I know that some people use small pistol primers for .223.
Would it behoove me to use them over rifle primers for .300?

I use H110 and haven't had problems using CCI 41,
just curious if it would be worth the change or if
someone has tried them out.

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 5:58:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I used them with subsonic loads and the worked fine.  If you are loading max loads I would use a rifle primer.  The issue with pistol primers is they are usually softer and the pressure could cause them to come unseated when fired and get stuck in your gun.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 6:36:01 PM EDT
[#2]
No reason to specifically use pistol primers over rifle primers, no. Since the vast majority of shooting I do with my 300 blk is subsonics, I use the cheapest SR primers I can find.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 7:02:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Just an FYI, pistol primers in .223 is a really bad idea.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 8:19:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I second this- downright dangerous.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 8:39:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Load wise I would guess they'd be fine in the subsonic loads but it all depends on pressure. I would just go with the recommended primer.

It's not like they're cheaper so what are you gaining? I also wonder if there is any slam fire worries with the pistol primers???
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 10:24:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

It happens quite often. Many people have used them.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 10:26:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Load wise I would guess they'd be fine in the subsonic loads but it all depends on pressure. I would just go with the recommended primer.

It's not like they're cheaper so what are you gaining? I also wonder if there is any slam fire worries with the pistol primers???
View Quote

Just checking around. Not getting them cheaper, just wondering if
there was any performance differences.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 11:28:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As stated I am sure you already know but just be very careful about making sure they dont end up in the full power rifle loads.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 11:36:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 1:29:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
A very bad idea to use pistol primers in 223 or 300 blk.

Doesn't matter if someones gotten away with it, a bad and dangerous practice.
View Quote

I agree. Wanted opinions.

Thought there might be a different dynamic with the shorter case.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 6:54:39 AM EDT
[#11]
I've only used them once.  H110 loads.  Per the reloading info the pressure should have been below that of .40 S&W or .357 magnum ammo - but the primers still had holes in them anyway.

That didn't happen with the same loads when using Tula small rifles primers or Federal small rifle primers.

I haven't used small pistol primers since for .300 BO since.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:00:05 PM EDT
[#12]
The only time I've used pistol primes in 300BO is with non-cycling 155gr. AMAX bullets for a break open rifle.  I was using 7.7 gr of Unique with pistol primers and they worked just fine.  Again, these were no-cycling.  I'll still make some like those to mix in with my regular subs for malfunction drills.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:04:52 PM EDT
[#13]
NO! too soft and might get slam fires in a AR..
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 7:00:57 AM EDT
[#14]
I tried the pistol primers, and the results were not good. I loaded ~20 to compare accuracy, about half of them pushed the primers out and left heavy extractor marks. There was no improvement in accuracy and nothing to gain. You definitely want to use intended primers only
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top