Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/16/2015 8:23:07 PM EDT
Looking to get a single stage press solely for precision reloading. Trying to figure out the difference between the Rock Chucker and a Co-Ax. While the Co-Ax is about double the price... $150 extra honestly isn't that much for a different press.

Other question is in regards to Redding dies I was recommended. There seems to be a Type S Match 2 die set, Type S Match 3 die set, and a Competition 3 die set. Which would you guys suggest and why? I'm trying to understand how they work and failing.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 8:49:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I would get the Forster co ax if you can afford it. I have the rock chucker and the co ax and the co ax is better. Get the inline fabrication

short roller hand for the co ax! It works much better then the stock straight handle and I have had no problems full length sizing 300 win mag

with the short handle.The 2 die type s match set has a full length resizing bushing die and a bullet seating die. The type S match 3 die

set neck sizes the brass and that is why it has 3 dies instead of two dies.  After only neck sizing the brass and firing the brass several

times it starts to fit in the chamber really tight and the shoulder needs to be bumped back.  This is what the 3rd die does it bumps the

shoulder back and sizes the case body without sizing the neck.  The third die isn't necessary on the type S 2 because a full length resizing

die sizes the neck and bumps the shoulder back and sizes the body all at the same time. I recommend using the type s match 2 die set

as long as you set up the full length resizing die properly so your not over sizing the brass.  To set it up properly your going to need a

bump gauge or an rcbs case gauge.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 8:51:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I  would recommend the Summit from RCBS.  

Less run out than a rock chucker.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 9:00:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I also have both the Rock Chucker and Co-Ax. I really like the Co-Ax better. The handle being on top (I chopped quite a bit off of mine to make it shorter) is more ergonomic for me, and the spring loaded jaws are awesome.

Also, the Co-Ax kind of lets the dies "float" so they align themselves better.

Now, if I didn't have just about everything I ever wanted I probably would still be using the Rock Chucker.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 9:24:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would get the Forster co ax if you can afford it. I have the rock chucker and the co ax and the co ax is better. Get the inline fabrication

short roller hand for the co ax! It works much better then the stock straight handle and I have had no problems full length sizing 300 win mag

with the short handle.The 2 die type s match set has a full length resizing bushing die and a bullet seating die. The type S match 3 die

set neck sizes the brass and that is why it has 3 dies instead of two dies.  After only neck sizing the brass and firing the brass several

times it starts to fit in the chamber really tight and the shoulder needs to be bumped back.  This is what the 3rd die does it bumps the

shoulder back and sizes the case body without sizing the neck.  The third die isn't necessary on the type S 2 because a full length resizing

die sizes the neck and bumps the shoulder back and sizes the body all at the same time. I recommend using the type s match 2 die set

as long as you set up the full length resizing die properly so your not over sizing the brass.  To set it up properly your going to need a

bump gauge or an rcbs case gauge.
View Quote

Thank you sir. That's roughly what I had an understanding of, but I couldn't figure out what advantage the 3 die method offers from the competition die vs the 2 die Match offering. It's like you're paying more for more hassle and equal performance?
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 9:30:24 PM EDT
[#5]
In some cases the three die set up just works better. Mostly for guys that prefer the neck size die but will still need to bump the shoulders every so many loads.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 11:42:12 PM EDT
[#6]
I needed a single stage press and was looking at my options a couple months ago. I ended up with the Co-ax and am super happy I bought it.

My main use is to develop loads. I also use it to decap odd calibers that I don't reload. I store them for trading or to save for future use. I also need to pull bullets. I had the RCBS bullet puller but on the Co-ax you can't tighten it. I am going to try the Hornady cam lock for this.

I have the stock handle on mine and I like it. I replaced the handle on my LnL with Ergo roller handle because the ball style handles hurt my carpal tunnel hands.

I love the self adjusting shell plate. That is awesome. The priming is horrible. I tried it and could not get a primer to seat. It is a terrible setup.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 12:32:10 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I needed a single stage press and was looking at my options a couple months ago. I ended up with the Co-ax and am super happy I bought it.

My main use is to develop loads. I also use it to decap odd calibers that I don't reload. I store them for trading or to save for future use. I also need to pull bullets. I had the RCBS bullet puller but on the Co-ax you can't tighten it. I am going to try the Hornady cam lock for this.

I have the stock handle on mine and I like it. I replaced the handle on my LnL with Ergo roller handle because the ball style handles hurt my carpal tunnel hands.

I love the self adjusting shell plate. That is awesome. The priming is horrible. I tried it and could not get a primer to seat. It is a terrible setup.
View Quote

Good point on the priming system. Mine does what it's made to do, it's just terribly slow. No big deal for me though as I have the RCBS universal hand priming tool.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 3:58:50 PM EDT
[#8]
For several decades my single stage press was an RCBS A2 (BIG brother to a Rockchucker).  All of my rifle rounds are loaded on my single-stage.  Recently I bought a Forster coax.  I love it.  I even prime on it.  No problem.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 4:42:30 PM EDT
[#9]
The Co-Ax for precision and ease of use. The Rock Chucker is best for some operations such as swaging primer pockets. I'd suggest getting a Co-Ax and searching for a used Rock Chucker press. Having both is handy for me as often I use them in tandem. Size pistol brass on one and expand on the other. Seat on the Co-Ax and crimp on the Rock Chucker. Size once fired military cases on the Co-Ax and swage primer pockets on the Rock Chucker without putting down the case. Having both is very handy. If you buy the Co-Ax get at least a 10 pack of Forster die lock rings for some of your dies. Some lock rings don't fit the slots on the Co-Ax. I don't use the priming system on the Co-Ax and prefer my RCBS Automatic Bench Mounted tool. While the Co-Ax priming works it's a little slow for me to set up and slow to use. Works well though if you need to use it. When changing the automatic jaws on the Co-Ax be careful as the little springs can and do shoot out to be lost in the carpeting or room.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 6:29:20 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

The Co-Ax for precision and ease of use. The Rock Chucker is best for some operations such as swaging primer pockets. I'd suggest getting a Co-Ax and searching for a used Rock Chucker press. Having both is handy for me as often I use them in tandem. Size pistol brass on one and expand on the other. Seat on the Co-Ax and crimp on the Rock Chucker. Size once fired military cases on the Co-Ax and swage primer pockets on the Rock Chucker without putting down the case. Having both is very handy. If you buy the Co-Ax get at least a 10 pack of Forster die lock rings for some of your dies. Some lock rings don't fit the slots on the Co-Ax. I don't use the priming system on the Co-Ax and prefer my RCBS Automatic Bench Mounted tool. While the Co-Ax priming works it's a little slow for me to set up and slow to use. Works well though if you need to use it. When changing the automatic jaws on the Co-Ax be careful as the little springs can and do shoot out to be lost in the carpeting or room.
View Quote

I have yet to find a lock ring that doesn't work on the Co-Ax. The Forsters do fit the tightest, but even RCBS lock rings will work. Just make sure the die doesn't migrate forward - it's an easy way to mess up a case mouth.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 10:01:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Co-Ax lock rings are manufactured to be square and straight.  That's why they cost more.

Other lock rings may not size necks and seat bullets with the degree of straightness the Co-Ax press is capable of.  
In other words, you may not be getting your money's worth.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 10:57:22 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View Quote

I prime using the larger older RCBS bench primer.
Great feel, standard shell holders.

Press priming has always been at least a little clumsy.

The hand primers all use cams and do not have as much feel as a straight lever.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 12:30:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I also have both the Rock Chucker and Co-Ax. I really like the Co-Ax better. The handle being on top (I chopped quite a bit off of mine to make it shorter) is more ergonomic for me, and the spring loaded jaws are awesome.

Now, if I didn't have just about everything I ever wanted I probably would still be using the Rock Chucker.
View Quote

Forster sells a stubby "pistol" handle for it.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/528383/forster-co-ax-single-stage-press-short-handle

Link Posted: 8/18/2015 7:31:27 PM EDT
[#14]
I love my co-ax.

Get the inline fab 'L' shaped handle, and the inline fab LED light kit.  Just peel off the stick on tape and use gorilla glue superglue GEL to stick the LED light strips on.

I also got the inline fab raised base and inline fab powder measure swing arm that attaches to the inline fab base.

Last but not least, try the Forster case lube.  Just put a drop on your finger tip and rub cases between your fingers a sec before sizing.  You'll never use anything else again.

I use a LEE decapping die to decap.  The tumble in a Rebel 17 wet tumbler.  Now brass is clean so I don't have to worry about scratching my sizing die.

Last but not least, get a mic head seating die.  They are worth it.  So much easier to adjust.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 8:00:06 PM EDT
[#15]
If I had to do it over again, I would have gotten the co-ax

That said, a conventional press like the Rock Chucker or the Hornady LnL can also make match winning ammo.  I just like the CoAx concept better.  If funds are tight, well, get what you can get.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 8:11:50 PM EDT
[#16]
The cast Rockchucker is now made in China and for that reason alone I would get the Foster between the two.  I also like the Redding Big Boss II Single Stage Reloading Press and the Lee Classic Cast Single Stage Press without the Breech Lock.  All are tough as nails from what I have seen or experienced.  I think any would do well as long as you don't buy one that is made of alloy.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 8:18:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Have both.

Co-Ax hands down.

Danny
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 9:32:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Co-ax. It is more money but it is really worth it.

Amazing press. I love mine.

I use the co-ax for precision and low volume stuff, and I just picked up a dillon 450/550 Frankenstein press for high volume and plinking ammo.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 9:38:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Co-ax. It is more money but it is really worth it.

Amazing press. I love mine.

I use the co-ax for precision and low volume stuff, and I just picked up a dillon 450/550 Frankenstein press for high volume and plinking ammo.
View Quote

I have a Co-Ax and really like it as well.  It's a lifetime investment.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 10:14:18 PM EDT
[#20]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Forster sells a stubby "pistol" handle for it.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/528383/forster-co-ax-single-stage-press-short-handle

Oh, I know. I sized some .375 Weatherby on a Co-Ax with a short handle and decided I have no reason to have any more handle, so I just chopped the original.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 11:01:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 7:47:38 PM EDT
[#22]
I have a Rockchucker I've used for years. After using a friends Co-Ax. I bought one, UPS delivered it today.  

Get the Co-Ax.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 2:05:37 AM EDT
[#23]
I bought my CoAx over 45 years ago with money from my paper route.  It was a hell of a lot of money to me then, but has been worth every penny.  I've bought other presses since then, but still use my CoAx.  I have never changed out the automatic case jaws for odd cases (like 45-70 or 45 Auto Rim), I just use slightly modified RCBS shell holders (trimmed bases so the jaws can grab them).  The amount of leverage that the CoAx generates is awesome.  It is still the only press I can think of that pulls the case into the die rather than pushing it.  I don't know if that has any bearing on its reputation for precision loads or not, but I find it interesting as a former machinist.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 8:48:48 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I bought my CoAx over 45 years ago with money from my paper route.  It was a hell of a lot of money to me then, but has been worth every penny.  I've bought other presses since then, but still use my CoAx.  I have never changed out the automatic case jaws for odd cases (like 45-70 or 45 Auto Rim), I just use slightly modified RCBS shell holders (trimmed bases so the jaws can grab them).  The amount of leverage that the CoAx generates is awesome.  It is still the only press I can think of that pulls the case into the die rather than pushing it.  I don't know if that has any bearing on its reputation for precision loads or not, but I find it interesting as a former machinist.
View Quote

I never knew the design was that old.  Has it changed at all?

Link Posted: 8/20/2015 2:16:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I  would recommend the Summit from RCBS.  

Less run out than a rock chucker.
View Quote

I have an old rockchucker but added a summit due to the ease of resizing 300 RUM with the bushing style seating dies..the summit had the most distance between the die and the shell holder of every press I looked at..I am very happy with the summit..its very easy to use and has tons of room around the work area......So OP, if you load for any of the long cased magnums and use the bushing style seating dies..you might think about that...
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 1:35:18 PM EDT
[#26]
I picked up a used Co-Ax a couple years ago and run it next to my rock chucker. I like both presses And I haven't really standardized my set up yet. If I were going to get rid of one though it would be the rock chucker.

My co-ax is the old Bonanza version that predates the Forsters. I think the design stayed the same for a long time with both manufacturers. I saw one on a store shelf the other day labelled v3 if I recall correctly. I think the mounting holes and handle were different, but I didn't have mine with me to compare the two.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 2:42:44 PM EDT
[#27]
At one point the co-ax had problems with the handle clearing longer dies.

Like micrometer head seating dies.

IIRC they added a longer handle with more clearance in the 'wishbone.'
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 3:06:16 PM EDT
[#28]
I use mine with redding competition dies zero issues.  Clears the micrometer adjuster with no issues.

For those that care, the Lock rings supplied with the new Co-Ax use Allen head screws.  Not the slotted screws anymore
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 6:46:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
At one point the co-ax had problems with the handle clearing longer dies.

Like micrometer head seating dies.

IIRC they added a longer handle with more clearance in the 'wishbone.'
View Quote

Yoke.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 6:55:15 PM EDT
[#30]
I bought a Co-ax as my only full service press about 22 years ago.  While there are times I wish I also had a progressive press, the Co-ax has handled ever loading need from .32ACP to .30-06 match loads with no issues.

Others mentioned the priming capabilities; the method is unusual compared to other presses but very consistent once set up.  In my experience it is finicky to get adjusted, especially for oddball cases (.45 Auto-Rim) where it can be hard to get the manual jaws to hold the shell dead center even with the steel alignment tool.  But once it is set, there's another issue; the hand/arm operating the handle is up over the open case as the primer is seated.  In the (very unlikely) chance that a primer being seated popped off, your arm could get sprayed with hot residue.  I've never had that happen, nor heard of it, but I wear a glove on my right hand when priming anyway.  One of the roller handles would also move the arm to the side and out of the path of a possible primer pop.

The other issue was referenced above; limited space available above the die top.  If you have an object that would normally sit on top of a die (like the bullet collection container of a Lee sizer die) the handle on the Co-Ax won't clear it and won't return to rest position, and the jaw section won't drop down all the way.  I bought one of the cheap Lee aluminum presses just to use their sizing kits.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 6:44:15 AM EDT
[#31]
I've got both. The coax is a recent addition because I have gotten very anal about my precision rifle rounds. I really wish I would have got the coax a few years ago. There really isn't anything wrong with the rock chucker, but I think the coax is just that much nicer. The biggest down side is the cost.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 10:05:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Sig_Prude,
    The only changes have been in the handle/yoke dimensions.  The basic press remains unchanged.  Why mess with perfection?
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 10:06:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Sig_Prude,
    The only changes have been in the handle/yoke dimensions.  The basic press remains unchanged.  Why mess with perfection?
View Quote

I'm in agreement!
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 10:50:26 PM EDT
[#34]
I hate round lock rings. That is the biggest issue with Forster (and other) rings. If you plan to use die on other presses, flat side rings are easier to tighten and remove IMO. I use mostly Hornady rings. Perhaps I am losing precision... but bah... I am not good enough to notice.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 11:21:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I hate round lock rings. That is the biggest issue with Forster (and other) rings. If you plan to use die on other presses, flat side rings are easier to tighten and remove IMO. I use mostly Hornady rings. Perhaps I am losing precision... but bah... I am not good enough to notice.
View Quote

Once you loosen the ring's set screw, you can easily turn it by hand.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 11:45:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's the point of having the set screw then? I am talking for swapping off/on other presses.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 4:49:52 AM EDT
[#37]

What's the point of having the set screw then? I am talking for swapping off/on other presses.
View Quote

The point of the set screw is to prevent you from turning the lock ring independently from the die body, which would change the die setting. Loosen the set screw to make adjustments, tighten to lock them down.

As for needing lock rings with flats, I use the Hornady Lock and Load bushing adapter in my rockchucker and I've never needed a wrench to put dies in or take them out of the press. I do use a large pair of channel locks with padded jaws to snug the ring down a tiny bit against the bushing after the set screw or clamping screw is tightened, but that's just because I find it awkward to do it by hand. I use rings from hornady, rcbs, and forster. The lee o-ring type are the only ones I really don't like, but that's just me being picky They worked just fine when I used them.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 8:32:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Get the Co-Ax, and their die rings.

Depending on your rifle, you might not notice the difference in accuracy.    Check with the benchrest crowd.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top