Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/30/2015 12:44:50 AM EDT
There's a great chart at this link: http://www.6mmbr.com/223rem.html  Where they compare case volumes of different brass, based on headstamp.  But it's getting a bit dated.  I'm curious if anyone is aware of a similar chart, that includes Wolf Gold casings?  I have a decent amount of that brass, and am considering ordering even more of the ammo.  I do some longer range shooting (600 yards), and quality of components can start to matter.  Usually I use LC and Win, but I'm wondering if this brass is good enough as those two.  And how it's case volume compares.

I'm guessing someone somewhere has already tested that - and hopefully they see this inquiry!

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 2:52:57 AM EDT
[#1]
I seriously doubt you'll ever see a chart with that brass listed in it unless someone does their own.
I've loaded some of that brass and appears to be really good stuff, tight primer pockets too.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 5:25:27 AM EDT
[#2]
You already have the brass, so the best and safest way to find the answer to your question is to measure the brass yourself.

1) Take a couple of all three types of "Unsized" brass that have been fired from your gun.

2) Weigh each case and record.

3) Fill each case with H20 level with the case mouth and weigh again.

4) Subtract, this is your case capacity in grains of H20.

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 3:48:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I could be wrong, but I recall reading that Privi makes Wolf Gold....?

I have a lot of PPU, and the empty case weight delta can run several grains between the lightest and heaviest. However, they weigh similar to Lapua.
I do workups with the PPU and save the good brass for tweaking / record

I too am interested in more data.....
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 3:56:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You already have the brass, so the best and safest way to find the answer to your question is to measure the brass yourself.

1) Take a couple of all three types of "Unsized" brass that have been fired from your gun.

2) Weigh each case and record.

3) Fill each case with H20 level with the case mouth and weigh again.

4) Subtract, this is your case capacity in grains of H20.

View Quote

Alcohol, or a mixture of alcohol and water, will give better results, as it has less surface tension, and will therefore have much less of a meniscus at the case mouth.

OP, what are you trying to tie case volume to?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top