Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/29/2015 12:33:21 PM EDT
I have a barely used (200 round at most) Dillon 650 that I am thinking about selling, trying to figure out where to price it.  Do they hold their value pretty well?  Thanks.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 12:38:47 PM EDT
[#1]

I think they hold their value pretty well.  I would post it on the EE for 20% under retail and see if you get any bites.

I guess the big question is how fast do you want to sell it.  At 50% below retail I think it would be gone today.

You might post it on the Brian Enos forums as well.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 12:41:56 PM EDT
[#2]
If  you check ebay as a benchmark...80% would be the norm. Depending on condition, 85+ is not uncommon. My try armslist  in your local area as well.

Either way ...it wont last long.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 1:01:05 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If you check ebay as a benchmark...80% would be the norm. Depending on condition, 85+ is not uncommon. My try armslist in your local area as well.

Either way ...it wont last long.
View Quote

Just remember with Ebay your going to lose some with fees.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 1:08:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I sold my 650 after I had to move from the shooting in my home and I think I got about 90%. The interesting part is I was selling it locally and the buyer was in another state. He had a friend who lived nearby meet with me, pay me, and then ship him the press and accessories. I still question to this day why he wouldn't just buy a new one. After all that trouble and the cost of shipping, he had to have spent more than a new one.

I've been looking for a 9mm SDB to have a devoted subsonic press and I can't even find one discounted enough from their retail price to make it worth it. So I'd say Dillon products hold their value EXTREMELY well.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 1:12:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I sold my 650 after I had to move from the shooting in my home and I think I got about 90%. The interesting part is I was selling it locally and the buyer was in another state. He had a friend who lived nearby meet with me, pay me, and then ship him the press and accessories. I still question to this day why he wouldn't just buy a new one. After all that trouble and the cost of shipping, he had to have spent more than a new one.

I've been looking for a 9mm SDB to have a devoted subsonic press and I can't even find one discounted enough from their retail price to make it worth it. So I'd say Dillon products hold their value EXTREMELY well.
View Quote

There was a shooting in your home, or I read that wrong?

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 1:23:44 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Background: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1638294_Ask_a_guy_who_defended_himself_in_a_home_invasion_anything__Well__almost_anything_.html
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 1:31:50 PM EDT
[#7]
I think they do too.  Or wait until the next shooting event in the news and you should get full price.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 1:35:01 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I think they do too. Or wait until the next shooting event in the news and you should get full price.
View Quote

I bought mine during the Sandy Hook panic.  Stuck it on backorder at regular price and waited it out.  Plenty of people were forking out more than retail because they wanted it right away.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 1:35:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I think they do too.  Or wait until the next shooting event in the news and you should get full price.
View Quote

Reloading PRESS panic/  I don't think so.  Supplies, maybe.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 1:41:17 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Reloading PRESS panic/ I don't think so. Supplies, maybe.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I think they do too. Or wait until the next shooting event in the news and you should get full price.

It never got too crazy.  During the Sandy Hook fiasco Dillon was backordered about six months though and if you wanted it right then the used market was a little over the new cost.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 2:00:10 PM EDT
[#11]
The only place where you will probably lose money is with certain accessories.   I bought 550 that had every Dillon option that you could buy.  I didn't buy the press to flip it, but it was the only way that I could buy all of his powder & primers.  Needless to say the seller must of had a kaboom or something.   The press was brand new.   When I went to sell it, I got 85% of retail and sold in one day in a local gun board.  (Note I bought it for 70% of retail), but the "Low Powder alarm", I couldn't even give it away.   The bullet tray, again its still here even though I was selling them for 50% of current retail.  So the press itself really holds its value.  The life time warranty is what makes that happen.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 2:07:59 PM EDT
[#12]
50% or so.  Off to the EE
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 2:19:59 PM EDT
[#13]
They do hold their value pretty well. I've been offered pretty close to 100% for mine with everything as it sits. I have 8 or 9 conversions with it fully set up.
A few other reloaders have offered full price to have it NOW.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 5:21:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yessir, as linked above.

Being a tech forum I won't go into it any further here.

Either way, to bring this back to the topic, the press was sold innnnn.... Late 2012, so it very well could have been that I made what I did because it was close to Sandy Hook, but I still think they retain their value either way. The only thing that will reduce what you make is if you ship it. Presses are typically large and heavy, so you get stuck with a large shipping cost.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 6:52:40 PM EDT
[#15]
2 Facebook Dillon groups I follow, current market is 80-85% of new price will sell rather fast, and the press's move fast there ..

Page 1

Page 2
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:33:36 PM EDT
[#16]
To date i only advertised 1 dillon, that lasted 25 min. Took the buyer that long to drive here.  The other dillons were sold, because someone  inquired if i'd be interested selling one.
Sure, the 5% loss i flipped to another dillon that day. It's like trading a car in every 3 years.Spent primer tray's full, time to sell it.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:50:17 PM EDT
[#17]
I sold 2 650's with casefeed systems for a total of just over 3K the summer after Sandy Hook. ALL Dillon reloading equipment was going for well over retail. One guy that bought my 650 in 223 had a good stash of components and said he would recover the cost of the press in one day. Probably taking a few breaks in-between loading sessions, too.

Having 3K in-hand, I ordered 2 new 1050's (With Carbide rifle dies), along with 2 650's for 2 friends. We were told by Cassie at Graf and Sons that it would take several months to get them. One friend had just gone through a year of Chemo, and later that day while driving home I was thinking it would be nice to find a press somewhere for him to use. My cell phone rang, and it was Cassie. She said "a truckload of stuff we ordered for stock just arrived from Dillon, and the presses you want are on it, all four!".

So yes, the presses were at a premium at that time, and are probably worth 80+ percent of the new value, right now.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:38:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Dillon was back ordered on presses, dies, and accessories for quite stretch there.
So YEAH there was an equipment panic.  Redding just recently started taking custom die orders!
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:20:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I have a barely used (200 round at most) Dillon 650 that I am thinking about selling, trying to figure out where to price it.  Do they hold their value pretty well?  Thanks.

View Quote

Why would you want to sell it ???

They hold there value very well.

Like others said, post it here, and on brian enos forum and it will sell

....or post it at a local gunclub that holds USPSA/IPSC matches and you won't have to ship it.

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 8:46:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

It never got too crazy.  During the Sandy Hook fiasco Dillon was backordered about six months though and if you wanted it right then the used market was a little over the new cost.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I sold a set of Dillon 40s&w dies (used) for about $300 on eBay when Dillon was backed up.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:34:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Dillon was back ordered on presses, dies, and accessories for quite stretch there.
So YEAH there was an equipment panic.
View Quote

I believe everyone was 6 months back order during this time.  If I was to sell reloading stuff I would wait until the next panic. If a democrat wins the presidency it will probably boost sales/desires for reloading gear. Wait until another big shooting where every shooter buys every bullet they can find and you're BOUND to find someone saying they'll start reloading because it's easier to find components.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 1:55:22 AM EDT
[#22]
OP should find out where the local gun ranges are that have USPSA and/or IDPA matches.  Then see if they have their own forum or facebook page, post it there.

Do the transaction in person at the range or match, get paid cash, and avoid all the hassles of shipping and paypal.

You could easily get 80%+ of the original retail value.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top