Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/29/2015 12:16:50 PM EDT
Been thinking of getting one as me and a few friends shoot a hell of a lot of 5.56 in a month's time. We shoot 55g and 77g through our rifles. I primarily fire 77g through 2 of mine. One other is a plinker that sees 55g through it.

Just been wanting to speed up our loading time a bit with a feeder and wanted some input.

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 1:39:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Tagged.  What's your current case proccessing cycle look like?  I would like to go with a bullet feeder sometime as well.  Ideally I could automate the cycle and have it set to stop and beep if any errors are detected.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 2:15:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Haven't really timed the round count. Picking up projectiles and seating them seems like it could be really cut but by the bullet feeder.
We shoot a lot. A hell of a lot in a month's time. Between the 3 of us, probably 5-6k rounds. Any way to cut loading time would help. And please the missus.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 2:19:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I assume your loading in two passes.  How do you handle swaging?  Are you already trimming on the 650?

Unfortunately I don't have a bullet feeder, so for now it's just a bump.  Hopefully someone will come along soon who has used one.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 3:16:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I resize and trim in a separate operation. I have a separate tool head set up for that. Tumble off the sizing lube after sizing/trimming.

I swage the primer pockets when I get the brass and it still has the primer crimp. Never had to after that. Usually one of the guys is doing that step on newer brass when one of us is sizing or loading.
I have quite a few 5 gallon buckets of 5.56 brass in different stages of prep.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 3:39:33 PM EDT
[#5]
if You load in two passes, You will love the Mr. bullet feeder.

I had one on My 650, was awesome, I have since moved to a 1050.

But if You load that much, Mr. Bulletfeeder on Your 650 is Your best bet.

I wouldn't load mass without it on a progressive, easy set up, and very reliable.

Pretty much designed for a Dillon machine.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 4:20:43 PM EDT
[#6]
ChevelleDave:  Rick recommends using a Lyman M die to keep the bullets upright and straight (with minimal flare) while it advances to the seater.  Curious as to what your experience with that was?

I think the Mr. Bullet Feeder is a great bullet feeder.....pricy but I haven't heard any negatives besides that, except that unlike the Hornady and RCBS Rifle Bullet Feeders, they require 2 stations...........moot point if one has a 1050 or was to buy a new RCBS Pro Chucker 7.

I have a bullet feeder for pistol, and was waiting for Hornady's "rifle conversion kit" that never happened.  Instead they want us to buy two collator/bullet feeder outfits.  At least the Mr. Bullet Feeder only needs one collator.  For me, I just bought .223 and .308 RCBS Gold Medal Seaters.  Those are competition seaters where you simply drop a bullet in through the top......no guiding required.  I've found that that method is way faster than feeding them by hand underneath.

While not quite as speedy as a feeder/collator, the Gold Medal "feeder" is way faster than the old way and makes loading rifle on my progressive much more pleasant.  BTW, RCBS uses a very similar seater on their rifle bullet feeder....only the "drop-in" is automated and case activated from a collator.  I would like to build my own bullet-flipping collator to similarly feed the Gold Medal Seaters as well as the Hornady pistol feeder dies..........shucks, all I need is time!
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:55:24 PM EDT
[#7]
I have the older style on my 1050 and the newer style on my 650. I know the owner/inventor personally. Smart guy!

Any way they have quirks but work great when your dialed in. I use them for 9mm, 223, 40 cal, 10mm & 45. 30 cal is next.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:15:54 PM EDT
[#8]
I have it not on a dillon tho .

Its on my pro chucker 5.  Best part of the machine.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 11:01:34 PM EDT
[#9]
The Mr Bullet Feeder, once setup right, is fantastic. I run it on my 1050 but there would be no difference on your 650. The thing to keep in mind it DOES require fiddling to get it optimized for each caliber. I have conversions for 308, 223, 45acp, and 9mm... All work fantastic. I had to fiddle a bit to get things perfect. Anything from a tight spring tube (feed tube) to a misadjusted tilt on the hopper can cause real issues. Each caliber is different. I could NEVER get the 220 Nosler's to feed for 300BO... I know there are complaints about that.

For 223, I had no issues feeding 55SP's, 77 Nosler CC, and 77 Sierra MK.. But I did have to make slight adjustments for each to run smoothly.

Keep in mind, I have to make sure things are absolutely perfect for my 1050 cause the last thing I want to do is take my finger off the Autodrive button. MBF works that well...

I won't get into the problems I had with the Hornady pistol BF... junk. But their rifle one works great with added benefit of feeding and seating in one step. It works on the 650 but not the 1050 (else I may have kept it).

The only problem with the MBF is that it doesn't seat... Which results in loss of a hole.. For me, that means no crimp die. I am not trusting enough to get rid of my powder check die.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 11:45:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the replies everyone. I really appreciate all the input.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 4:34:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
ChevelleDave:  Rick recommends using a Lyman M die to keep the bullets upright and straight (with minimal flare) while it advances to the seater.  Curious as to what your experience with that was?
View Quote

I do run the M die, second station on My 1050 loading head. You can get away without it on the 1050 if using the crimp flare die, but I still use it. set it down till the bullets set just right, and go to town.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 4:41:33 AM EDT
[#12]
I run a GSI feeder on a 650.  Works well
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top