Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/27/2015 4:27:23 PM EDT
Somewhere (sorry, forgot where) I saw an ad for a "kit" to reload .22 rimfire ammo.

Anyone know anything about this?

cap
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 4:41:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 5:44:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Cheerio sir. Looks like a huge PITA!

http://22lrreloader.com/
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 5:49:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 7:22:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FB41] [#4]
I have to admit it... I'm really tempted to buy that damn thing.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 7:41:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Ummmm... that seems like a lot of trouble ...

I would have thought a .22 Hornet ( Or such ) a more practical .22 to reload.

Getting a consistent "primer" in a .22 rimfire seems problematic.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 7:45:53 PM EDT
[#6]
I remember reading an article years ago about how guys behind the iron curtain in Germany I believe did it.  Match heads, cast bullets and I don't remember the powder they used.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 8:01:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bfoosh06:

View Quote

exactly, and you can down load the hornet quite a bit toward .,22 lr speeds.

a .22 k hornet or a .221 fireball does better with case life.  
I still want a regular .22 hornet though.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 8:06:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By bfoosh06:

View Quote

Might be interesting for someone who likes to tinker and cast bullets.  I think it would be interesting to see how accurate and reliable reloaded rimfire ammo could be and it could be a good tool to have tucked away (after trying it) for SHTF uses.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 10:13:50 PM EDT
[#9]
It's funny because one of my favorite calibers is .223 shot from just about anything I have which includes AR's (of course), AR pistol, and my all day favorite, a 10" scoped Contender.

I shoot a lot of .22 from the Contender (in 10" as well), and that's what got me interested in the 22 Hornet.

So I can verify that the 22 Hornet is as much fun as a .22 can get, and you get the added benefit of procedural reloading so you can play with all sorts of loads and bullet weights.

Anyone tempted to go through the PITA of reloading rimfire .22 really should look into 22 Hornet first. You'll be happy you did.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 10:45:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 11:57:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Colt653] [#11]
wow...never thought I'd ever see that.

when 22LR got hard to find, I switched the kids to .357 bunny-fart loads in a 16" 1892 Winchester clone.

hardcast 140gr MBC's and a small amount of CLAYS or 231

It's pretty cheap to shoot, and the kids don't mind policing up the brass.

I'm seeing 22LR back in stock, more and more, and have several thousand rounds saved up.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 6:21:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Deltahawk:
It's funny because one of my favorite calibers is .223 shot from just about anything I have which includes AR's (of course), AR pistol, and my all day favorite, a 10" scoped Contender.

I shoot a lot of .22 from the Contender (in 10" as well), and that's what got me interested in the 22 Hornet.

So I can verify that the 22 Hornet is as much fun as a .22 can get, and you get the added benefit of procedural reloading so you can play with all sorts of loads and bullet weights.

Anyone tempted to go through the PITA of reloading rimfire .22 really should look into 22 Hornet first. You'll be happy you did.
View Quote

I've got a Contender in .22 K-Hornet AND a Savage 340 in .22 Hornet... and I'm still tempted to buy one of those loaders...
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 7:40:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Never knew this existed.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 2:28:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Did some reloading 22 shorts as a kid. Had an older neighbor who was my range instructor. Reused brass and bullets that I dug out of the sand berm. Don't remember what we used for priming compound or powder. Rifles were bolt action, single shot so we were able to orient the cartridges so the firing pin didn't hit the previous shot. It was a lot of effort, but a good start on years of reloading. I won't be buying the kit.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 4:36:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Should we be converting everything to .25" ACP instead?
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:45:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By dryflash3:
I can see reloading 22 LR due to the fact it's hard to find/expensive.

I haven't fired any of my 22's for 5 or 6 years. Some folks want to shoot their 22's.

Since I can reload 9mm cheaper than buying 22 LR, my 22's sit in the safe.
View Quote

Sad isn't it. When one shoots center fire, because it's cheaper, who'd a thunk it.  Good thing the spouse has always been one of those Hey there's some ammo in stock, lets buy it, type of gals.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:39:36 AM EDT
[#17]

Yep, that's what came to mind.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Originally Posted By lokifox:

I didn't see what was used for the primer material, anyone know?

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 12:07:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Chaingun:

View All Quotes

The article I read where they talked about it in east Germany mentioned matchheads from strike anywhere matches I believe.  Get it wet an put it in.  Probably can't easily  spin it to get good/uniform coverage.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 3:02:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By jhereg:

The article I read where they talked about it in east Germany mentioned matchheads from strike anywhere matches I believe.  Get it wet an put it in.  Probably can't easily  spin it to get good/uniform coverage.
View All Quotes

You can also use the rolls of caps, the kind from old cap guns.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 4:21:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By unknownhavoc:

View All Quotes

So cut the caps open and put  the mixture at the bottom?  Or try to cut out the cap and stuff it in there?
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 4:36:18 PM EDT
[#21]

I think you're suppose to mix it with water or alcohol and make a slurry. Like they do with real priming compound in rimfires.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:05:21 PM EDT
[#22]

I think you're suppose to mix it with water or alcohol and make a slurry. Like they do with real priming compound in rimfires.
View Quote

So if a guy was to take about 100 rolls of caps, cut them open, make a slurry out of the powder, mold a block on a steel plate and hit it w/ a hammer?
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:05:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 8:35:33 PM EDT
[#24]
I sort of understand about .22RF being a little more expensive these days, but just think of all the BS you have to go through to recycle .22RF (yes, I'd call it "recycle" rather than "reloading"), it seems to me that maybe spending even $50 for a brick of 500 rounds isn't so terribly bad.

I know it hurts when many of us remember being able to buy a brick for less than $5 on sale, but it is what it is today.

It's one thing if .22RF just wasn't available, period, but it can be found lots of places, just not yet for what we'd all like to pay for it.

Maybe if .22RF ever hit a $100/brick price point and stayed there long term, I'd give this some thought, but life's too short to mess with recycling .22RF when there's so much 9mm and other standard calibers around.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 4:11:32 PM EDT
[#25]
At the big box where I work, when we get bulk in, we're selling it for just over $.05 a round.  We get bulk in regularly.  CCI minimags go for a bit more.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 11:50:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Trollslayer] [#26]
Originally Posted By Deltahawk:
It's one thing if .22RF just wasn't available, period, ...

Maybe if .22RF ever hit a $100/brick price point and stayed there long term, ....
View Quote

If 22RF gets to be too expensive people will likely stop shooting it.  I think the entire world of rimfire sport shooting revolves around the concept that it is inexpensive.  

Yes, it is low recoil, too, so the kids can shoot it but other loads can be made low recoil, too.

The whole concept of working with match heads is ridiculous and making a slurry out of caps is nothing short of dangerous/deadly.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 12:04:55 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Trollslayer:  If 22RF gets to be too expensive people will likely stop shooting it.  I think the entire world of rimfire sport shooting revolves around the concept that it is inexpensive.  

Yes, it is low recoil, too, so the kids can shoot it but other loads can be made low recoil, too.

The whole concept of working with match heads is ridiculous and making a slurry out of caps is nothing short of dangerous/deadly.
View Quote

Dangerous - moderately.  Deadly?  No more than blackpower shotshell reloading.  Don't smoke around it, follow the procedure.  There's no mysteries about it.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 2:24:36 AM EDT
[#28]
I wonder if this kit could be used to reload an oddball 22 round like a Winchester 22 Auto. Those are rare and expensive.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 9:24:23 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

Dangerous - moderately.  Deadly?  No more than blackpower shotshell reloading.  Don't smoke around it, follow the procedure.  There's no mysteries about it.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Trollslayer:  If 22RF gets to be too expensive people will likely stop shooting it.  I think the entire world of rimfire sport shooting revolves around the concept that it is inexpensive.  

I am still concerned.  Priming compound can be set off in all sorts or ways to which black powder is not sensitive, and it does not require heat.  If someone mixes a large slurry batch and it gets too dry during use...  If someone makes a "brick", as already mentioned above,...

Link Posted: 8/3/2015 11:26:16 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Trollslayer:

I am still concerned.  Priming compound can be set off in all sorts or ways to which black powder is not sensitive, and it does not require heat.  If someone mixes a large slurry batch and it gets too dry during use...  If someone makes a "brick", as already mentioned above,...
View All Quotes

Both of those instances would be NOT following the procedure.  Clearly this is more dangerous than standard reloading, and requires more care.  If one chooses to be a dumbass about it - POOF!  No eyebrows, or worse.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 10:48:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Trollslayer] [#31]

Both of those instances would be NOT following the procedure.  Clearly this is more dangerous than standard reloading, and requires more care.  If one chooses to be a dumbass about it - POOF!  No eyebrows, or worse.
View All Quotes

Well, I know I am enough of a dumb ass to know this is BAD idea; all around a bad idea.  You're welcome to try it if you want but there is nothing about this that appeals to me.

Honestly, if rimfire is ever so scarce that this is the only way to get it, I'll shoot a different cartridge.

Take care.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 4:29:01 PM EDT
[#32]
I've started casting 22 (along with all the other calibers I shoot) and have got the cost of .223 ammo down to about 6-7 cents a round. Feeds fine, accurate enough. And I truly enjoy the casting, lubing, process.

But I do hope the availability of .22 rimfire returns to yesteryear. Price, well, that's another story. Whatever the market will bare (bear?)

cap
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 4:33:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By capvan:  I've started casting 22 (along with all the other calibers I shoot) and have got the cost of .223 ammo down to about 6-7 cents a round. Feeds fine, accurate enough. And I truly enjoy the casting, lubing, process.

But I do hope the availability of .22 rimfire returns to yesteryear. Price, well, that's another story. Whatever the market will bare (bear?)

cap
View Quote

I'm seeing limited availability (200 rnds) below $.05/rnd.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 11:10:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GWhis] [#34]
I'm not understanding why all the talk about match heads?

The company making this .22 reloading product supplies the primer chemicals.....they are inert until they are mixed together.  They include a bottle of acetone to make the slurry, you follow instructions, then let it dry overnight....then add powder (Unique was mentioned in the instructions) and bullet then crimp.

While I'm in no hurry to load 500 that way, it does seem to be a reasonable storage item, that will surely come in handy, if factory .22 ammo ever becomes extinct.  You don't want to wait too long........they've already outlawed this kit in the Netherlands.  

As for reloading it now......maybe....it might be good to try it out and see what kind of time it takes.....then you know....when an emergency need comes along that makes it necessary to make some quickly.

BTW.......if I were a betting man, I'd bet the primer stuff they offer might have it's beginning with something like.........Tannerite!

I haven't bought the product yet.......but I can see where it might be wise to have such a thing in an Emergency Prepardness year supply, along with food, medicine, and water.......and more potent ammo....thet you might have to sell or leave behind.  Better stock up at the range with .22 brass too.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 11:16:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 12:48:31 AM EDT
[#36]
You're welcome...I wasn't going to post here, but there were some posts that made that company seem less than professional.  I think they are legit, obviously so does the NRA.

Here's an even more informative link on this product (from NRA Shooting Sports USA)

http://www.ssusa.org/articles/2015/8/18/reloading-22-long-rifle-a-new-option-for-competitors/

BTW, in the above article reference is made to the company providing instructions even....on removing firing pin dimples in the brass rims!  Seems they have thought of everything.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 5:42:18 PM EDT
[#37]
I have seen U tube video's where this can be done,however as a kid I was told you can get hurt playing with match heads
However if you could use an already available priming compound this could be an interesting experiment.Not practical though.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 8:59:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By JohnInPA:
I have seen U tube video's where this can be done,however as a kid I was told you can get hurt playing with match heads
However if you could use an already available priming compound this could be an interesting experiment.Not practical though.
View Quote

I read about this ages ago and it was in regards to people behind the iron curtain who couldn't buy ammo.   Reloaded 22 ammo would beat no ammo, but if I can buy commercial 22 ammo I'd have to agree it probably isn't worth it.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:03:52 PM EDT
[#39]
what a conundrum, make bullets out of the brass or reload them back into 22lr's.

Ok looks like ill try and get a kit ordered and see if its all that.. Wonder if I could get NOE to make me a gang mould.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:30:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GHPorter] [#40]
I think it looks fairly effective, if not particularly simple or efficient.  The NRA article posted above goes through all the details pretty well.  The toughest part seems to be cleaning out the once-fired brass.  I'd want a way to un-dent the first firing's firing pin dent, because it looks like that's an issue both with priming and then firing the reloaded rounds.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 12:08:54 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 4:51:56 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By GWhis:
I'm not understanding why all the talk about match heads?

View Quote

Because, up until just a few days ago, that was THE instructions given to create priming compound for this product. Also keep in mind, this new priming compound is corrosive, still light years better than match heads & capgun caps though. Removing firing pin dents & using smokeless powder are also new.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 8:25:39 AM EDT
[#43]

I'm thinking wet tumbling would clean the cases well.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GHPorter:
I think it looks fairly effective, if not particularly simple or efficient.  The NRA article posted above goes through all the details pretty well.  The toughest part seems to be cleaning out the once-fired brass.  I'd want a way to un-dent the first firing's firing pin dent, because it looks like that's an issue both with priming and then firing the reloaded rounds.

I'm thinking wet tumbling would clean the cases well.

I thought that too, but I would want to know the thickness of the inside of that rim.  Those little cases might catch normal pins, so I'm thinking maybe smaller/shorter pins might be needed.  On the other hand, a Harbor Freight rotary tumbler drum would hold a buttload of .22LR cases, so if the pins work, you could get a lot of cases cleaned without a lot of hardware involved...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top