Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/4/2015 10:12:13 PM EDT
I can't find anything for this round. What are people using that have wildcats? Only gauges for common factory rounds seem to be available
What about this kit? There's nothing indicating if it would work or not.
Hornady Lock N Load Headspace Gauge Kit
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 10:34:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 1:08:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
<a href="http://s250.photobucket.com/user/dryflash3/media/Case%20Gauge/P2100506_zps4ab43b86.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg272/dryflash3/Case%20Gauge/P2100506_zps4ab43b86.jpg</a>

Attach to a caliper and use the proper adaptor and measure fired cases from your chamber. Write this number down for future use.

Set your sizing die to set the shoulder back .002 for a bolt action rifle.

.003 to .004 for a semi auto.
View Quote

I don't know if the proper adapter is available. Does the Hornady kit have the adapter that will work for the 338 Lapua Improved?
Just checked Hornady's website and there's no adapter for the 338 Lapua or Improved. ???
http://www.hornady.com/store/Lock-N-Load-Headspace-Kit-With-Body-1-Each/
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 12:11:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 6:03:18 AM EDT
[#4]
You can get a custom collet made as well. Never heard of anyone actually doing it, but Hornady lists the 'F' collet as a blank which can be machined for whatever datum line you want.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 9:27:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I have some 480 Ruger brass that I could use to establish a datem line.  According to my reamer print, the shoulder is .57 and the neck is .372. I could use any point in between to use as a point of reference. Right? Slide the 480 Ruger brass over the Lapua AI shoulder case where it should make contact between those 2 points. The trick would be keeping it square to get an accurate measurement.
Would that work?
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 3:58:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Heres what you need, it doesn't use a datum line but rather the shoulder angle to measure off....should be perfect for what you need...

sinclair 338 Lm bump bushing
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:34:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Heres what you need, it doesn't use a datum line but rather the shoulder angle to measure off....should be perfect for what you need...

sinclair 338 Lm bump bushing
View Quote

My Lapua Improved uses a 40 degree shoulder angle. The regular Lapua uses a 20 degree angle.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 12:04:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 8:32:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Giraud makes a gauge for the regular 338 round. Maybe he will make you one?
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 9:17:13 AM EDT
[#10]
What is important is the diameter used as the datum.  Do you know that number for your 338LMI cartridge?  If there's a SAAMI spec for this cartridge, you can get the number from their spec sheets.

How about asking the barrel maker (the one who did the chambering)?  Heck, the maker of the chamber reamer would know, too.

If you are only concerned with  the amount the should gets set back during sizing, you don't need any particular gage size, just something close - anything that is large enough to fit over the case neck and avoids the radius at the neck-shoulder junction.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top