Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/4/2015 5:32:12 PM EDT
I hope this is reloading related enough for this forum.

I bought some of the Howard Lieght Impact Sports, They do not fit My big head very well, and thus do not provide adequate protection.

I'm going to be doing quite a bit of load development, as well as general practice shooting and some competitions. So I am wanting to upgrade to some REALLY good ear protection. I have some hereditary hearing loss, as well as damage from years of working heavy equipment.

I don't mind spending some serious coin in this area, if I have to.

Any suggestions?

ETA, I don't like using foam ear plugs, they give Me a headache. I'm looking into the electronic, so that I can hear what's going on around Me, and I don't have to remove them to hear people talking when I'm not actually shooting.

Thanks, Dave.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 5:54:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Just go with ear plugs. Howard leight Max have awesome hearing protection compared to all the other ear plugs out there.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 5:59:59 PM EDT
[#2]
The original Howard Leight Impact were green and do not provide enough hearing protection. They came out with a bigger much thicker black pair that work very well.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 6:00:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Look for the highest NRR rating. The Max has 33....

I also like the Howard Leight Impact Pro but don't know how it fits compared to the sport version.

Checkout out peltor or msa. They are super high quality earmuffs.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 6:32:40 PM EDT
[#4]
HL Impact Pro seem pretty good, reasonable price.

Howard Lieght Impact Pro

I was thinking of these, buit the HL have a higher NRR.

Peltor

Thing I like about the Peltor is the gel rings.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 7:22:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I use the pelter tactical sports, they work great, no issue even against  braked 300 Rum ....

http://www.amazon.com/3M-Tactical-Hearing-Protector-Compatible/dp/B000Q04MRG
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 8:18:35 PM EDT
[#6]
I use foam ear plugs AND muffs during tournaments to reduce distractions while shooting. Otherwise ear muffs work fine by themselves.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 9:14:40 PM EDT
[#7]
You might try giving the plugs more of a chance. I wear them 8+ hours a day and while I "notice" them the annoyance lessens the more you wear them. The NRR for plugs is hard to match. Look for some ergo models like the Howard Leight Max.

Max
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 9:47:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Over the last 25 years I've worn every kind, just get pressure headaches from them, then I take them out to talk to someone, bitch to get back in, and Someone starts shooting, it's too late.

I use ear muffs solely now, don't really need them in the position I've moved to at work now.

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 10:18:29 PM EDT
[#9]
The custom molded silicone ear plugs are amongst the most comfortable and are definitely the highest NRR I own.  They pop right in and out - no waiting for the foam to expand.  When I want extra protection, like during load development testing, I use over the ear muffs on top of the silicone plugs.

Have you tried the silicone clay/wax plugs.  The stuff is usually orange in color and molds to your ear.  There's no residual stress, no pressure of the foam trying to expand.  You can get it at your local pharmacy.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 11:18:27 PM EDT
[#10]
I actually have a set of the custom made plugs, that got made for Me at work. I brought them home one weekend and tried them. they are not good enough on their own. I learned that. Took one shot, and the Guy next to Me lit off His .50 cal, and My head was ringing.

I'm really thinking that I'd like to find some muffs that fit, and I'd be good to go. I've read several reviews where People have said they had the same problem with the impact sports, just being to small to seal over Their ears.

I might just order the Peltor's and see if they fit. If they don't, My son gets a new pair of Muffs, and I'll keep looking.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 11:07:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I actually have a set of the custom made plugs, that got made for Me at work. I brought them home one weekend and tried them. they are not good enough on their own. I learned that. Took one shot, and the Guy next to Me lit off His .50 cal, and My head was ringing.

I'm really thinking that I'd like to find some muffs that fit, and I'd be good to go. I've read several reviews where People have said they had the same problem with the impact sports, just being to small to seal over Their ears.

I might just order the Peltor's and see if they fit. If they don't, My son gets a new pair of Muffs, and I'll keep looking.
View Quote

Molded plugs are molded with your face/ears in one position, while your ears don't move a whole lot they do move which changes the internals slightly, molded plugs can only adapt so much. However a 50BMG with a brake close enough can make your head "ring" from the pressure and bone conduction, no amount of hearing protection will stop that.

Peltor Tac 100s are about equivalent to HL Impact Sports, only with a larger headband and softer cups, the cups are also shallower, which annoys me. Other gripes, auto off after 2 hours, this is not two hours from last loud sound, use compression to limit noise, overly sensitive to sharp sounds that aren't loud, slow to recover after activation.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 1:10:28 PM EDT
[#12]

I to get headaches from ear plugs ( have tried many kinds and types )

I am using Peltor Tachtical 7,  so comfortable I forget I have them on,
Have had them for 15 years, have installed the Hygene Kit ( foam ring and foam mat inside the ring )
 6 times
( my wife also shoots, she tried them and insited I get her some, I was lucky to find a pair of old stock for her)
 The Tac 7 is no longer available  but is very similar to the Tachtical Pro

I know they are priced more than most of the others but I feel they are worth the extra
My hearing is impaired from a life time of load machinery, but with the Tac 7s I can hear the range commands clearly
and also the birds and other sounds  that I can not hear without them
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 1:28:55 PM EDT
[#13]
I use a set of custom molded plugs that are made by filling your ear with silicone, then attaching a lanyard to each. I get them done at the Denver Gun Show every 3-4 years @ about $50 per set.  I've used these type for years and they provide the best protection you can buy.  When around large caliber magnum rifles or 50 cal, I add a set of muffs on top of them and can't hear anything so they are a pain if I'm a Range Officer and need to hear radio calls between ranges.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 2:11:09 PM EDT
[#14]
I use MidwayUSA branded Peltof muffs. Big bastards, and they aren't electronic, but they are the best muffs I have ever worn.

I have some Howard Leight Impact Sports electronics that absolutely suck. They won't seal over my hat and glasses.

I'll grab my computer and find a link.

NRR 30db and they cost $20.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 2:29:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I use MidwayUSA branded Peltof muffs. Big bastards, and they aren't electronic, but they are the best muffs I have ever worn.

I have some Howard Leight Impact Sports electronics that absolutely suck. They won't seal over my hat and glasses.

I'll grab my computer and find a link.

ETA: These. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/524517/midwayusa-ultimate-10-earmuffs-by-peltor-nrr-30db-black?cm_vc=ProductFinding

NRR 30db and they cost $20.
View Quote

I broke my old set of muffs at work last week, and needed another set.  I bought these same muffs, 3m branded, from Lowes locally for $25.  Fit is great, a lot better than the old ones.  Should've replace the old ones years ago.  I work in a shop that does a lot of metal fab and truck repair, every kind of noise imaginable, so I need them daily.  I use the Peltor Shotgunner muffs with foam plugs for shooting, a lot lower profile when trying to get a good cheek weld.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 3:05:13 PM EDT
[#16]
EAR foam lugs .
Muffs over those for long duration shooting.

Buy the box of a couple hundred pairs from Grainger.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 4:22:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Delete
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 12:03:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 10:51:21 AM EDT
[#19]
For me plugs don't have anywhere near the sound proofing that good muffs do. My ears will ring for days just using plugs alone shooting ar's or pistols.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 11:50:43 AM EDT
[#20]
I ordered the Peltor Tactical sport muffs this morning. I also got the gel ring upgrade, have raed a lot of People say with the gel rings that they seal better, and seal better around Your safety glasses. That was always something that bothered Me about the HL  Impact Pro's.

I'll post back once they arrive.

Thanks, Dave
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 3:25:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
For me plugs don't have anywhere near the sound proofing that good muffs do. My ears will ring for days just using plugs alone shooting ar's or pistols.
View Quote

EAR type expanding foam plugs have had some of the highest NRR ratings over the years.

The whole NRR system breaks down for impulse noise (like gunshots) though.
The audio equipment rarely has enough bandwidth to deal with the very rapid rise time of impact type noise.

It is often bandwidth limited based on the typical dynamic range of the human ear.
The missed components contain a lot of damaging energy, even if hearing does not respond to them.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 4:04:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I use the pelter tactical sports, they work great, no issue even against  braked 300 Rum ....

View Quote

Their NRR of 20 is woefully inadequate for their size compared to many others out there though just like the MSA Sordin's.  As usual expensive doesn't always equal the best.

The best plan is to use plugs and muffs for the most protection possible as plugs don't protect against the lower frequencies like muffs do.  Using plugs along with my Howard Leight L0F's made my 16" including the perm'd brake .308 very tolerable while just the L0F's weren't adequate.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 4:06:51 PM EDT
[#23]
my favorites:

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 9:08:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Their NRR of 20 is woefully inadequate for their size compared to many others out there though just like the MSA Sordin's.  As usual expensive doesn't always equal the best.

The best plan is to use plugs and muffs for the most protection possible as plugs don't protect against the lower frequencies like muffs do.  Using plugs along with my Howard Leight L0F's made my 16" including the perm'd brake .308 very tolerable while just the L0F's weren't adequate.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've been very satisfied with mine, I feel they work better then my work earmuffs and have had no issue wearing them around several braked 300 rums shooting hot loads...maybe I just got lucky.....
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:27:27 AM EDT
[#25]
I use the ImpactSports over Macs Pillow Soft  silicone.

I have to use the ImpactSports because they are so thin otherwise the stock pushes thicker one off my ear.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 1:00:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I've been very satisfied with mine, I feel they work better then my work earmuffs and have had no issue wearing them around several braked 300 rums shooting hot loads...maybe I just got lucky.....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

EAR plugs are routinely over 30 dB.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 2:54:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Surefire EP7's. These are the ones with the foam on the ends, not just he silicon stoppers.
Well enough for handgun use outdoors. Haven't tried them yet with rifle.
Have some Peltor Tac 100's, but they get too damn hot in the summer and they smash the eye pro into my temples.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 4:27:49 PM EDT
[#28]
I bought a couple pairs of 3m Tactical 100 Electronic Hearing Protector (Peltor) from Home Depot within the last year while there was a rebate and my total cost was $90.00 for the 2 sets. It looks like Home Depot currently advertises them for $70.00 each. I really like them, they are comfortable, they have a 22db noise reduction rating with a 2 hour auto shut-off feature, they are compact and use up very little space in my range bag.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 7:52:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I use the ImpactSports over Macs Pillow Soft  silicone.

I have to use the ImpactSports because they are so thin otherwise the stock pushes thicker one off my ear.
View Quote

One of the main reasons I got those. I also hate the full size Muffs, not only does the stock push it off My ear, I hear the buffer vibrate through the stock, through the ear muffs if it is touching the stock.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 2:23:30 PM EDT
[#30]
The only earplugs that I can use, comfortably, all day are the Howard Leight foam ones (corded).  I use them at work and for shooting pistol.

I also have required annual hearing checks and had no significant hearing loss in the ten years I've been monitored.  I've been shooting pistols regularly for four years now and like I said, no measurable hearing loss so far. Prior to the last four years I did occasionally shoot rifles and shotguns, so figure that in.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 7:54:37 PM EDT
[#31]
I have a set of insta-mold custom ear plugs that I like and the price was even better, my employer paid for them.  The Surefire EP7's are the only thing that is close in noise reduction.  I have been using them at work for 3 months now and they are a lot better than the Howard Leight Max foam disposables that we used before
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 11:10:45 PM EDT
[#32]
I got the Tactical Sport muffs Today, installed the gel rings, and found that they will adjust to My big head perfectly.

I will try them out tomorrow, taking some ear plugs to try out as well.

See what the difference is between the two, and together.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 12:12:33 AM EDT
[#33]
I wear foam plugs. I shoot mainly scoped rifles and hate the cheek weld with muffs. Plugs are also cheap as hell and offer more protection. If I am in the sticks shooting at night I have a set of Howard liegh electronic muffs for situational awareness
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 12:13:13 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

HL Impact Pro seem pretty good, reasonable price.

Howard Lieght Impact Pro

I was thinking of these, buit the HL have a higher NRR.

Peltor

Thing I like about the Peltor is the gel rings.
View Quote
Damn those HL are freaking HUGE. I hope you only shoot pistols.

Link Posted: 7/9/2015 1:00:14 AM EDT
[#35]
These are my favorites:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/665374/peltor-tactical-pro-electronic-earmuffs-nrr-26db-black?cm_mmc=pf_ci_google-_-pf_ci_google-_-pf_ci_google-_-pf_ci_google&gclid=CNim6rehzcYCFQIEaQod6VoEVw
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 4:21:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
These are my favorites:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/665374/peltor-tactical-pro-electronic-earmuffs-nrr-26db-black?cm_mmc=pf_ci_google-_-pf_ci_google-_-pf_ci_google-_-pf_ci_google&gclid=CNim6rehzcYCFQIEaQod6VoEVw
View Quote

NRR: 26 dB

Sort of in the medium range.
You may find indoor shooting against a wall (first or last lane) to be a problem with larger handgun calibers.
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 11:38:17 AM EDT
[#37]
I wear foam plugs under my electronic muffs with the volume turned up enough to communicate easily.
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 2:22:28 AM EDT
[#38]
I tried out the Tactical Sport muffs Today, with the gel rings installed. Worked awesome, fit My head, offered excellent sound protection, even with My braked 5.56.

The gel rings are very comfortable, seal around the glass ear piece very well also.

I highly recommend them.
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 1:16:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Custom fitted plugs are the way to go. Buy once,cry once (as long as you can hold on to them ).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top