Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/2/2015 10:55:45 PM EDT
Just getting into reloading and wanted to clean some deprimed brass. Used a Sonicor cleaner with the following mix:

32 oz hot water
8 oz vinegar
sm squirt of dawn

Ran for 18 min.  Of the 100 pieces about 85 came out clean but 15 turned pink color.

Did a rinse after the wash.

Where did I error and are the brass still usable now.

Thanks for any suggestions.

JBL
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 11:03:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Dawn can do it. I don't know the chemical reaction. I just know if you boil water and add brass and dawn, it does it. If you just add lemishine to boiling water, it won't. Water alone won't do it.

I used boiling water in my experiment because I wanted a faster reaction.

I haven't tried vinegar and boiling water.

I had the same thing happen when I used ultrasonic. I stopped cleaning with it.

EDIT: If you tumble it, pink will come off. It's not deep. I don't know if it's a bad thing or not though.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 12:01:35 AM EDT
[#2]
The pink color happens when the zinc is leached out of the surface of the brass, leaving only the copper.

Usually happens when the brass tarnishes and is exposed to an acid.

It has little effect on the integrity of the brass, and tumbling will remove it.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:56:25 AM EDT
[#3]
       <removed> wrong forum for this nonsense. dryflash3
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 9:46:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Happened to me when I used vinegar to clean some really dirty brass. It tumbled off just fine.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 9:56:23 AM EDT
[#5]
I do not think Dawn dish soap is the culprit. I have been using Dawn since I started wet tumbling and my brass comes out just right.

Vince
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 10:06:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I do not think Dawn dish soap is the culprit. I have been using Dawn since I started wet tumbling and my brass comes out just right.

Vince
View Quote

With heat it can. Try it.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 3:49:06 PM EDT
[#7]
dezincification.

If limited to the surface it will likely not have any major effect on strength.

If it comes off easily in polishing it is not going to be deep enough to matter.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 5:16:59 PM EDT
[#8]
I picked up a batch of old 9mm wcc brass that must have been sitting in mud/muck for along time. Alot of the brass was rough and had dimples on it.

After tumbling all the dimples ect turned pink. I decided against using the brass and its sitting in a bag.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:44:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Vince

Why would you heat it. It cleans just fine as it is with tap water.

Vince
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 10:30:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Try using Lemi-shine instead of vinegar. If it still turns pink just reduce the amount of Lemi-shine until doesn't do it anymore. I use a 9mm case full in 1 gallon of water when I we tumble. I wouldn't think it's ruined from the vinegar.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 11:03:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 11:48:33 PM EDT
[#12]

Was there any steel cases in the mix?
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 12:32:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Tumble or vibrate in walnut polishing media to remove.

Vibratory cleaning wins again.  
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 11:24:57 PM EDT
[#15]
There was no steel cases in the batch.

My Sonicor takes abt 96 oz of liquid so  I should just use water with a 45acp casing of lemishine and a shot of dawn?

Thanks for any responses.

JBL
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 12:03:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 2:08:47 AM EDT
[#17]
It seems I read somewhere that using hot water accelerates the de-zincing process and should not be used.  Has anyone else come across this?  In any case, I stopped using hot water in my wet tumbling.

I also got some dis-coloring in my brass after trying to dry it at too high a temperature in an oven.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 7:44:29 PM EDT
[#18]
My tap water at work is over 140*F.  From the hot water faucet.  Yeah, it's hot.  Took the 140*+ reading with a meat thermometer.
I have seen duller brass using the hot water.  For me, the cold water gave me a brighter bling.  
Dawn, Lemi Shine, pins and water amount being the same.
But using either gets my brass clean.  Just shinier using cold tap water.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 8:15:28 PM EDT
[#19]
I think vinegar is doing it.  Something to do with reaction with zinc in brass.  I wasn't very good in chemistry so check with a lab-geek.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 9:11:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I think vinegar is doing it.  Something to do with reaction with zinc in brass.  I wasn't very good in chemistry so check with a lab-geek.
View Quote

You are correct.  Acetic acid will make brass look nice and shiny.  For a little while.  Then they turn pink.  It's the way the acid interacts with the copper and zinc in the brass.  People have done all sorts of things to neutralize the acetic acid after cleaning the brass, but they only slow down the pink.

CITRIC acid "passivates" brass, leaving a layer of modified brass on the outside.  This is very resistant to tarnishing, allowing the brass to stay clean and shiny.  LemiShine has citric acid as its primary active ingredient, with other ingredients that buffer both the acid and any other potential chemical contents of the water in your dishwasher.  I haven't bothered to do any testing with citric acid for canning, but I'll bet it's just simpler to use LemiShine if you can get it.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 10:57:23 AM EDT
[#21]
had a bunch of S&B 9mm red primer sealant cases in a batch once that stained my brass when wet tumbling once.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top