Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 11:38:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I spent some time the past two days working and tweaking the LnL. I finally was able to run 200 rounds and only had to assist the case feeding two or three times.

I too found that I needed to slow my action and pay attention to being smooth. Also when the ram was up if I wait a tiny bit before moving back down the case that drops feeds better.

So for now I am happy with my Hornady. If I decide to add another progressive press I will possibly go Dillon and run the side by side to compare.

Thanks for sharing your experiences.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 7:04:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I left the LNL for the 650. I got taken in by the  easy changeover with the LNL bushings and cheaper price, but it required constant tinkering. Im not saying the Dillon is perfect, but requires much less tinkering to run right
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 7:53:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I wish more people having 'issues' with their presses (of whatever color/flavor) would start a thread and post before getting rid of them, like the OP did.

I don't doubt all of the brands have shipped some presses needing some 'extra' QC, Hornady certainly included..
I'd gladly take a Dillon style case feeder on my LnL AP (they actually use the same feeder plates, buy the Hornady's to save a few $ on feed plates....but Dillon's caliber specific bits > Hornady's 'generic and adjust' setup, without tweaks..), but most of the adjusting/tweaking on my LnL AP has been one time 'do it right, then forget about it' vs anything else.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 8:53:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By rtpguy:
I wish more people having 'issues' with their presses (of whatever color/flavor) would start a thread and post before getting rid of them, like the OP did.

I don't doubt all of the brands have shipped some presses needing some 'extra' QC, Hornady certainly included..
I'd gladly take a Dillon style case feeder on my LnL AP (they actually use the same feeder plates, buy the Hornady's to save a few $ on feed plates....but Dillon's caliber specific bits > Hornady's 'generic and adjust' setup, without tweaks..), but most of the adjusting/tweaking on my LnL AP has been one time 'do it right, then forget about it' vs anything else.
View Quote

Well I picked the LnL for a few reasons. Money was not really a factor. When equipping both with case feeders there is almost no cost difference.

I figured I would ask everyone here for help and spend time scouring the web and Youtube before throwing in the towel. When I got into reloading the guy I spoke to about it said to get a single stage or turret press and develop your loads. Once you are comfortable that you have a good load and are used to the reloading process then move to a progressive. He warned that a progressive requires patience to get up and running. Boy was he right.

From the forums over at Brian Enos I can say that despite the Dillon fanboys claim that Dillon "just works" there are plenty of questions about the 650.

Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:01:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By edgephoto:

Well I picked the LnL for a few reasons. Money was not really a factor. When equipping both with case feeders there is almost no cost difference.

I figured I would ask everyone here for help and spend time scouring the web and Youtube before throwing in the towel. When I got into reloading the guy I spoke to about it said to get a single stage or turret press and develop your loads. Once you are comfortable that you have a good load and are used to the reloading process then move to a progressive. He warned that a progressive requires patience to get up and running. Boy was he right.

From the forums over at Brian Enos I can say that despite the Dillon fanboys claim that Dillon "just works" there are plenty of questions about the 650.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I had some problems about a week or 10 days ago, but only because I had not reloaded any rifle for 2 or 3 years.  It has probably been more than a year since I reloaded any pistol.

I got a few things ironed out and it ran like a sewing machine after that.

The thing with going on the BE forums to do any sampling is that it is a lot like watching the TV news.  Obviously, an airliner crash is going to be big news and it stays salient in your mind.  But you don't ever hear some news caster say "I million air miles were flown today all accident free."

Same goes for all the guys who have successfully loaded gazillions of rounds on their 650's.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 11:00:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By WeimaranerDad:

I had some problems about a week or 10 days ago, but only because I had not reloaded any rifle for 2 or 3 years.  It has probably been more than a year since I reloaded any pistol.

The thing with going on the BE forums to do any sampling is that it is a lot like watching the TV news.  Obviously, an airliner crash is going to be big news and it stays salient in your mind.  But you don't ever hear some news caster say "I million air miles were flown today all accident free."

Same goes for all the guys who have successfully loaded gazillions of rounds on their 650's.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By WeimaranerDad:

I am sure there have been plenty of guys who have loaded gazillions of rounds on their LnLs.

When I was buying this press they were hard to find in stock anywhere. Dillon too. Now they are both in stock. So I am sure they both sell plenty.
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 9:33:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ronnie_B] [#7]
Originally Posted By jlficken:

That is an accurate statement unless they are trying to load as accurate of rifle rounds as possible.  While the XL650 is a good press precision rifle rounds was never what it was designed for.  If that is your goal then you would be better off with a LNL AP, RL550B, S1050, or Pro 2000.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By jlficken:
Originally Posted By Derek45:
Nobody ever buys the DILLON650 and says " man, I wish i would have got the LNL instead "

Just get the 650 and be happy

That is an accurate statement unless they are trying to load as accurate of rifle rounds as possible.  While the XL650 is a good press precision rifle rounds was never what it was designed for.  If that is your goal then you would be better off with a LNL AP, RL550B, S1050, or Pro 2000.

Not to derail this thread, but please be specific as to why the Dillon 650 does not work for precision rifle ammo. If it is the floating toolhead, that can be easily remedied. The 650 and 1050 use the same powder measure. I would like to see some numbers (runout, OAL variation, etc.) which would validate this claim. I owned 650's since the mid 90's which have been sold, now own 3 1050's so I am familiar with the construction of both machnes, as well as 550's.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top