BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 12:22:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GWhis:
No chuckles from me on that feature.....they know a hell of a lot more about press design than I do.  Lets wait and see what they say.

I shoulda kept to RCBS terms.  Dillon tool heads are RCBS die plates.  Sorry I started a confusion.  Tool head just rolls off the lazy tongue easier.  You are talking about the sub plate under the shell plate, right?  I was talking about shell plates with set screws using up my "valuable" time compared to the old drop pins, Sorry.

We ought to start an RCBS save your tongue movement!  DP and SP..........die plate and shell plate.......dip or sip?.....brother, I need to take a nap....I'm in a fight with the flu this week.  Stayed home from church today with a temp and a sinus headache complication.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
No chuckles from me on that feature.....they know a hell of a lot more about press design than I do.  Lets wait and see what they say.

Originally Posted By bm3:
Mighty fine picture of the bright sunny day, your benches, your other presses........not quite as good of the primer depth adjustment screw!  So the new press does adjust primer seating depth after all! That's a bit of additional sunshine!

The set screws to tighten the tool head would make it nice and square with the shell plate.....maybe....if they did a good job with those centering holes.  The catch.....you gotta loosen set screws to remove a tool head....sigh.  I think I would make long set screws with nurled tops for finger twisting.....and will if I every buy one of the Pros.

The tool head comes off way easer than the pro2000, I know because I just had it off looking at the machine burrs where the primer slide rides.  

I filed 3 burrs off and have successfully primed 100 pieces of 223.  I hope that was it.

I shoulda kept to RCBS terms.  Dillon tool heads are RCBS die plates.  Sorry I started a confusion.  Tool head just rolls off the lazy tongue easier.  You are talking about the sub plate under the shell plate, right?  I was talking about shell plates with set screws using up my "valuable" time compared to the old drop pins, Sorry.

We ought to start an RCBS save your tongue movement!  DP and SP..........die plate and shell plate.......dip or sip?.....brother, I need to take a nap....I'm in a fight with the flu this week.  Stayed home from church today with a temp and a sinus headache complication.

Lol ok I get it.  It takes a little longer than pulling 2pins but it's IMO better.  The DP doesn't move at all while in use.
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 9:52:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 10:16:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By dryflash3:
Good to hear you have worked through your problem.

It's easy to remove a burr.

But finding the right burr to remove can be a challenge.
View Quote

3 primer slides a spring and a little loss sleep over burrs.  

What a week.
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 10:24:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the info bm3.  How the does operate?  Smooth?  Any weird acceleration issues as the shell plate goes around, or is it consistent from station to station?
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 11:07:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Kaldor:
Thanks for the info bm3.  How the does operate?  Smooth?  Any weird acceleration issues as the shell plate goes around, or is it consistent from station to station?
View Quote

The way it's designed is if you go slow the SP goes slow , if you go fast the SP goes fast.  

The SP can't out run your stroke.  now that it's up and running it's very smooth and I am changing my opinion to would buy.  
It's a very simple and well done design.

Again it's on time every time.  

I still don't like the idea of plastic primer slides but after removing the machining burrs it work and works well.  

I'm excited again , I can't wait to run my bullet feeder with it and I'm Chopin at the bit to get the case feeder.
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 12:01:55 PM EDT
[#6]
I was getting ready to ask if their were any burrs on the primer slide guide that’s screwed to the side of the press frame. The boomerang shaped piece that the broken tab rides on. But, it looks like you have found the problem elsewhere and solved it. Good news that it runs well now, but not so good that RCBS would send a new press out with the burrs that you found. That’s disappointing. I encourage you to let them know what you found and hopefully they will do better QC in that area. I still like everything I’ve seen and read about the new press except the primer tube. I’m stuck on APS strips.
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 4:30:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bm3] [#7]
Before  you can see the small burrs that look like little teeth on the inside .

After

Rcbs did call me today to make sure it was up and running, I told hem what I found.
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 8:13:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Interesting.  Here we have a pic from shot show that shows the tab is broken off on that press as well.

RCBS must know its a problem.

Link Posted: 6/1/2015 8:54:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: faldoc] [#9]
BM3:
Is the RCBS primer ram a solid cylinder?

The new LNL AP primer ram is a solid cylinder design, and works well. When it was a "disk on a strut," debris could get under the ram and caused jams...
Pics from  rgerh913...
Old:

New:
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 9:07:46 PM EDT
[#10]

Link Posted: 6/1/2015 9:38:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks, bm.

Looking good!
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 9:59:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bm3] [#12]

I got just shy of a 100 rounds loades of 223 and the primer slide broke again

Before that it ran amazing , primer seating has never been so easy combined with the mr bullet feeder and M die it was a pleasure to run .

I've ran my friends 650 and I'll just go ahead and say the pro chucker is a better press . Did I say how smooth an onetime it was

RCBS really has something here that I think a lot of people would buy provided they get a better primer slide.  

Anyway with the 2 calibers for the press and mr bullet feeder I'm close to base 1050 money.  

Now I gotta call RCBS for more slides again.
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 11:01:52 PM EDT
[#13]
I've ran my friends 650 and I'll just go ahead and say the pro chucker is a better press
View Quote

UM which one of you is still making ammo
Meh I didn't care for the 650 either
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 11:14:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By angus6:

View All Quotes
I've ran my friends 650 and I'll just go ahead and say the pro chucker is a better press

Yeah I know.  

I have enough ammo I can wait till a fix comes along.
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 8:24:21 PM EDT
[#15]
My pro chucker arrived on Tuesday but I just got around to setting it up today.

The press comes with 4 primer slides. 2 large and 2 small. I only use the small and broke both of them in under 10 minutes. Looks like I am calling RCBS on Monday for replacement.

OP - any advise on how to de burr? I did not see anything obvious but it did not slide smoothly. Is lub the answer?

Link Posted: 6/6/2015 8:59:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bm3] [#16]
Originally Posted By jfoster99:

The press comes with 4 primer slides. 2 large and 2 small. I only use the small and broke both of them in under 10 minutes. Looks like I am calling RCBS on Monday for replacement.

OP - any advise on how to de burr? I did not see anything obvious but it did not slide smoothly. Is lub the answer?

View Quote

I am using a little lube to help.  I did get through 500 rounds of .45 today and broke my last LPS .

I have  already destroyed the replacements they sent me.  

Other than the primer slides how do you like the press?
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 9:02:56 PM EDT
[#17]

View Quote

That sucks.  I was hoping that BM3's issues were caused by an issue with his press alone.
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 9:11:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By jlficken:

That sucks.  I was hoping that BM3's issues were caused by an issue with his press alone.
View All Quotes

Lol or my lack of skills.
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 9:30:55 PM EDT
[#19]
there's a couple guys over on the Star forum that I bet would knock a slide out in brass at a decent price and pretty qick from my deals there in the past
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 9:49:38 PM EDT
[#20]
there's a couple guys over on the Star forum that I bet would knock a slide out in brass at a decent price and pretty qick from my deals there in the past
View Quote

Do you have a link ?
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 5:42:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Star forum ,IIRC check with FC60, rbwillnj  and Barrel Tester. sent a pm with a email address of another guy
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 10:17:42 AM EDT
[#22]
I broke the two small primer slides during setup.

The first I was when using my finger to slide it in and out before the mechanism is even working.
The second I got the press setup and noticed it sticking . I was running it in and out rather fast to try and wear it in when it snapped

On the last page of the manual there are primer slide tuning instructions. I never got to try them.

I have not been able to make ammo yet but it runs very smooth.  You can rotate the stations slow or fast depending on powder level in case or if using the bullet loader.

How many replacement did they send you.?

I would buy a brass replacement as long as it did not then cause something else to break instead....
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 10:26:59 AM EDT
[#23]
I broke the two small primer slides during setup.

The first I was when using my finger to slide it in and out before the mechanism is even working.
The second I got the press setup and noticed it sticking . I was running it in and out rather fast to try and wear it in when it snapped

On the last page of the manual there are primer slide tuning instructions. I never got to try them.

I have not been able to make ammo yet but it runs very smooth.  You can rotate the stations slow or fast depending on powder level in case or if using the bullet loader.

How many replacement did they send you.?

I would buy a brass replacement as long as it did not then cause something else to break instead....
View Quote

RCBS sent me 1 of each. I've called them several times and can't seem to get past the girls that take orders.

I've tried to talk the tech about the primer system but just can't get them.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 1:15:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Interesting... I called them twice last week and got the tech Rcbs tec both times right away.

Great guy... I purchased a chargmaster 1500 scale and powder dispenser on eBay for $200. It was missing the calibration weights, the weighing platter, shield door, powder tube cylinder and cap.  He is sending them all free of charge... Awesome company...

They go for $350 used and $400 new on eBay.

We need a solutions for this slide.  I'll go half with you if you can source a brass/aluminum version.  The first unit cost the most typically right? After that it should only be $10-12 each additional... I'll split the cost of the prototype...
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 1:21:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Interesting... I called them twice last week and got the tech Rcbs tec both times right away.

Great guy... I purchased a chargmaster 1500 scale and powder dispenser on eBay for $200. It was missing the calibration weights, the weighing platter, shield door, powder tube cylinder and cap.  He is sending them all free of charge... Awesome company...

They go for $350 used and $400 new on eBay.

We need a solutions for this slide.  I'll go half with you if you can source a brass/aluminum version.  The first unit cost the most typically right? After that it should only be $10-12 each additional... I'll split the cost of the prototype...
View Quote

I'm looking for someone now.  I should have something mid week.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 11:53:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Damn, it's like they never tested the plastic prototypes.  I'm surprised that they didn't use MIM instead like the AP primer slide.  I like the mechanism of the Prochucker, but I'm not wild about the die plate.  I'd feel better if it was less skeletonized.  I'll stick with my AP for now.  It runs 25-20 perfectly.
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 11:20:33 AM EDT
[#27]
So as of today Rcbs won't admit they have a problem with the slides nor can I get to tech to talk about the press.

I have emailed Bill , so now I wait.
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 11:43:41 AM EDT
[#28]
Sounds  like it's  time to put a heads up review  on a bunch  of different  forums maybe a couple YouTube  reviews, one about each issue.
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 12:12:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Firestarter123] [#29]
Sounds  like it's  time to put a heads up review  on a bunch  of different  forums maybe a couple YouTube  reviews, one about each issue.
View Quote

I concur.  He has tried his best to be understanding but sometimes you just have to be the squeaky wheel.  I really cannot fathom how they thought a plastic pin on the primer slide was  a good idea as that pin is going to take a beating over time.

ETA: Even on the S1050 you have to worry about the rubber bushing on the primer slide being cut/damaged over time and that rubber isn't exactly flimsy.
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 3:53:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GWhis] [#30]
So as of today Rcbs won't admit they have a problem with the slides nor can I get to tech to talk about the press.

View Quote

Bm3, I got your p.m. that had your cell phone #.  I don't have any answers, and my questions are the same as yours.

However, though I promised not to spread his name and address on the web, I did send one of RCBS's R&D engineers an email with a link to this thread, described the problem we are seeing, and also gave him your cell phone #.  So if you get a call from RCBS engineering, you know why..........hope he responds.  He's a really nice guy, but he has bosses & company rules......and who knows what company policy on this is at the moment......as you said, you'll have to wait and see.  We all want this to be resolved.....the presses have awesome potential!  One bit of advice, RCBS responds to sugar, not so much to vinegar.  They also respond to many Emails to customer support.  We can all help with that.

If this breakage is caused by improper user technique, which is plausible, then they owe us instructions to prevent it.  I remember when APS first came out and people were mangling strips and breaking plastic stops in the mechanism.  The fix was simple education.  It may not be that simple in this case, but either way, communication and education is the starting point.  Best wishes for a quick resolution of the problem.
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 4:06:26 PM EDT
[#31]
I know from my recent deals with them over buying die parts and seeing bm3 issue getting blown off I'm pretty much done with RCBS, shoot IIRC Scott Parker wont deal with the newer 10-10 scales any more
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 4:34:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GWhis] [#32]
I know from my recent deals with them over buying die parts and seeing bm3 issue getting blown off I'm pretty much done with RCBS, shoot IIRC Scott Parker wont deal with the newer 10-10 scales any more
View Quote
 Except that that is an Ohaus sellout not an RCBS sellout.  All Ohaus scales below science lab models are now made in China.  That includes Dillon and others using Ohaus as well.  Sigh, the times we live in.  As for your die parts deal, that's another animal.  They are firm in preventing what they see as supplying parts to  someone who didn't buy the tool it goes to.........the same rule applies for their bullet feeder parts...I know!  Can't blame them really.  But that's a different subject.
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 5:38:08 PM EDT
[#33]

Bm3, I got your p.m. that had your cell phone #.  I don't have any answers, and my questions are the same as yours.

However, though I promised not to spread his name and address on the web, I did send one of RCBS's R&D engineers an email with a link to this thread, described the problem we are seeing, and also gave him your cell phone #.  So if you get a call from RCBS engineering, you know why..........hope he responds.  He's a really nice guy, but he has bosses & company rules......and who knows what company policy on this is at the moment......as you said, you'll have to wait and see.  We all want this to be resolved.....the presses have awesome potential!  One bit of advice, RCBS responds to sugar, not so much to vinegar.  They also respond to many Emails to customer support.  We can all help with that.

If this breakage is caused by improper user technique, which is plausible, then they owe us instructions to prevent it.  I remember when APS first came out and people were mangling strips and breaking plastic stops in the mechanism.  The fix was simple education.  It may not be that simple in this case, but either way, communication and education is the starting point.  Best wishes for a quick resolution of the problem.
View All Quotes

I hope he does contact me and I can share what I have found .

I know the girls up front are just doing their job and I am nice to them .

The press does have awesome potential but I also know RCBS moves at a snails pace .

It just so happened I had a job today at a place that does machine work for the oil industry .

I traded out $1000 of paintless dent repair for them to mill me some slides out of a few different metals .

I'm dropping the press off on Wednesday.  I hope its a easy fix .

I know im not the only one having this problem, I was informed that RCBS is out of slides and has had to order more.

Now I don't know if its because of production or warranty issues .
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 9:09:24 PM EDT
[#34]
So after my wild spending spree I'm nailing down my cost per conversion.  

It's gonna be at $400 to $450 depending on caliber.  This does not include dies.

Cost includes mr bullet feeder conversions.
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 2:21:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: morpheus6d9] [#35]

Unboxing the RCBS Pro Chucker 5 Reloading Press

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_2XPnNSRRE

Link Posted: 6/12/2015 11:58:26 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By morpheus6d9:

Unboxing the RCBS Pro Chucker 5 Reloading Press

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_2XPnNSRRE      
View Quote

Should be an interesting set of videos.  Gavin is very detail oriented in his reviews.
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 2:59:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GWhis] [#37]
Yes, but what's the caliber conversion cost minus the Mr. Bullet Feeders....$450 is pretty steep for most folks...you don't want to give the wrong impression here.

bm3, I take it you haven't yet got a call from RCBS yet.  The engineer I emailed, emailed me back finally yesterday.  I think it may be helpful to pass on what he said.  

That they have broken a few, but that slide is the sacrificial part you want to fail, if something gets hung up,to prevent much worse things to happen.  They recognize that if you make a mistake you can break one, but that it should be a wake up call not to do that "mistake" again.

I will reply to him today, and ask what "mistake" he's referring to.....evidently, the "ah--ha" isn't as obvious as he thinks it should be. With the evidence so far presented by bm3, first, it being a plastic part, and second, that two of each size is supplied with the press,  I was pretty sure that it was, indeed, a "sacrificial part" to keep worse things from happening.

That indicates to me, that maybe you ought to be really careful using machined metal replacement parts there.  You don't want to damage your press or destroy a primer.  Of course destroying a primer isn't expensive......unless it causes a detonation of 100 primers in the tube, Dillon 650 style.[img]http://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/icon_smile_wink.gif" />
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 5:34:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Yes, but what's the caliber conversion cost minus the Mr. Bullet Feeders....$450 is pretty steep for most folks...you don't want to give the wrong impression here.

bm3, I take it you haven't yet got a call from RCBS yet.  The engineer I emailed, emailed me back finally yesterday.  I think it may be helpful to pass on what he said.  

That they have broken a few, but that slide is the sacrificial part you want to fail, if something gets hung up,to prevent much worse things to happen.  They recognize that if you make a mistake you can break one, but that it should be a wake up call not to do that "mistake" again.

I will reply to him today, and ask what "mistake" he's referring to.....evidently, the "ah--ha" isn't as obvious as he thinks it should be. With the evidence so far presented by bm3, first, it being a plastic part, and second, that two of each size is supplied with the press,  I was pretty sure that it was, indeed, a "sacrificial part" to keep worse things from happening.

That indicates to me, that maybe you ought to be really careful using machined metal replacement parts there.  You don't want to damage your press or destroy a primer.  Of course destroying a primer isn't expensive......unless it causes a detonation of 100 primers in the tube, Dillon 650 style.[url]http://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/icon_smile_wink.gif" />
View Quote

I see you edited your post from earlier today,   I'm going to respond after I cool off a bit.
my post wont be directed to you but at RCBS.
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 6:12:53 PM EDT
[#39]
The Hornady LNL earlier had a system where a jammed primer slide resulted in the slide roller would break the metal slide into pieces, the cam would bend the hell up, and it would cost more than $20 for repairs.

The new LNL AP primer system has a breakaway cam (really just a thick bent wire) which pops out of one holder to prevent all the badness from happening, and it works. No more broken slides, no more bent up cams. It's not a real breakage, though: the cam can be put right back into it's holder when the jam is cleared.

Other weaknesses have been addressed over the years, but it took more than 10 years to get it all fixed.

I'm a bit tired of my LNL, just when I think it's running smoothly, it's one problem after another. How this Pro Chucker does with time (and the RCBS responses) will determine what replacement is in my future.
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 6:19:49 PM EDT
[#40]
The engineer I emailed, emailed me back finally yesterday.  I think it may be helpful to pass on what he said.  

That indicates to me, that maybe you ought to be really careful using machined metal replacement parts there.  You don't want to damage your press or destroy a primer.  Of course destroying a primer isn't expensive......unless it causes a detonation of 100 primers in the tube, Dillon 650 style.[url]http://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/icon_smile_wink.gif" />
View Quote

Sure sounds like that engineer is looking to move 'up' into mgmt, as that sure sounds like a side-stepping of the problem.
With BM3 being the only one to experience the 'issue,' I might buy it, but someone else jumped into the thread with the same problem right out of the box, so 0/2 - it's sure leaning towards they need to build the system for users, not other engineers, and in this case - resolve the issue after acknowledging one fact does (seem to, 2 isn't many users..yet) indeed exist.
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 11:44:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GWhis] [#41]
I edited because I read the fine print below his message......it seems that RCBS copyrights their Emails, so quoting him directly was verboten.    So I rewrote and tried to say the same thing in my own words.  Sorry.

I don't think the engineer is sidestepping anything.  He's always been honest, and in fact very generous in a typical RCBS way in previous experiences.  This is a brand new product you guys.  A little patience, please.  Give them a chance to make things right.  Dillon presses had teething problems when they came out.  The Hornady AP is still having some of those.  Early adopters can't expect to have perfection in the first incarnation.  They can expect them to make it right......betcha they do.

bm3, you could be expected to get testy over the "mistake" idea, especially if you didn't make a "mistake", but that's why communication needs to remain cool and calm, so they can find out what's causing the problem they didn't experience in their own testing.

BTW, there is a review on Cabelas for a 7 stations press......so far nothing broke on his......yet.  Again, still pretty new.
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 10:54:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bm3] [#42]
Self edit.  

No need for me to bash RCBS.  Press runs great.
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 2:33:16 PM EDT
[#43]
I don't really get the point of the overly enthusiastic apologism here. RCBS makes good stuff for the most part and I have a lot of their products, but I would be livid if I dropped the money on one of these new presses and got this level of service. Especially given how well they've treated me in the past. Past excellence doesn't make present mediocrity ok... especially at that price!

The priming system is the achilles heel of pretty much every progressive. Being so afraid of blowing a primer that you make a press that breaks constantly instead isn't a great answer, and if the press is so complicated to set up and use that it's that easy to break a slide... that sort of indicates a problem.

Hopefully they get it worked out soon.
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 4:41:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Firestarter123] [#44]
Originally Posted By Redarts:
I don't really get the point of the overly enthusiastic apologism here. RCBS makes good stuff for the most part and I have a lot of their products, but I would be livid if I dropped the money on one of these new presses and got this level of service. Especially given how well they've treated me in the past. Past excellence doesn't make present mediocrity ok... especially at that price!

The priming system is the achilles heel of pretty much every progressive. Being so afraid of blowing a primer that you make a press that breaks constantly instead isn't a great answer, and if the press is so complicated to set up and use that it's that easy to break a slide... that sort of indicates a problem.

View Quote

I don't get it either but I have no brand loyalty at all.  Dillon does stupid things as well and I call it like I see it from my POV.  I use what works for me and dump it if it doesn't.  I just so happens that Dillon progressives seem to work for me but I like my Lee Classic Cast SS press as well.  I want a Redding T-7 someday too

I want to see one of these presses but I can't figure out what they could do differently that would cause them to use a plastic primer slide over at least aluminum like other presses do (the S1050 is steel).

Link Posted: 6/13/2015 5:09:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Echd] [#45]

I don't get it either but I have no brand loyalty at all.  Dillon does stupid things as well and I call it like I see it from my POV.  I use what works for me and dump it if it doesn't.  I just so happens that Dillon progressives seem to work for me but I like my Lee Classic Cast SS press as well.  I want a Redding T-7 someday too

I want to see one of these presses but I can't figure out what they could do differently that would cause them to use a plastic primer slide over at least aluminum like other presses do (the S1050 is steel).

View All Quotes

I'm with you as well. My bench has dillon, rcbs, and lee presses on it. If it's a good product at a fair price I buy it.

Every product should stand on its own merits. Such a large and obvious flaw like this is a bit scary.
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 7:50:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bm3] [#46]
Ok so my RCBS package came today with 10 small primer slides , 10 large primer slides and 2 springs.  

So what I recommend is  during the 1st set up is  don't   even assemble the priming system untill you have your dies and bullet feeder tuned .
Use hand primed brass to  tune.

After your dies are tuned now set up the primer bar and I refer to the manual as per RCBS .

I found a few things that will break the primer bar .

1 burrs on the slide ares , make sure it's deburred and slightly lubed so it will operate smoothly.  

2 if when your priming and it feels like its gonna hang up STOP and remove the case from the plate and inspect and repair whatever it is.
If you go ahead and push through your gonna break the slide.

3 keep a eye on the slide while running ammo , if you see it hang up in the back position refer to the manual per RCBS.

4 don't mix primed brass with non primed brass. If you put a piece of primed brass in and go to seat a primer the primer in the
Slide will hang up (you won't even feel it ) and on a down stroke it will break the slide.  

So today I have ran 500 .45 without breakage.  

200 223 without breakage . The goal is to get a brick without breaking a slide.

Link Posted: 6/13/2015 11:17:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 4:44:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GWhis] [#48]

View Quote

Overly enthusiastic apologism?  I wouldn't say I'm that enthusiastic or apologic.  Realistic, and not prone to flaming a new product right out of the gate, is more how I feel.  I'm AM wanting to give RCBS a fair chance.  One or two months is not my idea of a fair chance, let alone 2 weeks.  I also think accusing the RCBS engineer of some personal motive was out of line....no wonder they don't want people quoting their emails.

Hornady is still working out bugs 10 years later on their AP.  Kudos to them...better than ignoring their users.  Dillon presses have been out the longest, and they aren't perfect either.  Ask those who blow up their primer systems.  Also when their presses first came out, they were far from problem-free........it just takes a little time.

I used to write some software, and I have a sister who I used as a guinea pig.  I called it Sally-proofing my software.  If I could get it past her,  that just about guaranteed it would survive about anything.  I think a new press is a little harder than that.  Users are way different.

I do give RCBS credit for trying to make a safer tube-fed primer system.  Maybe it'll work satisfactory, maybe it'll be back to the drawing board.  Personally, I'd rather they had kept their proven, safe and fast APS primer system, but if they're going to go back to tubes, to please the greater market, I'm glad they are trying to make it safer.

The plastic weak link is obviously that attempt.  I do agree with you that it has to not break....except for when we users have a brain fart, an oversight, a lack of concentration, or whatever, that could explode a 100 primers.  In that case, I'm all for the plastic slide breaking first.  Look at the list of parts Dillon "joyfully?" replaces when they get the "I screwed up and blew up the primer system call".

I'm posting this in the middle of the night while I wait for a 42 year-old daughter to get home from Tucson ....so I hope I've worded this without flaming anyone.  It's 3 AM and shes still driving.  Not happy with her right now.
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 9:30:34 AM EDT
[#49]
For how many Dillons are out there and how rarely one blows, you are REALLY stuck on it...
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 2:28:10 PM EDT
[#50]
How many licks did it take to get to the center of the lolipop ?  2 licks.  

I got a brick ran with 2 transfer bars.  

What happened was the transfer bar will hang up in the rear position and then spring back and break the tab .
It happened both times.  As per RCBS I referred to the manual to adjust the transfer bar with no joy.  

It seems to me it's either a bad tool head or a alignment issue.  I will say it ran like a well oiled machine  untill the breakage.  

Until they  find a fix I can see carrying 30 or so of each transfer bars.  

Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top