Site Notices
Posted: 5/26/2015 4:28:28 AM EDT
Where do you prefer to get your lead?

Link Posted: 5/26/2015 6:09:28 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

View Quote

Not to be a smart alec, but before anyone else says it "anywhere I can". If you have access to a good friend in a tire shop or dealership, clip on wheel weights are the best, but you have to sort out the zinc which is more and more prevalent.

Second that would be someone in the medical field who can get you lead isotope containers. Dental x-ray film is also good as a base but is almost pure lead and will need tin and antimony added.

If you like a little hard work, and can do it, mining the berm from you local range is always an option. BUT BE CAREFUL!! ONE LIVE ROUND THAT GETS PAST YOUR INSPECTION PROCESS CAN RUIN YOUR YEAR OR LIFE!

Of course, there is always scrap yards.

Now, those are all options if you want to start raw and smelt it down yourself. If you want to just drop a clean ingot in your pot and get rolling, I'd post in the Wanted to Buy section on EE or head over to castboolits.gunloads.com and check out the vendor section. Expect to pay about $1.15 - 1.25/lb shipped to your door for clean lead you can drop in your pot.

I prefer to recover range scrap because it is free, but I'm not opposed to buying tin or COWW as it is the only way I can get it.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 6:20:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Just ask around.   Once the words gets out to your friends that you're looking for lead, it may come right to you.   That's what I did when I started casting.   I have been givin all sorts of lead from 5 gallon buckets of mostly lead WWs to scuba diving weights, to rolls of pure lead roof flashing and other sorts of lead.

You may even be lucky enough to get it for free.   I have a modest ~1,800 pounds of lead and I haven't paid a dollar for it, even after offering to pay.   Granted most of it came from my father.

Either way, get the word out to others and start looking around.   Also, if you happen to have a boat salvage yard around you, look there.   Many times you can find a mass amount of pure lead in sail boat keels.   It will need to be alloyed with tin and what not, but it's another option. Good luck on your hunt!
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 8:06:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Garage, wheel weights, saying they wlll be used for casting sinkers,  gets you more.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 2:24:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 4:23:06 PM EDT
[#5]
The berms are a good choice if you can access a range that will allow you to do that.  It's a good amount of work scraping out all the jackets...but hey it's free.  I picked up 50lbs of usable lead casually last year just a few pounds here and there.

The other option is buying lead from scrap yards and off Cast Boolits.  I'm going to check out a scrap yard soon that my uncle works at (unfortunately it's an hour away...he confirmed they will sell me lead).  I plan on just buying a couple hundred pounds to make it worth my trip.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 8:39:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Wal Mart parking lot.    

J/K

Most of the time I get lead from the berm at my range or a metal recycling place in town.

They sell all lead as "Lead".  WW, pure, solder drippings, lino, all the same price.  Last time I paid 76 cents a lb.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 9:53:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Not to be a smart alec,  ( No problem with your comment )   but before anyone else says it "anywhere I can". If you have access to a good friend in a tire shop or dealership, clip on wheel weights are the best, but you have to sort out the zinc which is more and more prevalent.( That is my understanding too )

Second that would be someone in the medical field who can get you lead isotope containers. Dental x-ray film is also good as a base but is almost pure lead and will need tin and antimony added.

If you like a little hard work, and can do it, mining the berm from you local range is always an option. BUT BE CAREFUL!! ONE LIVE ROUND THAT GETS PAST YOUR INSPECTION PROCESS CAN RUIN YOUR YEAR OR LIFE!

Now, those are all options if you want to start raw and smelt it down yourself. If you want to just drop a clean ingot in your pot and get rolling, I'd post in the Wanted to Buy section on EE or head over to castboolits.gunloads.com and check out the vendor section. Expect to pay about $1.15 - 1.25/lb shipped to your door for clean lead you can drop in your pot.

I prefer to recover range scrap because it is free, but I'm not opposed to buying tin or COWW as it is the only way I can get it.

Hope this helps.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not to be a smart alec,  ( No problem with your comment )   but before anyone else says it "anywhere I can". If you have access to a good friend in a tire shop or dealership, clip on wheel weights are the best, but you have to sort out the zinc which is more and more prevalent.( That is my understanding too )

Hope this helps.

Link Posted: 5/26/2015 9:54:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Just ask around.   Once the words gets out to your friends that you're looking for lead, it may come right to you.   That's what I did when I started casting.   I have been givin all sorts of lead from 5 gallon buckets of mostly lead WWs to scuba diving weights, to rolls of pure lead roof flashing and other sorts of lead.

You may even be lucky enough to get it for free.   I have a modest ~1,800 pounds of lead and I haven't paid a dollar for it, even after offering to pay.   Granted most of it came from my father.

Either way, get the word out to others and start looking around.   Also, if you happen to have a boat salvage yard around you, look there.   Many times you can find a mass amount of pure lead in sail boat keels.   It will need to be alloyed with tin and what not, but it's another option. Good luck on your hunt!
View Quote

Your comments I never even considered!

Thank you!

Link Posted: 5/26/2015 9:55:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Garage, wheel weights, saying they wlll be used for casting sinkers,  gets you more.
View Quote

Sneaky.

Link Posted: 5/26/2015 9:58:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You kind of missed out on the free wheel weights days.

"If" you can find a source, most will be zinc weights that have to be sorted out.

If I was starting today and couldn't find any free lead, I would go to Cast bullets.com and order it.

<a href="http://s250.photobucket.com/user/dryflash3/media/Casting/P1010903_zps0ehjxxtf.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg272/dryflash3/Casting/P1010903_zps0ehjxxtf.jpg</a>

30 caliber rifle bullets I cast yesterday from Lee molds.

Left, started working with a 150 gr FN mold, still had wrinkled bullets from this mold when I quit.

Middle, 155 gr for 7.62x39 and 300 blk.

Right, 200 gr for 300 blk.
View Quote

I always miss out on the good deals DF.

I appreciate you showing up and commenting!

I am trying to avoid the Zinc stuff. Guess I was a little late to the party.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 10:02:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The berms are a good choice if you can access a range that will allow you to do that.  It's a good amount of work scraping out all the jackets...but hey it's free.  I picked up 50lbs of usable lead casually last year just a few pounds here and there.

The other option is buying lead from scrap yards and off Cast Boolits.  I'm going to check out a scrap yard soon that my uncle works at (unfortunately it's an hour away...he confirmed they will sell me lead).  I plan on just buying a couple hundred pounds to make it worth my trip.
View Quote

I got some good material off of a range years ago like that.

Thanks for commenting!

Link Posted: 5/26/2015 10:05:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Wal Mart parking lot.    

J/K

Most of the time I get lead from the berm at my range or a metal recycling place in town.

They sell all lead as "Lead".  WW, pure, solder drippings, lino, all the same price.  Last time I paid 76 cents a lb.
View Quote

Funny you mention Linotype material.

I had a source years ago before I even remotely considered doing casting.

Not available now. My friend passed away.

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 3:04:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Talk to a mason, they're always re flashing chimneys
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 6:21:43 PM EDT
[#14]
I hit the mom-and-pop tire stores or any small garage with tires piled nearby.  Strike up a conversation.  Explain the hardships of finding a bucket of lead and how you're trying to teach a kid to shoot or whatever.  If they aren't with you then, offer $20.  Ask if there's another place nearby you should check.  This works maybe 50% of the time for me.

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 10:05:35 PM EDT
[#15]
I target mom and pop salvage yards. Most them actually sell their non ferrous to the large scrap yards because they dont have enough quantity.

I pay 65 cents for mine which is the same price the large scrap yard pays them. I started 2 years ago and have 6,000 pounds so far. I lucked out and they get some sort of lead alloy bricks that work perfect. I can cut them half and half with soft lead or use them just like that. Each brick weighs 40 pounds. Ive got about 100 of them and all of them seem to have the same properties.

No wheelweights here.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 10:20:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hmmm.

Now there is an angle I never even considered.

Will have to explore some new connections to see where this goes.

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 10:22:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 10:23:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I hit the mom-and-pop tire stores or any small garage with tires piled nearby.  Strike up a conversation.  Explain the hardships of finding a bucket of lead and how you're trying to teach a kid to shoot or whatever.  If they aren't with you then, offer $20.  Ask if there's another place nearby you should check.  This works maybe 50% of the time for me.  
View Quote

How much of the time do you wind up with a bunch of zinc casted wheel weights?

Can one discern the difference between the two different materials by appearance?

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 10:29:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I target mom and pop salvage yards. Most them actually sell their non ferrous to the large scrap yards because they dont have enough quantity.

I pay 65 cents for mine which is the same price the large scrap yard pays them. I started 2 years ago and have 6,000 pounds so far. I lucked out and they get some sort of lead alloy bricks that work perfect. I can cut them half and half with soft lead or use them just like that. Each brick weighs 40 pounds. Ive got about 100 of them and all of them seem to have the same properties.

No wheelweights here.
View Quote

Had a buddy that sold his practice a few years ago.

Had a wall full of lead sheets that surrounded his X-ray machine.

If I knew then, what I know now, I would have bought all of those rolls of lead that went to the recycler.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 10:29:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Roofers also, lead flashing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmmm.

Now there is an angle I never even considered.

Will have to explore some new connections to see where this goes.

Roofers also, lead flashing.

Thanks DF!
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 10:51:11 PM EDT
[#21]
I use these, isotope lead cores.  31 pounds each.

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 11:31:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 11:32:43 PM EDT
[#23]
With the barcode attached,

someone works somewhere, that keeps count of of everything.

How much did they cost you?

Are you casting for pistol or rifle?

Did you need to add a little other material to harden up the lead?

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 11:43:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Ebay is a pretty constant source of linotype at $2 a lb shipped. If you buy soft metal (iso cores, stick on WWs, range lead) you can harden it pretty effectively with that.

My "do everything" mix is 1:3 Lino to "soft" lead. Some is softer than others, but as long as you're making big batches, you won't have any real trouble. My personal litmus test for "soft" is fingernail scratchable.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 11:43:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
<a href="http://s250.photobucket.com/user/dryflash3/media/Casting/P8020121.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg272/dryflash3/Casting/P8020121.jpg</a>    

A lot will be zinc. How much depends on your AO.

Notice the row of zinc next to the stick ons. You see the strange looking ones? Top, third one down and bottom one.

Those were placed in the lead melt during smelting. (by mistake)

When they don't melt, take them out, they are zinc. Zinc melts at a higher point than lead.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can one discern the difference between the two different materials by appearance?

<a href="http://s250.photobucket.com/user/dryflash3/media/Casting/P8020121.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg272/dryflash3/Casting/P8020121.jpg</a>    

A lot will be zinc. How much depends on your AO.

Notice the row of zinc next to the stick ons. You see the strange looking ones? Top, third one down and bottom one.

Those were placed in the lead melt during smelting. (by mistake)

When they don't melt, take them out, they are zinc. Zinc melts at a higher point than lead.

DF,

You are a WEALTH of info!

Nothing that I have here, resembles the Zinc material that you have shown pictures of. Most of the Zinc stuff that you showed, had two dots in it. Not all. But most.

However, if I do some casting later and experience something not wanting to melt, when everything else does, it will get yanked out of the melting pot and put aside!

Pretty much all of the material that I have here, is old and was gathered before Zinc WW`s came along. Glad of that....but my eyes do scan the road on occasion and do see a lost WW that interests me enough to turn around....go back.....and pick it up.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 11:46:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Ebay is a pretty constant source of linotype at $2 a lb shipped. If you buy soft metal (iso cores, stick on WWs, range lead) you can harden it pretty effectively with that.

My "do everything" mix is 1:3 Lino to "soft" lead. Some is softer than others, but as long as you're making big batches, you won't have any real trouble. My personal litmus test for "soft" is fingernail scratchable.
View Quote

Thanks Redarts!

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 12:20:39 AM EDT
[#27]
Indoor ranges are a great source of lead. In fact, most of them will give it to you or sell it to you for dirt cheap if you clean it out yourself. The best part is you know it's lead and it's usually pretty soft!

My dad's best friend owns a range, so I get access to as much as I want. The problem is it take a lot of work to smelt it down.

A few years ago my dad gave me 7, 5 gallon buckets full of collected bullets. It took me soooo long to melt those down.

You can smelt it down pretty easily with a dutch oven and a turkey frier/burner, but there is usually a lot of oily crap that the range uses in the trap that stinks pretty bad. I would usually rinse the lead with a degreaser first to try to remove as much as possible, then melt it down after that.

If found that you actually can add lead that has some water on it IF the water is allowed to dry off while it's smelting down. So I would typically spoon some into the dutch oven (all the lead is wet at this point), as it melts down i would add some more to the top. The amount of time it takes for that to start melting down the water boils off, then add more, water boils off before it starts to melt, etc... Doing it this way is soooo much faster than having to start from scratch with a fresh pot each time. I hope it makes sense what I'm saying, if not let me know and I'll try to explain it a different way.

It's well worth the effort though

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 12:29:19 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Indoor ranges are a great source of lead. In fact, most of them will give it to you or sell it to you for dirt cheap if you clean it out yourself. The best part is you know it's lead and it's usually pretty soft!

My dad's best friend owns a range, so I get access to as much as I want. The problem is it take a lot of work to smelt it down.

A few years ago my dad gave me 7, 5 gallon buckets full of collected bullets. It took me soooo long to melt those down.

You can smelt it down pretty easily with a dutch oven and a turkey frier/burner, but there is usually a lot of oily crap that the range uses in the trap that stinks pretty bad. I would usually rinse the lead with a degreaser first to try to remove as much as possible, then melt it down after that.

If found that you actually can add lead that has some water on it IF the water is allowed to dry off while it's smelting down. So I would typically spoon some into the dutch oven (all the lead is wet at this point), as it melts down i would add some more to the top. The amount of time it takes for that to start melting down the water boils off, then add more, water boils off before it starts to melt, etc... Doing it this way is soooo much faster than having to start from scratch with a fresh pot each time. I hope it makes sense what I'm saying, if not let me know and I'll try to explain it a different way.

It's well worth the effort though

<a href="http://s1303.photobucket.com/user/drfroglegs/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG1792_zpssxjobkbo.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1303.photobucket.com/albums/ag158/drfroglegs/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG1792_zpssxjobkbo.jpg</a>
View Quote

Good gawsh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would NEVER post a picture like you just did on the internet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DAWG!

That is a very nice" collection"!
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 2:04:43 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

With the barcode attached,
someone works somewhere, that keeps count of of everything.
How much did they cost you?
Are you casting for pistol or rifle?
Did you need to add a little other material to harden up the lead?
View Quote

The cores are used once, then discarded.  

I use the lead as is for pistol, and water quench for rifle.  Plenty hard when quenched.  I add linotype if I want them very hard.
You can find some for sale over at castboolits.  

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 11:55:23 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I would NEVER post a picture like you just did on the internet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DAWG!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
[span style='font-weight: bold;']Quoted:It's well worth the effort though

<a href="http://s1303.photobucket.com/user/drfroglegs/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG1792_zpssxjobkbo.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1303.photobucket.com/albums/ag158/drfroglegs/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG1792_zpssxjobkbo.jpg</a>

DAWG!

It's for lead sinkers remember

I wish I had a picture of the before. Looked like you took a bucket of shot bullets and oil and let it sit for a few years.

Any lead source (given its not alloyed with nasty stuff) is good lead, don't let the looks discourage you!
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 11:08:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Suddenly, "lead sinkers", seem very appealing to me!

Thanks everyone, for all of the suggestions and help!
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 11:35:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 1:59:34 AM EDT
[#33]
DF,
Now you have gone and done it......... you made it look too easy.

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 7:52:40 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I wish I had a picture of the before. Looked like you took a bucket of shot bullets and oil and let it sit for a few years.

Any lead source (given its not alloyed with nasty stuff) is good lead, don't let the looks discourage you!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
[span style='font-weight: bold;']Quoted:It's well worth the effort though

DAWG!

Mine gets a lot of fines from splattering on the armor plate and comes complete with flux (target shreds, wood bits, etc.).

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 11:38:09 AM EDT
[#35]
Most large cities have metal recycling businesses.  Check your online yellowpages.  Most of them sell lead ingots and some sell lead alloys of the kind used by bullet casters.  Failing that, you can check indoor ranges to see if they are willing, however, I'm guessing most have established relationships with these same recycling businesses and aren't interested in small lots to individuals.  Buying lead alloy ingots online is always possible, but the shipping charges add considerably to the cost. - CW
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 2:35:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 9:17:05 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Depends on the state and the laws there.  The Zn ones often have a Zn or Z on them.  I use a large set of dikes and squeeze them all.  The Zn has no give, as do iron ones (Fe label).  At the end of the day, the Zn ones float to the top as long as you don't have the smelt temp way up high.

The purer lead and stick-on wheel weights (SOWW) take quite a bit more heat than the clip-ons (COWW).  Don't worry if there are SOWW don't melt for quite a while after the clip-ons.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 10:04:03 PM EDT
[#38]
For an extra layer of security, you can drop the weights on the ground. Lead thunks, zinc clinks.

That said the zinc won't immediately melt, so it is easy to spot.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 12:17:25 AM EDT
[#39]
Post on Craigslist that you want to buy lead.  I know my situation is unique, but I did this and ended up getting contacted by a woman who's husband had died and had a shit load of casting stuff.  I ended up with a RCBS casting furnace, dies, and buckets of wheel weights for free.  Just ask, some folks still think lead is worthless.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 10:49:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 10:05:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Anyone know how much a 5 gallon bucket of lead wheel weights would be worth?

Tire store nearby has them for $50.

Is that a good deal?

Link Posted: 5/31/2015 10:31:11 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 10:37:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I don't think so.

Especially if about half or more of them are zinc.

$10 to 20 is more reasonable. Now days the zinc weights poison a used to be great source of WW's.
View Quote

I was wondering about that.

If most of them were actually lead, would it be worth it?

If one winds up with a bunch of zinc WW`s, can one get a decent price from a recycling company?

Link Posted: 5/31/2015 10:52:17 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 11:06:28 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

At $50, they would have to all be lead. That's not very likely. And still too much$$.

I'm sure zinc weights can be recycled, the ones I had a guy at work wanted them, so he got them.

If you can't get free lead, go to castbullets.com and buy from there for the best price.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?18-Swappin-amp-Sellin

That's a great site for everything cast bullets.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't think so.

Especially if about half or more of them are zinc.

$10 to 20 is more reasonable. Now days the zinc weights poison a used to be great source of WW's.

I was wondering about that.

If most of them were actually lead, would it be worth it?

If one winds up with a bunch of zinc WW`s, can one get a decent price from a recycling company?

At $50, they would have to all be lead. That's not very likely. And still too much$$.

I'm sure zinc weights can be recycled, the ones I had a guy at work wanted them, so he got them.

If you can't get free lead, go to castbullets.com and buy from there for the best price.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?18-Swappin-amp-Sellin

That's a great site for everything cast bullets.

Thanks DF!

Appreciate your experience and knowledge!
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 11:51:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top