Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/24/2015 7:50:10 PM EDT
All I'm lacking on getting started on reloading .223 is a case trimmer. I just took a beginners reloading class and the teacher recommended the Hornady Cam Lock trimmer but take note that he works for Hornady. So is this a good one? My local supplier has it in stock for $73. Also the only powder I can find is CFE-223. Heard good stuff about it so what do you guys think. Thank you.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 8:47:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I have zero patience, so take this with a grain of salt... but I started with the Hornady trimmer.  It definitely works, seemed to be consistent, and didn't break the bank.  

About a month into loading 223 and I couldn't NOT go motorized, and ended up slapping a Dillon trimmer onto my 650.  Loud, annoying to get dialed in, and expensive (even moreso since it was bought in addition to the Hornady which I keep as a backup) but once it's dialed in it can run buckets of brass in the blink of an eye.  Follow it up with a neck die to knock down any burrs and it's done the job for bulk reloading very nicely.  

I'm also not loading for precision, but quantity, so there's that too.

Can't help on the CFE-223 side.  Got 16lbs of it that I need to switch over to now that I'm out of my BL-C2, so I sure as hell hope it's decent powder =)
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 8:59:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Power trimmers are the only way to go. Look at Giraud's or "The World's Finest Trimmer" rather than a hand crank.

I don't like ball powders. H-322, IMR-8208-XBR, N133, RE-10X and AA-2015 all work great for bullets weighing up to 62 grains.

H4895, RE-15, IMR-8208-XBR, Varget, and N140 work great with 68 to 77 grain bullets.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 9:28:01 PM EDT
[#3]
There are more than a few good trimmers out there but I noticed you said you are just starting out.

I don't know what your trimmer budget is or your future interests in different calibers. If you want something inexpensive, accurate and yes slow you can get a Lee.

While I'd never recommend it as your one and only system it can get you started very cheaply. The nice thing about the Lee is its versatility when you venture into other low volume calibers.

Can't help you with the powder but never heard anything bad about it. Personally I don't love or hate any of them. Before getting my Chargemaster 1500 I tried to use mostly ball type powder and never had any complaints.

Motor
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 9:57:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Trimmer? The $98 I spent on my Giraud Tri Way is some of the best money I've ever spent on reloading.

Powder? A bunch of good ones. Light bullets, Alliant Power Pro 1200-R. Heavies, VARGET.
ETA: The CFE223 is good stuff.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:10:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Trimming really, really, really sucks. Deburring and chamfering after trimming really, really sucks. I have the Worlds Finest Trimmer and it is very nice, but you still have to debur and chamfer after, which as I said, really, really sucks. Get the Giraud Tri Way trimmer, chuck it in a drill and call it a day. As for the powder, never used it, but I'm sure it is gtg as a lot of people do. Welcome to another sickness!
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:11:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 8:49:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks everyone. I just checked out the Giraud and it seems like I will go in that direction! Do you have to buy directly from them or is it available other places?
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 9:33:07 AM EDT
[#8]
I like the Crow (WFT) and either RL10x or Winchester 748.  I have also used H335 and IMR4895.  
kwg
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 9:33:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Call em'

They are quite pleasant to deal with.

You won't be disappointed with ANY of their products.... Good folks.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 1:39:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Just another opinion...
I have tried the WFT type trimmers and IMHO they suck too if your doing any kind of volume. They will wear out your fingers in no short order trying to hold onto the cases as they get trimmed.
The best solution that I have found is the RCBS lathe type using the power adapter and the RCBS 3 way cutter. It trims, camfers and deburs in one step very accurately. It is easy on the fingers and fast.
In this instance it is one of the cry once deals... not the least expensive solution, just the best. You can either buy additional 3 way cutters for each caliber you do or convert the 1 you have for each(highly recommend  1 for ea caliber).
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 2:40:31 PM EDT
[#11]
If you use gloves with the Giraud your fingers won't be bothered. Less than 45 minutes after I had the package from Giraud in my hand I had over 500 cases done. I don't know if the RCBS can match that rate of production. That and the fact that the Giraud is less than $100 if you have a power source. The RCBS is $300.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 6:03:00 PM EDT
[#12]
I have the RCBS trim pro and trim mates...most likely not the fastest out there, but simple, accurate, and easy to use....the trim mate is setup to chamfer inside and outside, uniform primer pockets, and a scrub brush for cleaning the necks, it also will chamfer mil crimped primer pockets as well..you can now buy them both combined into one machine, but I like having them separate because while I trim, the boy will chamfer and do the primer pockets....plus RCBS has a $50 rebate on over 300 purchase as well...
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 6:55:28 PM EDT
[#13]
The Giraud tri-way is reasonable, repeatable and adjustable.

I have the WFT to compare to.

I'm liking the Giraud.

Link Posted: 5/25/2015 10:33:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 1:55:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There are more than a few good trimmers out there but I noticed you said you are just starting out.

I don't know what your trimmer budget is or your future interests in different calibers. If you want something inexpensive, accurate and yes slow you can get a Lee.

While I'd never recommend it as your one and only system it can get you started very cheaply. The nice thing about the Lee is its versatility when you venture into other low volume calibers.

Can't help you with the powder but never heard anything bad about it. Personally I don't love or hate any of them. Before getting my Chargemaster 1500 I tried to use mostly ball type powder and never had any complaints.

Motor
View Quote

I use the lee cutter and lock stud, along with whatever case length gauge/shell holder of the caliber I'm trimming. I take the lock stud and place it in my drill(which is secured to a bench) and I can trim the brass reasonably quickly. It's not any where near the quality of the high end trimmers, but it's always accurate, easy to use and very inexpensive. I highly recommend it for a new reloader.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 4:52:46 PM EDT
[#16]
I use the Lee tool also but with a twist.

For you guys using a Giraud or WFT etc, use a pair of "ignition wire pliers" like these to hold the cases.

Link Posted: 5/26/2015 7:09:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I use the Lee tool also but with a twist.
View Quote

Very nice!  I've gotten pretty good with the lock stud, but the beats my process by a mile.
Thank you for sharing it.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 10:21:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
All I'm lacking on getting started on reloading .223 is a case trimmer. I just took a beginners reloading class and the teacher recommended the Hornady Cam Lock trimmer but take note that he works for Hornady. So is this a good one? My local supplier has it in stock for $73. Also the only powder I can find is CFE-223. Heard good stuff about it so what do you guys think. Thank you.
View Quote

Yes it is good.

I do this
http://youtu.be/j65zHxVenz8
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 10:50:37 AM EDT
[#19]
What about the Lee Quick trim? My budget is really low now and speed is not an issue.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 11:54:08 AM EDT
[#20]
The Lee Quick Trim that mounts on the press was horrible experience for me, but others have liked it.

Guaranteed your arms get tired of cranking that handle if doing any kind of quantity.

The Lee Zip Trim will work for a couple thousand cases before it breaks, but t will break eventually.

Also, have to watch case length changing as the guide rod slowly wears out a spot on the case holder.

I have the WFT and a Giraud Tri Way cutter, the Giraud wins hands down.

I use a C-clamp to firmly mount hand drill on bench, wear some light weight work gloves, and feed

cases with both hands. Trim, debur, and chamfer 900 cases and hour without breaking a sweat.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 2:53:23 PM EDT
[#21]
I have a Giraud Tri way on its way as I type. I've had 1200 sized cases on the bench staring at me for a month.

If all you are looking for is powder for blasting 55fmjs than there are a ton that will work. I prefer ball powders because I am lazy.
H335, W748, BLC-2, CFE223 etc
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 3:31:03 PM EDT
[#22]
I have two different type of trimmers

1. RCBS.  You can basically trim anything.
2. Lee .223 trimmer die.  This screws onto my multi stage press.  After the case goes through station one for decap/resize, it goes to the station two for trim.  Pretty fast.  Just few swirl on the handle.

The disadvantage of #2 is that, the die is cartridge specific.  It works great if you don't have a lot of different cartridges you want to resize.  Much faster than #1 set up.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 6:34:34 PM EDT
[#23]
CFE is good powder, load them up.  I personally use blc-2 because it was available when I started reloading and meters really well.

As far as trimming and since you are new to reloading, don't go mechanical yet.  Use the Lee Zip Trim or any other trimmer that forces you to use labor.  You want to spend as much time with the brass by touching it, looking at it, noticing flaws, etc... till you build a good foundation for reloading.  Brass prep is all about you unless you cast your own bullets.  Another reason is that you will know you can reload without the use of power/batteries/power tools.  If you can load old school, you will ALWAYS be able to roll your own.  Think about it.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 8:35:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
CFE is good powder, load them up.  I personally use blc-2 because it was available when I started reloading and meters really well.

As far as trimming and since you are new to reloading, don't go mechanical yet.  Use the Lee Zip Trim or any other trimmer that forces you to use labor.  You want to spend as much time with the brass by touching it, looking at it, noticing flaws, etc... till you build a good foundation for reloading.  Brass prep is all about you unless you cast your own bullets.  Another reason is that you will know you can reload without the use of power/batteries/power tools.  If you can load old school, you will ALWAYS be able to roll your own.  Think about it.
View Quote

This is good advice.  Unless you are going to trim a lot of cases, a simple hand trimmer will do fine for now while you are getting fully up to speed in reloading.   I still use a simple Lyman EZ-Trim, about $25 dollars with .223 and most other standard rifle pilots.  You begin by twisting by hand.  Once you get the hang of it, you load it up in a drill chuck, which goes faster. You just push the case down over the pilot, when it bottoms out, the cutter stops.  Can't cut too much.  Pretty foolproof.  Oh, and it's cheap for low volume prep.

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 10:35:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thanks for the great advice, makes a lot of sense. I ended up getting the Lee Deluxe Quick Trim. It was $17.50 and the 223 trim die was $7.77 so it fit well within my budget. Today I completed my first ever rounds! I made 10 rds to test before I make more. The trimmer worked great! I used CFE223 powder. I wish I had looked into reloading a long time ago. Thanks to all who replied!
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 10:37:10 PM EDT
[#26]
I have an RCBS lathe type, and automated it with a Black and Decker cordless drill.  I found a sling swivel with a 10-32 thread, and screw that in where the handle normally goes.  I tighten the drill's chuck on the sling swivel.

On occasion I check cutting depth to make sure it doesn't slip.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 11:41:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 12:41:08 AM EDT
[#28]
Reloading gets expensive haha I started a 1.5yrs ago, when reloading 223 seems like there is always 1 more tool to help case prep. I'm using the giraud tri way and it's great I'm really considering the dillon trimmer for my xl 650 but that's like $400. Cfe 223 is a great powder for 223
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 9:25:19 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm old and arthritic, but I find the WFT works great.  I have no trouble handling the cases and immediately after trimming I  use a simple Hornady motorized chamfer tool to clean up the inside and outside neck edges.  Unless someone invents a "no touch" system, I couldn't be happier with what I use.  All electric, very quick and easy. Yes, you have to hold the case, but the effort is minimal.

I started with a hand trimmer and after trimming the first two cases I ordered the WFT.  I completely bypassed the "lathe" type trimmers because I am certain I would have given up on one of those after only one case.  I don't trim a lot of cases, but when I do I don't want to spend a lot of time on each one, especially since there are inexpensive tools available to to the job in a short period of time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top