Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/4/2015 1:58:50 PM EDT
So last night I was de-capping a bunch of brass in prep for wet tumbling on my single stage press. Went to adjust the shellplate and ended up de-capping the tip of my finger. Have you ever bitten the inside of  your mouth, you know that crunchy, gristly kind of feeling. Yeah that's what it felt like on my finger, at first, then it got worse from there.

Sorry no pics, it actually doesn't look that horrible. Nice quarter circle of bruise forming on the end of my finger today and just a little dot from the decapping pin.

I'm guessing after the rhythm of place a piece of brass with one hand, pull the handle with the other, my right hand didn't know what the left was up too.

Link Posted: 5/4/2015 2:41:50 PM EDT
[#1]
BTDT
Hurts so good
ETA: Wait til you raise the case before you get your finger out of the way while resizing...
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 2:56:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I was decapping .40 brass a couple weeks ago and had a good rhythm going.  I was only bringing the ram down far enough to get the brass in and out.  One didn't quite get push all the way in so I push it back with my finger and didn't get it out of the way in time.  My finger got sandwiched in between the die and the empty case.  The case cut a fairly deep semi circle  the tip of my finger.  Bled pretty good, I'm lucky it didn't cut all the way through.  It healed fairly quickly, but was pretty tender for a while.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 4:37:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
BTDT
Hurts so good
ETA: Wait til you raise the case before you get your finger out of the way while resizing...
View Quote

You haven't reloaded enough if you haven't done this...
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 4:37:51 PM EDT
[#4]
So what you're all saying is:

Buy a case feeder
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 4:40:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 5:28:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Last week, I was deburring brass and a piece slipped and sliced my thumb pretty good. Still hasn't healed yet. Glad yours wasn't too bad.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 5:57:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Oh the pain.

When I first clipped my finger in my SS press I said this is a first, but probably not the last time.

Now after the second time, I say when will the last time arrive.

Still feels better than when my thumb got between a 1.5 inch end mill and a AR15 lower.

I had my share of mishaps I knew can happen but always hope it won't.

Be safe, alert, know the risks and always prepare for the worst if it can happen.

Glad your ok.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 6:14:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Did that ONCE while loading 38spl when I was 16-17.

Compound leverage is a bitch.  Decapping pin broke the skin of my left index finger around the first knucle and sank to the bone.

Surprised I didnt break the bone or have a circle/hole punched finger on case side of press.
That is your press' way of saying
<snip>don't post like that in this forum, this is not GD. dryflash3
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 6:18:00 PM EDT
[#9]
I blame Hornady One Shot

should have used Imperial...

Link Posted: 5/4/2015 8:40:35 PM EDT
[#10]

been there done that as well. Must be a right of passage.In fact the bruise under the fingernail is almost to the end...
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 10:05:03 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

BTDT

Hurts so good

Is it kinda like hitting your thumb with a 24ounce serrated framing hammer while driving 16 penny nails?

Link Posted: 5/4/2015 10:31:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Hurts like hell don't it!. You'll do it again in a few years. I won't hurt any less then.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 11:52:01 PM EDT
[#13]
I won't steal your thunder, Op, but.......................

if I shoot the bird my left bird is taller.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 10:47:43 AM EDT
[#14]
I've done it as well and the worst part is I got confused as to which way to move the lever.....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top