Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/30/2015 7:06:14 PM EDT
Cabelas has a deal going on some of there automated powder dispensers right now and I've been wanting to get on for awhile now. I'm leaning towards the Lyman Gen6. I had been looking at the Hornady for a long time but it has some bad reviews and most of them say how it always over charges. My other option is I have the

RCBS 1500 scale and just need the chargemaster to hook up to it. Unfortunately just the chargemaster is not on sale. Should I get one of these dispensers or just wait until I find a deal on the chargemaster?
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 7:47:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I bought a Hornady automeasure about a month ago and have used it for .223, .30-30, .308, .30-06 and .45-70 loads with no problems.  I check it against my rcbs electronic scale and there has never been more than one tenth of a grain difference between them.  I like my hornady.  That said,  I'm sure there are other good products out there and have heard good things about the lyman.  Take care.  Larry
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 8:02:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I've got the chargemaster. It overcharges about 1/10 throws. I need to do the straw trick as I use mostly ball powder. I also have reprogrammed for faster dispensing. That said. I just bought a Harrell's precision powder measure to see if I can't speed up even a little more without losing any consistency.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:02:09 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I've got the chargemaster. It overcharges about 1/10 throws. I need to do the straw trick as I use mostly ball powder. I also have reprogrammed for faster dispensing. That said. I just bought a Harrell's precision powder measure to see if I can't speed up even a little more without losing any consistency.
View Quote

The Harrell's powder measure was one of the best investments I have made to date. I wouldn't want to load with my old RCBS powder measure anymore. It's night and day difference.

I was torn between an automated dispenser and the Harrell's measure, but after I read that 1/10 grain error was standard on most of the automated dispensers I went with a better powder measure. I can typically get 1/10 grain error with stick powder and obviously more accurate with ball powder.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:15:31 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a hornady and it is on with my Dillon beam scale. Everytime I use it I will turn it on for about 15 minutes then calibrate it before the first drop. I then set it on fast speed with it going to trickle .6grains early.

I got tired of changing the powder between h1000 and varget so I bought a 2nd one and I had to return it to cabelas I never could get it to drop right. They replaced it with another and I had the same problems So I got my money back.

I have used a RCBS and it seems like it is a very good unit.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:26:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I have the chargemaster and it is awsome it does overthrow sometimes but it doesn't bother me. My friend has a Lyman and he said it is a pain to change powders but the chargemaster is very simple and I have never had to warm it up either

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:58:32 PM EDT
[#6]
I thought the Lyman gen 6 looked nice until I saw how you had to empty out powder. That looked like a pain in the butt.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 1:16:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I thought the Lyman gen 6 looked nice until I saw how you had to empty out powder. That looked like a pain in the butt.
View Quote

I just got my Gen 6 set up last night...cleaning the powder out isn't that bad.

You don't have to take it all the way down every time, some judicious tilting and brushing will get all the powder out.

Takes about as much time as doing the initial warmup and calibration.

Link Posted: 3/31/2015 11:32:47 AM EDT
[#8]
I had a Hornady electric powder measure and it was slow took about 20-30 seconds for one charge and a lot of the charges where over. I went back to using my Redding Competition Model BR-30 Powder Measure it is a lot faster for loading bulk ammo.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top