Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/29/2015 3:32:45 PM EDT
I have an FNS 9 that failed on me, or I failed it, yesterday. I used various headstamps of brass, 4.2 grains of Titegroup, "blue bullets" cast lead RN polymer coated, OAL 1.113, CCI small pistol primers. If I doulblecharged, the case would overflow, or not seat a bullet with much more than 4.2. could the primer have not been seated fully? I have had some rounds with "bulges" from the bullet being seated. was it the gun or the ammo? I received a small cut on my right thumb, nothing else. I thought if a round were doublecharged I would not have a thumb today. I was doing a "mag dump" firing as fast as I could pull the trigger. I appreciate your thoughts.
http://s916.photobucket.com/user/acthomp/media/trailergun%20026.jpg.html
http://s916.photobucket.com/user/acthomp/media/trailergun%20027.jpg.html
http://s916.photobucket.com/user/acthomp/media/trailergun%20028.jpg.html
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 4:53:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not clear on what your bullet type and weight is that you were loading.

I do know that with loading 9mm with Titegroup I can triple charge a case.

Could of been a double charge or just a failure of the pistol.

A sized 9MM case can get wasp waisted and that can help in preventing bullet setback.

Was the case separated by the head?

A "smiley faced" peice of brass could of got into your reloading batch and failed.

Good to hear you are ok.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 5:14:44 PM EDT
[#2]
115 grain cast lead RN. The brand is called "The blue bullet". I am new to reloading. .What is a "smiley faced" case? The case did separate at the head, I can't get the case out of the pistol, but looking into the mag well I can see the chamber. Thank you for the response.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 5:14:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I have an FNS 9 that failed on me, or I failed it, yesterday. I used various headstamps of brass, 4.2 grains of Titegroup, "blue bullets" cast lead RN polymer coated, OAL 1.113, CCI small pistol primers. If I doulblecharged, the case would overflow, or not seat a bullet with much more than 4.2. could the primer have not been seated fully? I have had some rounds with "bulges" from the bullet being seated. was it the gun or the ammo? I received a small cut on my right thumb, nothing else. I thought if a round were doublecharged I would not have a thumb today. I was doing a "mag dump" firing as fast as I could pull the trigger. I appreciate your thoughts.
http://s916.photobucket.com/user/acthomp/media/trailergun%20026.jpg.html
http://s916.photobucket.com/user/acthomp/media/trailergun%20027.jpg.html
http://s916.photobucket.com/user/acthomp/media/trailergun%20028.jpg.html
View Quote

Well, I can tell you are not the first person to destroy a pistol using Titegroup and you won't be the last.

That said, there is no way we can help you with your problem with out details.  Lots of details.

For starters, what bullet weight were you loading?

What press were you using?

What method of charging the case were you using?

What scale were you using?

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 5:19:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
115 grain cast lead RN. The brand is called "The blue bullet". I am new to reloading. .What is a "smiley faced" case? The case did separate at the head, I can't get the case out of the pistol, but looking into the mag well I can see the chamber. Thank you for the response.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I used various headstamps of brass, 4.2 grains of Titegroup, "blue bullets" cast lead RN polymer coated, OAL 1.113,    

There ya go.  4.3gr is max with 115gr Lead according to Hodgdon.

3.8gr is Max according to Lyman with 120gr lead.

Titegroup does not play nice when pushed above max, like you just did.

Live and learn.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 6:46:15 PM EDT
[#5]

Lee turret press
Lee auto disc powder measure. .34 hole on the disc
Lee safety scale.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 7:02:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

This can lead to a failure of the compromised brass case from a maximum load and/or unsupported chamber.

Titegroup is a awesome powder.

A little goes a long way and it can be used for many calibers with excellent results.

It can get spooky at maximum charges, but I found if I stay just below maximum published data in a well maintained and properly operating pistol it will give you no issues.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 7:35:26 PM EDT
[#7]
9mm Luger ?         Your at maximum for a lead bullet.  How that relates to a coated bullet  i dont know.  The 3.9 gr starting Hodgdon load may be  better.
View Quote
How well do you know your equipment?  It may take as many as 20 cycles of any  measure to settle the powder and get an accurate measurement. To much powder would seem to be the problem??   Sorry, not much help here.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 8:13:14 PM EDT
[#8]
The guns disconnector should keep it from firing, if the round is not fully chambered. Could be a fault with the disconnector??   If you can get the case out of the barrel, do the plunk test. If the OAL was to long, the round may have fired when the action was not fully closed??  The taper crimp may also keep the action from fully closing. Using range brass of different trim length may become a problem trying to get a good crimp. If the coating on the bullet is thicker on some, more than others, the ogive of the bullet may contact the rifling sooner. A shorter OAL may be needed? ?  
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 8:58:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted: I was doing a "mag dump" firing as fast as I could pull the trigger.
View Quote

Squib? How's the barrel look?

Blue bullets are about as consistent a cast bullet as you'll get, and the coating is very uniform, of course mistakes can be made even by the largest bullet producers.

IME Lee auto disc measures drop lighter as you go, not heavier, if they vary at all, hopper doesn't seem to hold enough to really pack down as it vibrates.

Have you checked any to be sure you weren't getting set-back? Bulges are normal if it's kind of a coke bottle effect and not brass rolling/folding/bulging right at the case mouth.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 9:41:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 7:44:18 AM EDT
[#11]
The barrel is clear, the bullet went out of the barrel. I check every round visually for any deformity and run my finger across the primer to ensure seated fully, before putting in the can. Thank you all for the response. I am going to pull all of the bullets  from the lot I just made.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 7:48:40 AM EDT
[#12]
I will do 10-15 powder drops weighing each one before seating any bullets, and then every 15-20 rounds will weigh again to ensure the correct amount of powder. I will do more cycles next time. Thank you for the response.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:08:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Looking into each case before seating a bullet to check the powder level is the safest  method. Some have even put a little light on the press to help see into the case..  Powder measures  may bridge the powder in the drop tube. One shell will get  a light  powder drop of 3/4.  The next shell gets  1 1/4 powder charge. It happens.  Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:19:53 AM EDT
[#14]
I cannot even venture to guess anything at all based on the minimal information you've provided.

Do you have the failed case?

What does the barrel look like?

Post some pictures of the case heads of fired cases.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 7:35:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Thank you for the reply. I do not have the fired case, it is stuck in the pistol. The barrel is clear, the chamber can be seen from the mag well, the slide is stuck just far enough back to see. the back of the case stuck in the gun is gone, the side of the case can bee seen from the side, and from what I can tell no damage to the barrel. The slide would not move, I did not attempt to open it with force/tools. I do not have pics of the barrel, I already sent the pistol to FN to see what can be done. I fired about 225 rounds that day, I grabbed a handful of the cases that were from the same lot of ammo.
http://s916.photobucket.com/user/acthomp/media/cases%20002.jpg.html?o=0
http://s916.photobucket.com/user/acthomp/media/cases%20003.jpg.html?o=2
http://s916.photobucket.com/user/acthomp/media/cases%20004.jpg.html?o=3
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 8:01:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Update when you hear from FN. Looking at the fired brass, nothing stands out as over pressure to me.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:22:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:27:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Photo links are live on cell phone, but not on the desk top computer.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 11:20:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Hodgdon data lists a MAX of 4.8 gr of Titegroup for a 115 gr FMJ, so your 4.2 gr load is about a start load for a lead bullet. I don't know much about those coated bullets but they may be somewhere between lead and jacketed. I think the load is OK.

Looking at the pics of the brass I don't see any signs of overpressure although some of the cases appear to be longer in OAL than others, some look taller than one next to it.

Since one blew up and you can't move the slide I would think the barrel is bulged. Maybe, while doing a ''mag dump'' you got a squib and didn't notice. Now the case is blown apart and ''you can see the chamber'', I think what you're seeing is the inside of the case through the mag well.

If I may offer one bit of advice to help you avoid squibs it would be: Look in EVERY case for powder and the correct amount.
You'll get so used to seeing the right amount that even 2/10 of a grain will be noticeable.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 7:58:12 AM EDT
[#20]
OK, so I sent my FNS9 back to FN and the reply I got was to replace the pistol. It took about 2 1/2 weeks to hear from them. I called and asked what went wrong, the service guy said" They do not keep records, or even probably remember any one firearm". Should I have pushed it and tried to talk to the guy(or girl) who looked at the firearm? I am thinking that because I told them it was reloaded ammo that the ammo was automatically blamed. I really appreciate all of the responses I have received.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 8:24:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Lee turret press
Lee safety scale.
View Quote

I think your problem is with that particular piece of brass and not the powder.  .34 disc gives me exactly 4.0gr of Titegroup as measured on two scales.  This has been consistant for me over 1500 reloaded rounds.
If you are using .34 disc you are NOT getting 4.3 gr of Titegroup.  
Calibrate your scale sir.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 8:26:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
OK, so I sent my FNS9 back to FN and the reply I got was to replace the pistol. It took about 2 1/2 weeks to hear from them. I called and asked what went wrong, the service guy said" They do not keep records, or even probably remember any one firearm". Should I have pushed it and tried to talk to the guy(or girl) who looked at the firearm? I am thinking that because I told them it was reloaded ammo that the ammo was automatically blamed. I really appreciate all of the responses I have received.
View Quote

Well, sure.  Guns generally don't cause a cartridge to blow out like that.,
The ammo was/is the problem.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 8:28:15 AM EDT
[#23]
When they got the gun apart and started looking at it real good, I'm sure they could tell the rounds it was firing were reloads.
Telling them was honesty on your part.

Yes, they should keep better records and tell you what went wrong, especially when you're paying for it. They are not replacing the gun for free are they ?
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 8:31:31 AM EDT
[#24]
the reply I got was to replace the pistol.
View Quote
 Is FN sending you a new firearm at no cost?
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 9:22:50 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Gosh.. i would be so surprised. Especially since OP admitted it was reloaded ammo. Quick way to void warranty. I would never ever admit it. Not because I am being dishonested but because I dont want them blaming my ammo if the trigger guard cracks. Not the ammo...

I had a friend who blamed my reloads when his tube broke on his Henry lever. I make himmouse fart loads with plated bullets. Now how is the ammo going to break off the tab that holds feeding tube on???

Anyway, good luck op..
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 9:25:00 AM EDT
[#26]
The suggestions that you got to visually look into every case to verify powder level is spot on and should be adopted by anyone who reloads. Also install a bright LED light to illuminate the case in your machine to help with a visual inspection. FWIW sorry you wrecked your firearm.

Vince
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 9:51:20 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Gosh.. i would be so surprised. Especially since OP admitted it was reloaded ammo. Quick way to void warranty. I would never ever admit it. Not because I am being dishonested but because I dont want them blaming my ammo if the trigger guard cracks. Not the ammo...

I had a friend who blamed my reloads when his tube broke on his Henry lever. I make himmouse fart loads with plated bullets. Now how is the ammo going to break off the tab that holds feeding tube on???

Anyway, good luck op..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Anyway, good luck op..

Another good reason to not let "anyone" shoot your handloads.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 6:54:40 PM EDT
[#28]
FN is charging me $400 for a new one.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 7:18:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Tell them you want the other one back.

Then look it over real good to find out the cause of the failure.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top