Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/11/2015 6:58:38 PM EDT
With all this BS with ammo bans, neckbeards and whatnot; I've finally decided to get into handloading. A co-worker friend sold me his Dillon Square Deal loading setup with spare conversions and assorted accesories for $500. Now, I have to figure how to set this thing up.

I have no prior experience with handloading, but I am willing to learn if someone will guide me in the right direction.

I have the following conversion kits right now:

.380 ACP
9mm (on the machine)
.38/.357
.44 SPC
.45 ACP
Plus a set of RCBS Dies (that don't fit) in .45-70.

It also came with a case tumbler and an old AMT Powder measure. I understand that I will need more stuff, like up to date load data books, which I will buy both the Lee load data and Barnes load data books for; but  being a n00b, ijust need some friendly advice on how to se this up to get the best out of it.

Any and all advice is GREATLY appreciated.

Link Posted: 3/11/2015 7:12:02 PM EDT
[#1]
A good reloading manual should cover the basics in the introductory chapters.  You will want to follow the load recipes in the manual and found online from powder vendors (e.g., Hodgdon).  Also youtube is a good resource.  You could specifically look up videos of folks reloading with a SDB.

Do you have a scale and some calipers?
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 7:12:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Brian Enos.  Order the instructional DVD for the square deal.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 8:13:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A good reloading manual should cover the basics in the introductory chapters.  You will want to follow the load recipes in the manual and found online from powder vendors (e.g., Hodgdon).  Also youtube is a good resource.  You could specifically look up videos of folks reloading with a SDB.

Do you have a scale and some calipers?
View Quote

Not yet, but it's on my shopping list. Like I said, I am a total newbie on this, but I am wormking slowly to get it all set up. The same guy that sold me the SDB is also building a work bench for me to mount the whole setup. And since I live within driving distance of the company HQ, I can go to the store and get all the parts I will need.

I'm considering in trading the conversion kits I will npot use for ones I can use, like the .380 ACP and the .44SPC for a .40cal, which will come in handy when I go full bore on USPSA shooting.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 8:19:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Get the book ABCs of reloading
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 8:42:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Where in AZ are you? I could help square you away.

ETA: I just reread and realized that you must be in Scottsdale. I won't be down there until the end of the month, but I'd be more than willing to help you out then.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 9:11:14 PM EDT
[#6]
If someone experienced is offering to help you set up, OP, take him up on his offer. There's so much more somebody can show you than can be described online.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 9:11:45 PM EDT
[#7]
a good manual is invaluable.it should be the FIRST thing for EVERY person getting into reloading. we aren't playing with lincoln logs, it is more of a science, and doing things haphazardly can lead to grave consequences regarding life and limb. manuals are also a good way to get some data, that is easily reviewable at your bench, unlike powder manufacturer's websites. please, do NOT just read something online as far as powder data and run with it, there are quite a few..... how shall i say.... well meaning but misguided loaders out there that have posted some pretty dangerous loads in several places, always reference published data and work up for yourself. all firearms are different and can like different things.

one guy's pet load that is amazingly accurate for him can be all over the place with your weapon.

in lieu of having hands on help setting up, read your manual regarding reloading steps, then read it again. Then watch some youtube videos or get the manufacturer's video regarding your setup.If I had one, I'd let you borrow it, but I only have one for the 550b.

good luck. have fun. ask questions on things that you are having issues with understanding or getting right. don't take risks, be anal retentive about qa/qc.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 9:45:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 10:14:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 1:20:27 PM EDT
[#10]
get a smart mount and light kit from inline precision....

Depending on the age of the unit...send the whole thing off to Dillon for a complete rebuild /tune up.

Of all the calibers you listed, the .45 will be the easiest to get started with and turn out great ammo.

Good loading and shooting sir
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 3:54:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Since you are in driving distance  to Dillon pack up the press and take it to them to go through and refurbish.  You can walk around the show room and marvel at all of the presses.  You can play with an SDB that is all set up.  

Standard dies do not fit in an SDB.
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 3:45:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Picked up a Lyman Loading book (49th Edition) and reading it as I type. It feels rather intimidating, but I will do this. I am not afraid of a new challenge.

Oh, and printing the SDB manual too.
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 4:46:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 9:04:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Make sure you have good lighting and take your time starting out. The manual is pretty detailed, IMO.

Dryflash -Love the wood adjustment wheel on the powder bar nut.
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 9:52:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 2:50:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Well, I'm in Scottsdale at the Dillon factory. Dropped off the SDB for a service and picked up all the parts and doohickeys that I'll need.  Plus a holster for my XD-M and 270 rounds of M855 for $38 a box of 90.

Got a bullet puller, calipers, primer flip tray, powder scale, case lube and polish.

Also got an SDB manual, Blue Press catalog and new tips for the primer tubes for free. Along with a 10% discount on the order for being LE.

Guys were nice enough to give me some freebies as well. In all, a great experience to have. Now I have to pick my bench up from my coworker and then set it up for loading. It's goi to be a great weekend.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 10:10:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 1:51:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Good to see you have what you need.

Be sure bench is rock solid and bolted to the wall studs.

Progressive presses act up when on a shaky bench.
View Quote

Oh, I have a big, sturdy bech (made with 2X4s and 3/4" plywood), just got to make sure is 54" off the ground (as per Dillon rep).
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 12:12:23 PM EDT
[#19]
54?  Are you sure about that, or is that a typo?  45 sounds reasonable...
Mock it up first.  I am 5'7" and have mine mounted at 43"

Two more suggestions for the SDB :
Look into replacing the spent primer catch cup with a tube and a coffee can.  Somewhere around there is a mod that replaces the stock bracket with a drilled out 9mm shell casing and a piece of poly tubing, routing the primers into said can.

UniqueTek  micrometer bar.  The stock adjuster works fine, but this one makes life much easier when you are working up loads or changing powders often.
http://www.uniquetek.com/site/696296/product/T1231

Good luck with your SDB!
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 1:59:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
54?  Are you sure about that, or is that a typo?  45 sounds reasonable...
Mock it up first.  I am 5'7" and have mine mounted at 43"

Two more suggestions for the SDB :
Look into replacing the spent primer catch cup with a tube and a coffee can.  Somewhere around there is a mod that replaces the stock bracket with a drilled out 9mm shell casing and a piece of poly tubing, routing the primers into said can.

UniqueTek  micrometer bar.  The stock adjuster works fine, but this one makes life much easier when you are working up loads or changing powders often.
http://www.uniquetek.com/site/696296/product/T1231

Good luck with your SDB!
View Quote

Thanks for the coffee can trick. I will do it as soon as I get my press mounted. Yeah, the numbers were off, I'm 6'1", so that won't cut it... As for mounting the press, I kind of hit a little wall of sorts...

Here's the press, after it got back from refurbishment up in Scottsdale...

This is the table I will mount it too...

Found that on my table, one of the mounting holes sits on top of a 2x4, so I will have to get a strong mount to get is installed - No biggie, I can drive up to Dillon and get it, just a little setback. It'll give me an excuse to do some more shopping there.

As for lighting, I will get a cheap clamp-on LED light to mount to the table; the table has a power strip in the back to power it. I'm really looking forward to start my batch of 9mm ammo once I get it all set up.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 5:51:44 PM EDT
[#21]
any updates ?
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 10:12:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 11:01:14 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
You may be fine with a Strong mount and the 3/4 top. The strong mount is designed to add strength to a bench top.

I would remove those wheels, a reloading bench should never slide around.

Best practice is to bolt bench to the studs. Use angle iron and lag bolts for this.

Good luck
View Quote

I would bolt it to the studs, but I'm renting the house, so that's a no-go. I'll go to Dillon HQ tomorrow and get the strong mount and a .40 cal conversion kit, and whatever else I find that peaks my interest. WIll probably sell some of the conversion kits I have that I won't use to make up the difference. Thanks for the advice.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 12:40:02 PM EDT
[#24]
killer machine.

i sit on a 5 gallon bucket.

650 on strong mounts,standin up.

clown
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 4:11:53 AM EDT
[#25]
Okay, after a bit of laziness on my part; the press is ready to roll...

I even got some case gauges in 9mm, 40SW and 45 ACP.

And now, the ingredients for my small batch of 9mm ball ammo...

Hopefully, this will result in some good plinking ammo. I have the load data for the powder, so I hope that I will not blow myself up in the process.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 8:47:25 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 2:33:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 2:59:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
SDB looks brand new.

View Quote

Yeah. Dillon did a full refurb on it and it shows.
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 9:27:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Okay, after a bit of laziness on my part; the press is ready to roll...

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a362/Sablelieger/Assorted/184E0380-09EF-4C74-A0CB-9805A2252F26_zpspfp1ve0j.jpg

I even got some case gauges in 9mm, 40SW and 45 ACP.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a362/Sablelieger/Assorted/3FDDCFF7-BA16-43CA-83A0-87BF9A9A194C_zpsftinoaha.jpg

And now, the ingredients for my small batch of 9mm ball ammo...

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a362/Sablelieger/Assorted/C9514FC0-298C-48BB-A4F9-2B47D4D80D99_zpssiw29oiq.jpg

Hopefully, this will result in some good plinking ammo. I have the load data for the powder, so I hope that I will not blow myself up in the process.
View Quote

I've been loading with a Square Deal B for 20 years.  With some time and practice, you are going to find that you'll be able to produce better than plinking ammo.  When my wife was competing, I made her .45 and .357 magnum ammo on the SDB.  She was a pretty consistent winner.  
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 12:22:39 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Looks great.   Dillon now makes the toolhead stands for the Square Deal.   I probably would have had a shelf full of them had I not switched presses.

https://www.dillonprecision.com/uimages//Final_SDB_Stand.jpg
View Quote

Oi! That looks slick. Now I might have to buy three of those for the conversions that I will keep.  
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 11:07:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Okay, started my first batch of 115gr. 9mm FMJs. Working very slowly since the powder funnel is not cooperating, so I am doing everything as if I was working on a single-stage press; measuring the powder by han, using the scale i have, pouring it manually into the primed brass, seating the bullet and making sure every single round passes through the gage i have flawlessly.

I'm getting the hang of it, except for doing this in my "Hot-as-Hell" garage..
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 11:24:44 PM EDT
[#32]
What's wrong with the powder funnel?
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 11:28:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 11:50:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Good to hear you have started loading. Nothing wrong with going slow to start.

When you are ready, adjust the powder measure and start using it.

You can still do 1 round at a time start to finish, then insert the next case.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Okay, started my first batch of 115gr. 9mm FMJs. Working very slowly since the powder funnel is not cooperating, so I am doing everything as if I was working on a single-stage press; measuring the powder by han, using the scale i have, pouring it manually into the primed brass, seating the bullet and making sure every single round passes through the gage i have flawlessly.

I'm getting the hang of it, except for doing this in my "Hot-as-Hell" garage..

Good to hear you have started loading. Nothing wrong with going slow to start.

When you are ready, adjust the powder measure and start using it.

You can still do 1 round at a time start to finish, then insert the next case.

That's what I'm doing at the moment. Already did about 30+ rounds, checked each one with the gage and all pass the test. Eagerly waiting to fire them to check for consistency and accuracy; I'll probably do the entire lot (100 rounds) and test them with my CZ-75B and my Glock 19 CCW; I'll post the results whenever i can...

Right now, preparing myself for a quick 3-day visit to my sister in Dallas.
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 12:14:16 AM EDT
[#35]
Grab some Lee molds, a 20lb pot, a Star Lube-Sizer, and some lead. Pouring your own bullets is where reloading your own pistol ammo really shines.
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 3:03:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 11:38:48 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Grab some Lee molds, a 20lb pot, a Star Lube-Sizer, and some lead. Pouring your own bullets is where reloading your own pistol ammo really shines.
View Quote

Baby steps, guy. Baby steps...
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 12:38:04 PM EDT
[#38]
I'm late here, but why did you buy magnum primers?
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 3:01:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I'm late here, but why did you buy magnum primers?
View Quote

Because I dunno the difference. Is using Magnum primers on 9mm loads bad?

I'm running 4.8 grains of Maxam CSB-1 pistol powder, pushing a 115gr. FMJ bullet.

Please let me know if it's good or not. Like I said, I dunno any better (this is my first batch of 9mm ammo).
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 3:43:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 4:02:06 PM EDT
[#41]
ETA - Already disassembled most of the ammo I made, leaving only 15 rounds for testing. The rest have been deprimed and I'm on my way to see if i can find some non-Magnum primers at my LGS.

I guess i can keep the Magnum primers for when I start loading .45ACP then.
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 5:57:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 7:26:13 PM EDT
[#43]
Well, I picked up 1000 Winchester Regular Pistol Primers, so I'm good to go now.

Trial and error, I guess.
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 8:56:18 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Well, I picked up 1000 Winchester Regular Pistol Primers, so I'm good to go now.

Trial and error, I guess.
View Quote

try the mag primers, just start low and work up.  I just noticed you purchased mag primers and wanted to make sure you knew.  I probably noticed because I just bought a box of 1K large pistol MAG primers when I just wanted large pistol.

good luck!

Link Posted: 6/13/2015 9:04:42 AM EDT
[#45]
ended up repriming all my brass and have rolled 20 rounds so far. I'm off to work in a little bit... Once I get the powder funnel figured out, I willhave it calibrated and then things will really get cooking
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 11:22:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 9:14:00 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Some inspiration.
View Quote

Nice layout
Have you tried one of these?

They're great for both bullets and brass once you open up the mouth of the dispensing area.
Van Ness Automatic Dog Feeder
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 11:22:18 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
<a href="http://s250.photobucket.com/user/dryflash3/media/SDB/9mm%20loading/P8100508.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg272/dryflash3/SDB/9mm%20loading/P8100508.jpg</a>

Some inspiration.
View Quote

Dryflash:  Is that your work table?  Assuming that it is, do you have a diagram of the wood bullet trays?  Or a source for them?  Those look massively useful and I have the tools to make them, but not the means to quickly design them.  Too many things going on at once. (I got talked out of retiring, you see, and I have never been so busy in my life.)
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 12:14:57 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 12:20:30 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top