Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/5/2015 9:31:23 AM EDT
I have only load pistol caliber so far, so I am getting ready for 223/5.56. I de-primed a bunch of brass and then tumbled it.....in crushed corn cob........BIG mistake.....many of them packed with the media.......gonna suck getting it out....If that is the worse mistake I ever make...I will be doing good.........
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 9:55:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have only load pistol caliber so far, so I am getting ready for 223/5.56. I de-primed a bunch of brass and then tumbled it.....in crushed corn cob........BIG mistake.....many of them packed with the media.......gonna suck getting it out....If that is the worse mistake I ever make...I will be doing good.........
View Quote

What's backed with media?  The case or the primer pocket?
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:10:23 AM EDT
[#2]
At least you noticed before  you had a bunch loaded up!  Just tumble first before you deprime/size. Save the corncob tumble after they are loaded to remove lube.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:12:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Just take the cover off the tumbler and turn it on. Holding the cartridge cases upside down, one in each hand touch them to the rubber bumper on the tumbler center stem.

87% of the time, that's enough to dislodge any media.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:15:42 AM EDT
[#4]
I never advise anyone to tumble cases after they de-prime the case.  Packed primer pockets are not the worst outcome - the worst outcome is a single piece of media stuck in the flash hole. That will often lead to a failure of the primer to ignite the powder charge.

If you deprime after you tumble the decapping pin ensures there is nothing obstructing the flash hole.

In my experience, primer pockets never get dirty enough to matter, as they stay no more than one shot dirty anyway and there is no need to clean the primer pocket in a normal reloading process.  The exception for me is in precision rifle loads, but by then I'm uniforming flash holes and indexing cases so an added manual cleaning step is a non issue.  

----

As for tumbling to remove the lube, that's not necessary and I try to avoid tumbling rounds at all after they are loaded.  Just wipe them off and they'll be fine.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:25:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

BOTH, the primer pocket is no big deal, but the case is a pain in the a$$...I de-primed this time (i usually don't) cause I was worried about military brass......swag primer.....
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:29:36 AM EDT
[#6]
no issues.  Pull all cases out of tumbler.  Pour media into something else, put cases in tumbler, with no media.  I bet if you tumble for a minute or two, all the corn cob media will loosen and vibrate out.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 11:08:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Hum brass prep, tumble cases in corn cob to clean ,spray with dillon home made lube run through press to deprime -swag-size/trim, then tumble to remove lube, load. never had a issue with corn cob, I'm sure dryflash3 will poke his head in to remind us which grade/size is the proper size as I don't remember off hand
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 11:16:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 11:27:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
no issues.  Pull all cases out of tumbler.  Pour media into something else, put cases in tumbler, with no media.  I bet if you tumble for a minute or two, all the corn cob media will loosen and vibrate out.
View Quote

Awesome, I will try that! Thank you........
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 11:28:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If you buy corn cob with a 14-20 grit size, it flows through the flashole and primer pocket and you don't have to pick it out.

http://www.grainger.com/product/ECONOLINE-Blast-Media-2MVR4?nls=1&searchQuery=2mvr4
View Quote

yeah, I was being cheap and bought the pet store kind!!!!  I like crushed walnut better.....
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 11:28:25 AM EDT
[#11]
You're gtg.  I often tumble my .300BLK brass after forming/sizing/decapping/trimming from 556 to remove all the brass flakes...and the primer pockets get media in them just like yours.    Just get a straight pick and make sure the pockets and flash holes are clear.  

Making 1K rounds with pistol powder would be a mistake.  What you did...no problem.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 11:40:50 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I never advise anyone to tumble cases after they de-prime the case.  Packed primer pockets are not the worst outcome - the worst outcome is a single piece of media stuck in the flash hole. That will often lead to a failure of the primer to ignite the powder charge.

If you deprime after you tumble the decapping pin ensures there is nothing obstructing the flash hole.

In my experience, primer pockets never get dirty enough to matter, as they stay no more than one shot dirty anyway and there is no need to clean the primer pocket in a normal reloading process.  The exception for me is in precision rifle loads, but by then I'm uniforming flash holes and indexing cases so an added manual cleaning step is a non issue.  

----

As for tumbling to remove the lube, that's not necessary and I try to avoid tumbling rounds at all after they are loaded.  Just wipe them off and they'll be fine.

View Quote

I disagree completely.  As we're talking about rifle brass that requires 2 passes through your press; a case prep cycle followed by a reloading cycle, most people tumble their brass before the case prep to clean it and then again after the case prep to remove the lube and prepare the case for the reloading cycle. Tumbling lubed rifle brass after case prep is the easiest and best way to remove the lube. Further primer pockets do get progressively more dirty after a few firings and the precision guys want clean pockets for consistent seating of there matched primers.

Removing the lube is necessary as it avoids the brass picking up foreign objects on the case prior to loading all the way through to use.  A smooth case is going to seat in the firearm better than a dirty one.  If it's dirty enough, it might not seat at all.  There is a simple cheap, and completely painless way to to ensure that there isn't media stuck in the primer pocket and/or flash hole without so much as lifting a finger.  Simply use a universal decapping die in station one during your reloading cycle in place of your resizing die.  

It's sole purpose is to ensure that both the primer pocket and flash hole are not obstructed immediately prior to a primer being seated.  It's the cheapest $10 insurance against primer pocket / flash hole issues and it doesn't require you to lift a finger.

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 1:40:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

----

View Quote

I just put a Lyman Universal Depriming Die in station 1 to make sure that the flash hole is clear.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 4:35:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 4:37:09 PM EDT
[#15]
I use Lyman corn cobb media. Yes it fills some of the .223 cases but it flows right out even in the standard rotary media separator.

Yes some do stick in flash holes.

This does not bother be because this means I have to check the flash holes which means I know when I'm done all are clear.

I always tumble after prepping to remove case lube so its always going to be this way.

Motor1

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 4:42:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 4:43:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

BOTH, the primer pocket is no big deal, but the case is a pain in the a$$...I de-primed this time (i usually don't) cause I was worried about military brass......swag primer.....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, if your cases are full of media after you de-primed, they would STILL be full of media if you didn't de-prime.  The fact that there was no primer had no affect on the case filling with media.

What did you add to the media (polish).

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 6:00:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I just put a Lyman Universal Depriming Die in station 1 to make sure that the flash hole is clear.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

----

I do the same.

Cheapest place i have found for corn cob...

http://www.zoro.com/g/Blast%20Media/00054305/
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 6:59:54 PM EDT
[#19]
OP, first off, you need the right grit, as dryflash3 noted.  Too big, and you get cases full of media and not cleaned.  Second, you need to use the right media for the task your'e trying to do: ground walnut for cleaning, and ground corn cob for polishing.  Walnut is hard and has sharp edges to scour brass clean, while corn cob has soft, flat surfaces to rub brass shiny.  Corn cob, without additives, is great at removing case lube, but walnut, not so much, while walnut cleans cases great but corn cob doesn't really do the job.

Pet shop walnut bird/lizard litter is fine.  It has a fine grit and it's cheap, but in my experience, pet store corn cob litter is way too course, and it's made from whole cobs instead of the hard, woody part that's used in blasting media.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 8:15:28 PM EDT
[#20]
I guess after 40 years of reloading, my methods are somewhat streamlined.  First some observations on media.  The walnut lizard stuff works fine for general purposes, but I find it to be very dirty fast, with some nasty dust.  I won't use in the man cave due to mess.  I wear a filter face mask from the paint store, and after running a few batches thru the separator, you will find just how much dirty dust you are breathing.  Corn media cleans faster with considerably less dust, walnut seems to break down, adding to the problem.  I DO NOT clean my brass indoors anymore, far too many particulates to crud up your work space)

Here are the basic steps for loading .223 :

> Clean cases in corn media, I add a small amount of Dillon polish every other cycle.  After the brass is removed, the media is run with a used dryer sheet to remove much of the accumulated crud.

> Lay a couple hundred or more cases on a large towel, rolling around until all are laying flat (don't want lube in the case mouth)

> Spritz with Dillon or home made lube, let sit for a few, pick up the batch and poor in a bin or container.  You can do this as a prep for several thousand cases, the lanolin isn't going any where.  Store them in covered bins until ready to use.

> Size and deprime, prime, advance.( Dillon 550B )  Cycle through powder station, seating, crimp if you are so inclined, keep crankin.

> I have a tumbler with media just for removing lube(corn).  Run the loaded rounds in the new/clean corn for 15-30 minutes( 100-150 0r so clean up pretty fast), depending on the size of the batch.  I continue to load while these are running.

> Separate from media, poor cleaned, loaded rounds onto another large towel, fold over, grab each end to tumble the rounds to remove any final dust etc.  Pour into can.  Done.

Several steps are eliminated, obviously the brass was processed at some point to remove primer crimp.  I have done this for several years, using the loads in 3-Gun or Precision matches.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 8:33:04 PM EDT
[#21]
I would add, like others,using a universal die, remove primers from CLEANED cases( once fired LC ), remove crimp from primer pocket.   Do a large batch,  No need to trim yet, go directly to lubing and loading....
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 11:36:47 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

----

OP if you are loading on a progressive I suggest this. If not I have an old decapping rod from a die that I use to punch out the media in the primer pockets.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 11:44:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 12:27:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

I did the same thing. .223 brass really picks that crap up well.  I do low volume so I just pushed a pin through the primer holes as I cleaned up my mistakes.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 3:01:01 PM EDT
[#25]
When I was a kid it was my job to clean all the media out from inside the cases, primer pockets, and flash holes (poking it out with a straightened paper clip) when my dad tumbled cases.  That was such a shitty job, but I was always so excited to "help Dad reload"...
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 11:11:44 AM EDT
[#26]
Just to be the contrarian, I will suggest that you look into wet tumbling with stainless steel pins. The bling factor is amazing. There are a number of threads about building your own wet tumbler and if I managed to do it, anyone can. The nice thing about really clean brass (other than the bling) is that it is easier to see issues with the brass.

For removing case lube, I normally just wipe each loaded cartridge with a rag. Alternatively, you can run the loaded cartridges through your dry tumbler to remove the lube. The myth that it is dangerous to run loaded cartridges through a vibratory tumbler is just that, a myth.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 11:15:48 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

----

View Quote

thats why you should always have a universal decapping die on your press to make sure the flash hole is unobstructed.
it beats having to check each one myself. automation FTW
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 9:46:29 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks again, that helped alot...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top