Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/3/2015 11:57:19 AM EDT
I have been saving my brass for several years now.  I have about three, five gallon buckets almost full of 223/5.56, 308/7.62, 9mm, 45, 38, and 357.  I am not ready to start reloading just yet.  I still need to build a work bench for that.  But I would like to get this brass cleaned up and stored in some large Zip Lock bags.  I have a tumbler and media, so I am wondering if it would be best to deprime the cases before running them through the tumbler.  If so, which hand deprimer should I get.  Thanks for any help.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:58:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Leave the primers in. Media will get stuck in the flash holes and you will just have to run them through a decapper again.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 1:54:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 1:57:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Dry tumbling, leave primers in.

Wet tumbling, decap before tumbling so primer pockets get cleaned.

Dry tumbling does not clean primer pockets and the PP's will get jammed with media unless you have the "small 14-20 grit" media.

The RCBS hand primer is ok, I prefer to use a press to prime or a bench mounted primer.
View Quote

+1 except I prefer the hand primer over the press primer.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 2:18:03 PM EDT
[#4]
OP is asking about hand decapping not hand priming.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 2:45:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the info guys.  I will leave the primers in.  I appreciate the heads up.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 3:04:32 PM EDT
[#7]
I deprime with a Lee universal decapping die.

I either mount it in a press or if I want to be mobile I will use a Lee Breech Lock Hand Press.  

You still need a shell holder to use it but that allows me (over a bucket to catch the dead primers and primer dust) to watch television while I deprime.

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:57:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Just tumble and save for later if you are not getting set up to reload just yet. There is no advantage to depriming as most sizing dies will deprime and size in one opperation. My advice for now would be to just sort and tumble, save your money for the press (and needed accessory) purchase.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 11:57:54 PM EDT
[#10]
I just ordered the Harvey after seeing the thread, I'll give you feedback on it after I use it.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 2:47:38 AM EDT
[#11]
I learned about it here a while back and ordered it. I like it and think you will too.

It is good to keep a few different methods laying around for contingencies if you can.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 2:54:14 PM EDT
[#12]
I recently got the Harvey too. I like that I can sort my brass and deprime at the same time. Has saved some handling of the brass and is easier than changing shell plates.

Few things I've learned about using the Harvey Deprimer. First, primers spit out all over the place. I put my hand with the deprimer in an open box before popping out the primer. Second, crimped rifle brass is hard to pop. So I sort that as normal and deprime later on the press. I have not tried any uncrimped rifle brass yet to see how it works yet.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 7:01:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just ordered the Harvey after seeing the thread, I'll give you feedback on it after I use it.
View Quote

You'll love it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top