BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 4:14:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you didn't mount it to something thicker to give lateral support to the bottom of the press then you run the risk breaking it again.
View Quote

I believe this is true.  I believe it may have been the mounting that precipitated the failure.  It's the bolt slots aligned with the non-radiused wall transitions.  Add in the large cantilevered length, a little flexing of the mounting base (due to insufficient stiffness) and the huge leverage of the handle,...  

It looks fine for 308 but I'm surprised they work at all for 50 BMG.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 9:39:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
get new press, sell and get a dillon.
View Quote

Why would he do that?
1.  Not like Dillon's don't break.
2.  Hornady will take care of him just fine.
OP - hope you didn't smack yourself too hard when that happened and it gave way!
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 10:28:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Why would he do that?
OP - hope you didn't smack yourself too hard when that happened and it gave way!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why would he do that?

No, the press folded over when I was EXTRACTING the casing, so I was lifting the handle no pushing it down.

And so everyone knows, I believe having the wrong case lube was a main factor in the press failure, I went to wax lube from Hornady fallowing the advice of another re loader and the amount of force to size and extract was at least half as much over my spray lube.  
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 5:14:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

No, the press folded over when I was EXTRACTING the casing, so I was lifting the handle no pushing it down.

And so everyone knows, I believe having the wrong case lube was a main factor in the press failure, I went to wax lube from Hornady fallowing the advice of another re loader and the amount of force to size and extract was at least half as much over my spray lube.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why would he do that?

So, loading a .50 BMG case isn't "just like loading for 9mm only bigger," eh?  I'm not totally surprised that 50s require something other than the simple lanolin-based stuff we use for even belted magnum cases.

Glad they took care of you, but I never expected otherwise.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 9:38:52 PM EDT
[#5]
My 550 broke the same way, Wolf primers did help break it with .45acp very hard to seat.. + over 10 years or loading.

Quoted:

Why would he do that?
1.  Not like Dillon's don't break.http://www.ar15.com/forums/manageReply.html?a=quote&b=6&f=42&t=441797&r=4293890&page=3#
http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad195/gstrad/brokenDillon1.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why would he do that?
1.  Not like Dillon's don't break.http://www.ar15.com/forums/manageReply.html?a=quote&b=6&f=42&t=441797&r=4293890&page=3#
http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad195/gstrad/brokenDillon1.jpg

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top