Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/27/2015 1:13:58 AM EDT
What is the best reloading manual for the money? Specifically I want a manual that has a nice variety of 10mm loads. I have noticed that many manuals only have a very limited variety of 10mm and they seem to mostly be in the .40s&w ballpark, but I want some full power varieties.

I'll be honest I'm new to reloading and have not actually bought any equipment. I have done literally a TON of research over the last few years and I've finally decided that it's time to start reloading. However before I do anything I want a really good comprehensive manual. I have a nice wish list of reloading components in mind as far as a press, dies, scales, and all that jazz but first things first I want a really advanced manual. I do not want a basic beginners guide, those are easy to come by; I want a HUGE variety of raw load data.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 1:50:57 AM EDT
[#1]
If you're new to reloading buy the books for the information on the process of reloading, and learn what to do and what not to do. For load data most every powder manufacturer has data on their website and some bullet makers list load data as well. I'll go to those and scratch down some info and then generally Google search what I'm trying to load and see if anyone has already been there and done it. Use caution and go from there.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 3:46:08 AM EDT
[#2]
No reputable manual is going to publish loads that are above SAAMI pressure specification for the 10mm or any other cartridge.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:36:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 10:42:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you're new to reloading buy the books for the information on the process of reloading, and learn what to do and what not to do. For load data most every powder manufacturer has data on their website and some bullet makers list load data as well..
View Quote

This is the correct answer!
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 11:25:27 AM EDT
[#5]
I would start with the Lyman, Hornady, and Lee manuals for overall reloading.  Nuclear 10mm loads are not going to be published anywhere.  However, there is a lot of good info out there on some of the sights already mentioned.  With 10mm I went so far as to order back issues of Handloader from the 90's to get articles and data from when the round first gained popularity.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 11:41:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Please be aware that the ability to accurately measure chamber pressures from a given load is a very recent thing.

For example, Accurate Powders publishes very extensive load data online, and their latest data is reduced from previous editions....because using the latest, more sensitive and accurate pressure transducers, they discovered that older data was exceeding SAAMI pressure limits.

Of course, guns are designed for a safety margin well beyond the SAAMI limits, but if you need more power, use a more powerful caliber.

I stick to the most recent data available...powder manufacturers online data is readily available, and Lyman 49 dates to 2010 or so. Compare multiple sources of data!
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 11:47:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
What is the best reloading manual for the money? Specifically I want a manual that has a nice variety of 10mm loads. I have noticed that many manuals only have a very limited variety of 10mm and they seem to mostly be in the .40s&w ballpark, but I want some full power varieties.

I'll be honest I'm new to reloading and have not actually bought any equipment. I have done literally a TON of research over the last few years and I've finally decided that it's time to start reloading. However before I do anything I want a really good comprehensive manual. I have a nice wish list of reloading components in mind as far as a press, dies, scales, and all that jazz but first things first I want a really advanced manual. I do not want a basic beginners guide, those are easy to come by; I want a HUGE variety of raw load data.
View Quote

Hornady gives 1450 fps with a 155 gr. Is that hot enough?
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 2:26:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 3:11:25 PM EDT
[#9]
On my first 9mm reloads they felt hot at midrange. I don't have a chrono but noticed much more recoil than cheap white box ammo.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 6:25:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Buy a few manuals from different manufacturers. Read them and read them again. Don't just go with one.
There's more to reloading than meets the eye. Do it right it's big fun. Do it fast, you loose body parts.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 7:13:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Stop using "hot" as any reference to loading, if your looking for the fastest fps or max pressure reloading data try 800x 135gr nosler bullets and 800x start with 12gr, 13 is about max so have fun.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 9:09:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 9:06:30 PM EDT
[#13]
I have, and use several manuals.  That said, for what it is worth, Lyman doesn't make powder, bullets, brass, or primers.  I always check the Lyman manual when working up a load for anything.

Dennis
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 9:37:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

800x does not meter, but it is an incredible powder for 10mm

I personally like Longshot, still stretches out the legs on 10mm and meters better
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Stop using "hot" as any reference to loading, if your looking for the fastest fps or max pressure reloading data try 800x 135gr nosler bullets and 800x start with 12gr, 13 is about max so have fun.

800x does not meter, but it is an incredible powder for 10mm

I personally like Longshot, still stretches out the legs on 10mm and meters better

Yup. Hand weigh 800-X and use Hornady's load data. They max out a 180 grain bullet at 1250 fps but you can work up more.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 10:04:03 PM EDT
[#15]
I've hand loaded my own ammo for almost 30 years and the only case head failure i've ever experienced was with 10mm.    

I was shooting Speer published data that was half a grain below maximum and it was obviously way too hot for my gun.

Luckily my KB was in a steel handgun (S&W 1076) and the only cost to me was my pride and a $30 magazine.  

I would advise you to stick to the medium power stuff and buy a heavy 41 or 44 magnum revolver if you want to push things harder than what std pressure 10mm will do.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 11:06:46 PM EDT
[#16]
AJE has your answer.

There ads loads pushing 200 gr 1400 FPS.

When you find your data. Go slow and work up.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:56:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Don't make hot loads. (IMO) This is dumb. Go get some liberty ammo if you want fast bullets.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:47:30 AM EDT
[#18]
On the topic of reloading manuals - what are good ones to have?

I have Nosler and Speer so far.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 3:05:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 6:00:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Is there a good manual for plated bullets? Trying to find starting points for Berry's 124gr HP's in my Glock.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 6:11:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 7:59:32 PM EDT
[#22]
If you are brand new the first thing you are going to need to conquer is to make ammo that feeds and cycles your gun. Then you can think about making the hot stuff.
I load for 10mm and I am sure you can get a loading you like will be better than most factory 10mm and definitely better than .40 from published data.

Good luck

Thurman

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 7:25:00 PM EDT
[#23]
I have stated this before here in a different thread, but I'm going to say it again.  I am quite amazed at how hot some people claim to load 10mm and how much different their results are from mine. I have seen loads mentioned on other forums where people have taken 800X for example and loaded it sometimes several grains over book max and achieved velocities little different from my 800X loads that stay .2 grains below hodgdon book max with either the same bullet or ones very similar .  I have never seen those large of discrepancies before with any other caliber but 10mm.  For a while, I was starting to think my chronograph was haywire, however after shooting factory loads across it and getting numbers that coincide with the manufacturers claims, I don't believe this is true.  Case in point, I have consistently achieved 1250fps loads with a 180 grain bullet using 8.4 grains of 800X.  Yet many people claim much higher charge weights to reach that goal.  Strange the 10mm world is.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 11:38:54 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I have stated this before here in a different thread, but I'm going to say it again.  I am quite amazed at how hot some people claim to load 10mm and how much different their results are from mine. I have seen loads mentioned on other forums where people have taken 800X for example and loaded it sometimes several grains over book max and achieved velocities little different from my 800X loads that stay .2 grains below hodgdon book max with either the same bullet or ones very similar .  I have never seen those large of discrepancies before with any other caliber but 10mm.  For a while, I was starting to think my chronograph was haywire, however after shooting factory loads across it and getting numbers that coincide with the manufacturers claims, I don't believe this is true.  Case in point, I have consistently achieved 1250fps loads with a 180 grain bullet using 8.4 grains of 800X.  Yet many people claim much higher charge weights to reach that goal.  Strange the 10mm world is.
View Quote

The Hornady manual states that 10.1 grains of 800-x will achieve 1250 fps with a 180 grain bullet. However, I believe this is incorrect and this load is somewhere between 1300 and 1350 fps. I don't have a crono but when I shoot 8.7grains of Power Pistol which the Alliant manual states should be 1235 fps with a 180 grain bullet the recoil of the gun ( gen 4 G20) is significantly less than the 800-x load. The 800-x load doesn't cause any signs of excessive pressure though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top