Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/27/2015 12:42:15 AM EDT
Ok let me start off by stating I have only loaded 100  rounds total. I loaded 50 round with 125 sierra hunter pills and 8 out of the 50 would not seat tight so broke out lee factory crimp die and I could only get 3 of 8 to tighten around bullet. The other 5 still spin in case.
Could case be too short or way over sized? It was late when I finished up and had no time to pull bullets and make measurements.
Cases where purchased processed ready to load.
I loaded 17gr H110 @ 2.060aol.
Using hornady singe stage with hornady dies
Cases are annealed

Any advise is greatly appreciated
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 12:48:05 AM EDT
[#1]
No chance you have a case gauge? I have the Wilson. Works well. I have been using the Hornady die without issue. Haven't used those bullets so can't help you there. Can you try some un-annealed cases to determine if there is something going on there?

I definitely wouldn't shoot any spinning bullets.

I have used a Lee expanding die to open the case mouth more for certain bullets and found no issues with seating and Lee FCD.

Very odd. Hopefully someone can help you more. Good luck!
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 12:54:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No chance you have a case gauge? I have the Wilson. Works well. I have been using the Hornady die without issue. Haven't used those bullets so can't help you there. Can you try some un-annealed cases to determine if there is something going on there?

I definitely wouldn't shoot any spinning bullets. don't worry no chance of that

I have used a Lee expanding die to open the case mouth more for certain bullets and found no issues with seating and Lee FCD.

Very odd. Hopefully someone can help you more. Good luck!
View Quote

I didn't  think to use case gauge. Newbie mistake
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 12:56:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 1:04:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
This is you problem. Cases were not prepped properly.  

Case length should be 1.358 to 1.368.  I trim to 1.360 because I like even, easy to remember numbers.

Lube and resize you "prepped" cases and see if your neck tension is now correct. Should be.

Your load is fine, your OAL is in the ballpark, but no way to know for sure unless you name the bullet brand and bullet number.

I use Hornady dies also.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ok let me start off by stating I have only loaded 100  rounds total. I loaded 50 round with 125 sierra hunter pills and 8 out of the 50 would not seat tight so broke out lee factory crimp die and I could only get 3 of 8 to tighten around bullet. The other 5 still spin in case.
Could case be too short or way over sized? It was late when I finished up and had no time to pull bullets and make measurements.
Cases are annealed

Case length should be 1.358 to 1.368.  I trim to 1.360 because I like even, easy to remember numbers.

Lube and resize you "prepped" cases and see if your neck tension is now correct. Should be.

Your load is fine, your OAL is in the ballpark, but no way to know for sure unless you name the bullet brand and bullet number.

I use Hornady dies also.

Sierra pro hunter 2120
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:13:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I use Hornady dies also.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cases are annealed

I use Hornady dies also.

thats what i think as well. i would lube and resize all of the brass you bought as "processed and ready to load"
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 12:27:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Don't know if anyone said it or not, but the Lee FCD is NOT a substitute for properly sized

case mouths.  If the bullet isn't in there tight before you use the FCD you have to find the

problem, not bandaid it with the FCD.  Occasionally a die will be bad or have a bad expander

button which will cause your problem, or undersized bullets, but it sounds like you found the

problem here.  Re-do em and have fun shooting.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 12:51:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Don't know if anyone said it or not, but the Lee FCD is NOT a substitute for properly sized

case mouths.  If the bullet isn't in there tight before you use the FCD you have to find the

problem, not bandaid it with the FCD.  Occasionally a die will be bad or have a bad expander

button which will cause your problem, or undersized bullets, but it sounds like you found the

problem here.  Re-do em and have fun shooting.
View Quote

I agree here.  Neck tension is an important factor in chamber pressure, and a crimp does not do anything like the same thing that neck tension does.  A typical bottlenecked rifle sizing die sizes the case neck well below the final size, with the expander ball opening it up to a specific size - which should be a tiny bit smaller than the nominal diameter of the bullet used.  For example, most sizing dies for calibers that use .308" diameter bullets have .307" (or so) expanders.

I'm not saying a Lee FCD isn't a useful tool, but like makintrax73 points out, it's not a fix for loose case necks.

Pull the rounds you "had to crimp", size them, and you'll see a huge difference.  You can take the depriming pin out of your expander ball stem and just resize and expand the cases without wasting those primers or the time to redo them.  Just remember to put the pin back in before you run your next batch of cases, or you'll have a very unpleasant surprise in store for you.  
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 1:43:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Neck tension is easy to measure. Measure the case mouth outside diameter before and after seating a bullet. The difference is the amount of interference fit you have. Generally, you want a difference of 0.001" or more.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 7:53:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Thank you everyone. I checked cases with Wilson case gauge and they fit So I did what was suggested and pulled bullets resized and now they are gtg.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:23:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:28:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:07:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Glad we could help.  

And now you know why I would never buy "prepped" brass.

Best quality is when you control the whole process.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thank you everyone. I checked cases with Wilson case gauge and they fit So I did what was suggested and pulled bullets resized and now they are gtg.
Glad we could help.  

And now you know why I would never buy "prepped" brass.

Best quality is when you control the whole process.

I agree , Lessons learned.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top