Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/26/2015 8:46:16 PM EDT
Anyone here tried TrailBoss and heavies like the 220 Sierra or 230 Berger?

Wanting a nice quiet load in my boltgun.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 9:03:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I am not sure but don't think you could get enough TB in a black out case to make it work.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 9:18:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Nope.  tried it.  To get it even close to 1000fps requires a completely full case and seriously compressed charged.  I loaded some and let them sit overnight, the next day the bullets were pushed out the case.

Trail boss works great for lightweight bullets though
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 10:00:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Please give weight ranges of what you've used/seen used.
Linkage to loads similar to what you used would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 10:15:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I also have some Lapua and Sierra 155s.

If they are going slow, I would like them to have a decent BC.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 10:39:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

100gr Hornady HP/XTP                 1.615 COL      Trail Boss    4.2g               980fps          
120gr Cast Round nose with HP    1.735 COL      Trial Boss    4.2g               980fps  

Both of these are great for taking out tree rats quietly
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 1:45:49 PM EDT
[#6]
A pretty popular bullet is Hornaday's 180gr RN FB.  Hard to find at the moment.   Sitting over 10(ish) grains of TB.

A number of 30-30 type bullets can also work.  Round nose and flat based are more stable at subsonic speeds.  The required disclaimer of test multiple rounds before putting them through a can.   The personal observation of, if a bullet is going so unstable inside of 8" of baffles then it's gotta be some kind of jacked.

Just for the hell of it and because I have them and they work fine in my 300BO I've got 10 rounds of 208gr Amax sitting over 11.0 gr of TB to test out the next time I'm at the range.  I've also got 168gr Amax sitting over 8gr of TiteGroup and Clays to see how those work as well.  

Doing the 'check seating depth, fill the case to that line, weigh and then multiple by 0.85 to get your max fill' for TB isn't a bad idea.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top