Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/25/2015 11:22:43 PM EDT
I reloaded a few hundred rounds of 45 ACP over the weekend.
I'm using a new to me bullet, Xtreme 230 grain HP.
I have the Dillon case gage, an excellent tool. I gaged every round and separated them based on how they fit.
Some hardly fit at all (hourglass shape-off center bullet seat), others fit except for a bent rim.
Then I gaged them in the 2 barrels, some plunked right in and out, others needed to be pulled out.
The XD has a more generous chamber than the Series 70.
They all fired just fine with zero malfunctions in either.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 12:22:52 AM EDT
[#1]
If they fit in the gun barrel, they are good to go.  The ones that are just slightly out of spec you can try to determine the issue and either shoot them as "junk" range ammo or pull them apart.  

I have a coffee can that is full of finished rounds that just aren't quite right.  I usually shoot them up once a year in the backyard.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 1:00:31 AM EDT
[#2]
I know it's not right, but rather than buy case gauges (since I don't think about it unless I'm reloading) I use the barrel of a pistol for a case gauge. I usually gauge the first few to make sure they fit and one every here and there throughout the process. I rarely ever have feeding problems, but when I first started I did. That's why I started gauging.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 1:10:46 AM EDT
[#3]
I get it, point is if they fit the gage, they will work in anything.
And if they don't, they might also work in anything
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 6:34:58 AM EDT
[#4]
I just use the barrel/chamber I am loading for, if I am loading for multiple guns I will make sure I use the "smallest" to check rounds in. I have zero issues doing it this way.

A problem with the above method could arise if I loaded several thousand of a certain round(I don't do this for a couple reasons) and then got a different gun that was tighter, these rounds wouldn't fit. I would rather not unnecessarily size brass(not so much of a concern with pistol brass) so I don't use gages.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 11:18:31 AM EDT
[#5]
I guess I'm kind of lucky.  The Dillon .45 case gauge, Hornady dies and Lee fc die combo has been good to me.
Ran 1K 225gr flat points and 750 200gr flat points, from x-treme, through a Glock21, S&W 645 and a Colt CCG.  All fed fine and went bang.
In all three guns.  None were tight or 'odd'.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 2:06:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just use the barrel/chamber I am loading for...
View Quote

Yep!

Once upon a time, I was preparing to go to a State Championship Match.  Before I finished my reloading work, I placed every single cartridge in the chamber and attempted to close the bolt.  In the hundreds of rounds I tested, I think there was a total of three that were tight but only one on which the bolt would not close, despite having the same head stamp as the others.  

Finding that round avoided an alibi round at the match.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 6:58:41 PM EDT
[#7]
I've always used my barrels as gauges for pistol rounds with never an issue.

I did get a gauge for rifle though.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 10:46:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I guess I'm kind of lucky.  The Dillon .45 case gauge, Hornady dies and Lee fc die combo has been good to me.
Ran 1K 225gr flat points and 750 200gr flat points, from x-treme, through a Glock21, S&W 645 and a Colt CCG.  All fed fine and went bang.
In all three guns.  None were tight or 'odd'.
View Quote

+1
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top