Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/16/2014 5:39:59 AM EDT
This is what I have on order after another member suggested it to me.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NOQIFO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm just going to do 9x19 and start small first, move on to .38 Special, and eventually .45. Aside from the bullets, powder, primers, cases, and tumbler, what else do I need? What type of die set, and carbide only is what I'm told. Calipers and scale? Depriming tools or will the dies will do that?

Obviously as you can tell, I'm new, new to this and do not have a clue.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 5:57:32 AM EDT
[#1]
The Lee Classic Turret is the only way to go for beginners IMO, especially if you are doing pistol ammo. Just start with the Lee 4 piece Deluxe die sets for your calibers, and get a good powder measure, like the Lee auto measure, and digital scales to verify powder weight. Get a reloading book for the details.

Hand loaders are just going to frustrate you.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 5:59:55 AM EDT
[#2]
at the top of the reloading forum there is an entire section for tutorials read those and you will be able to reload. purchase a reloading book such as the ABCs of reloading
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 6:00:06 AM EDT
[#3]
at the top of the reloading forum there is an entire section for tutorials read those and you will be able to reload. purchase a reloading book such as the ABCs of reloading

Link Posted: 12/16/2014 7:46:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 9:15:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Lee Classic Turret is the only way to go for beginners IMO, especially if you are doing pistol ammo. Just start with the Lee 4 piece Deluxe die sets for your calibers, and get a good powder measure, like the Lee auto measure, and digital scales to verify powder weight. Get a reloading book for the details.

View Quote

This!! If you can cancel your order, I would. Do some more research then make your decision. I went with the Lee Classic turret also. You may not want the turret for some reason, but I'm sure that with more research you will want something other than the loader you posted.

I'm sure many have started with something like you posted, but man I would have been frustrated with that!

ETA: I went back and looked at the price. You aren't out much, so no biggie. Just go ahead and plan to order a press as soon as you start because you'll be hooked and want more!

I would also recommend the Lee deluxe die kit for handgun calibers, a decent beam scale, calipers, (mine from harbor freight work fine), a couple manuals and LOTS of reading. I did research for a year before I bought anything.

Also this forum is a huge resource. If you search, you'll find the answer to almost any question you may have.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 9:22:26 AM EDT
[#6]
You may need a hand primer too? I got the turret kit, which has a priming feature, but I do not see one included with the loader you posted.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 9:29:13 AM EDT
[#7]
+1 I am another that would say to NOT get the hand press.  

You will lack the leverage for doing work on larger cases and you will be balancing that on your lap or table while you work.  You would be much better served with a single stage that bolts to a bench.  You don't need the bench yet!:  You can make an adequate setup by bolting to a board or piece of plywood with a couple bolts.  C clamp it to a work surface while you work and you can put it away when you're not reloading.  

The hand press can be useful for guys who do very small amounts of hunting ammo.  It is also kind of handy if you want to work up loads on the range but you can do that with a your board mounted press and C clamps.

A good solid (cast iron) single stage press is always a good start and a useful tool.  Even if you decide to upgrade to a more complicated progressive press I recommend keeping the single stage for certain tasks.

ETA- I dig your avatar.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 9:30:21 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm going to go against the grain here and tell you to go ahead with the hand loader.

1.  It's super cheap.
2.  Every reloader should have a hand press in the shop somewhere...I do.  Comes in great for working up loads at the range, tweaking small things.
3.  You don't need a bench...which is an extra cost for a lot of new reloaders.

If you enjoy it, and want to increase production, get the more expensive press and everything that comes with that.  No need for a big sturdy bench either.  If you end up not liking it, no big loss.  You'll lose the same amount of money (or more) selling a big press used without the hassle of shipping a heavy press to someone.

Very first thing you should do though is get the ABC's of reloading and read it at least once.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 12:12:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm going to go against the grain here and tell you to go ahead with the hand loader.

1.  It's super cheap.
2.  Every reloader should have a hand press in the shop somewhere...I do.  Comes in great for working up loads at the range, tweaking small things.

If you enjoy it, and want to increase production, get the more expensive press and everything that comes with that.  No need for a big sturdy bench either.  If you end up not liking it, no big loss.  You'll lose the same amount of money (or more) selling a big press used without the hassle of shipping a heavy press to someone.

Very first thing you should do though is get the ABC's of reloading and read it at least once.
View Quote
 GSL:  I second clark's recommendation.  Since you only want to load pistol rounds at this stage, the Lee hand press will do fine, along with some 9mm and .38 Special dies from Lee.  Lee makes good equipment.  You'll want a few other tools to start, then add more tools one at a time as you progress.  For starters, get one of Lee's powder scoop kits and a Lee priming tool, the kind with a tray for the primers.  A loading block will be useful and most importantly, a copy of Lyman's latest reloading manual.  FWIW, my favorite source for Lee equipment is FS Reloading. good luck and keep asking questions. - CW

https://fsreloading.com/manufacturer/lee-precision/
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 12:40:25 PM EDT
[#10]
I agree completely.

I started with a single stage press 38 years ago, but it was the norm at the time.   Now I use my Dillon 550B or a hand press, and nothing in between, even though I still own my single stage bench mounted press.

The 550B can be used as a single stage press, as a turret press or as a progressive press, and you'll never out grow it and I'd recommend it long before I'd ever recommend a single stage bench mounted press, or a turret press.

But for just getting started, a hand press is very hard to beat.  It's inexpensive, it does't take up much space, it will handle everything you need to do, short of .50 BMG, case forming, and full length resizing of large bore magnum rifle rounds,  it is more than enough tool.

I use a hand press on small volume reloading jobs where it's not worth the time to set up my Dillon.  For example I reload .243 for a nephew, and it ends up being 20 rounds at a time, at most.  Full length resizing with a hand press is not an issue.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 12:40:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

1.  It's super cheap.

View Quote

I agree completely.

For a reloader just getting started, a hand press is very hard to beat.  It's inexpensive, it does't take up much space, it will handle everything you need to do, short of .50 BMG, case forming, and full length resizing of large bore magnum rifle rounds, it is more than enough tool.

I use a hand press on small volume reloading jobs where it's not worth the time to set up my Dillon.  For example I reload .243 for a nephew, and it ends up being 20 rounds at a time, at most.  Full length resizing with a hand press is not an issue.

Personally, I started with a single stage press 38 years ago, but it was the norm at the time and hand presses were not common.   Now I use my Dillon 550B or a hand press, and nothing in between, even though I still own my single stage bench mounted press.

The 550B can be used as a single stage press, as a turret press or as a progressive press, and you'll never out grow it and I'd recommend it long before I'd ever recommend a single stage bench mounted press, or a turret press.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 3:39:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 4:16:47 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

View Quote

+1

started on this a few months ago myself.  Great press to learn on as you can use it as a single stage, auto turret, or manual turret.  I bought the Lee classic turret kit from Amazon that came with various extras like scale, book, and some minor things like chamfer,debur tool, pocket cleaner etc...

Link Posted: 12/16/2014 4:41:35 PM EDT
[#14]
I went with the Lee Breech Lock Kit and it works just fine for me. I want to go single stage so I could could go slow and inspect every sigle round on every single step of reloading. Easy to use and loads up ammo just fine.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 5:46:38 PM EDT
[#15]
When my interest peaked regarding hand loading I was told "before you do anything READ!" I was then handed the Lyman 49th edition as mentioned above. I read the whole front portion and learned a tremendous amount of information. I highly recommend it !

Link Posted: 12/16/2014 5:55:35 PM EDT
[#16]
If non returnable the hand primer could serve to prep brass. Get a helper on it and increase production
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 9:14:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Very cheap, if you don't like it, your not out much $$.  It will go to the range with you, for what its worth.  You can always order a bench mounted press for a reasonable price for handgun reloading if you decide to.

Aside from resizing, sometimes the force needed to properly seat a primer can be a lot.  Good fitting primers and primer pockets can be hit and miss these days.  The cheaper hand prime tools can struggle to achieve decent leverage to get a good seat, and the hand can get very sore.

Sometimes you can mitigate this by cleaning, reaming or uniforming the pockets with appropriate prep tools, but not always.  This tool may give you better leverage in priming than a cheaper hand primer, not sure.  You may never have a problem, or not a significant problem, with this or a hand primer.  Just a possible issue to be aware of.

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 4:35:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
 GSL:  I second clark's recommendation.  Since you only want to load pistol rounds at this stage, the Lee hand press will do fine, along with some 9mm and .38 Special dies from Lee.  Lee makes good equipment.  You'll want a few other tools to start, then add more tools one at a time as you progress.  For starters, get one of Lee's powder scoop kits and a Lee priming tool, the kind with a tray for the primers.  A loading block will be useful and most importantly, a copy of Lyman's latest reloading manual.  FWIW, my favorite source for Lee equipment is FS Reloading. good luck and keep asking questions. - CW

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

1.  It's super cheap.

A local member who has become a good friend had a talk to me about it today. He saw the potential as a case prepping tool, and offered me the use of his single stage at his house when it's go time for the bullets and powder, which is nice. A neighbor gave me a sliver of primers, CCI small pistol. A friend is sending me 1k's worth more of primer's, a scale, a powder cup, and constantly told me to get a carbide die set.

Met one of the LGS owners at BK tonight by accident, and he told me to come down and talk to him after we had a lengthy discussion on the topic.

I'm thinking having this and no space for a better press will give me time to get experienced, and to start making a list of things I'd like to improve upon for when we do get the house later on down the road.

Don't be afraid to tell me if I'm going about this wrong, fellas. You can only make be more aware and so I welcome it.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 10:02:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's what I did except got a good scale.  Dillon Eliminator beam scale.  Worth being safe!  Kempf was good to me on their package fyi.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 11:00:11 PM EDT
[#20]
I started out 30 years ago on RCBS Rockchucker. I still use this press today for various things like pulling bullets.  I am using it now to size 357 Sig cases with a 40 S&W carbide die so I don't have to lube the cases.
I don't have a carbide Sig die yet so the cases have to be lubed. It comes in handy. I have grown up to 4 Dillion 550B's and load mostly pistol now. Good luck. Read and ask questions!
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 11:50:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I started out 30 years ago on RCBS Rockchucker. I still use this press today for various things like pulling bullets.  I am using it now to size 357 Sig cases with a 40 S&W carbide die so I don't have to lube the cases.
I don't have a carbide Sig die yet so the cases have to be lubed. It comes in handy. I have grown up to 4 Dillion 550B's and load mostly pistol now. Good luck. Read and ask questions!
View Quote

How does that work?  Do you have good neck tension ?   I thought the shoulders needed to be set back a little.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 12:03:19 AM EDT
[#22]
I love my lee hand press.

I first started reloading with it, I was loading .308 and it worked great!

I now use a regular bench mounted rcbs press a buddy gave me for sizing and flaring but I still use the hand press to seat my bullets.

You get a good feel for neck tension and crimp with the hand press.

It's super cheap, works well, portable.... There's no reason not to have one even if you have other presses.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 1:25:05 AM EDT
[#23]
I find those lee hand presses on the used loading shelf for $15 - 20
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 1:48:00 AM EDT
[#24]
Not a big fan of the hand press.  A good single stage would be better and not much more money.  Get a good book to start out.  Also, I suggest you get a scale to measure your loads.  I don't recall seeing it listed.  If it was then ok.  If you can't pop for a good scale, lots of starters us the Lee powder scoop kit as an alternative.  It works decent for target ammo but it isn't all that precise so if you are looking for the best accuracy get a good scale.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:11:05 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

How does that work?  Do you have good neck tension ?   I thought the shoulders needed to be set back a little.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I size the neck with the non carbide 357 die in the 550 when I start loading. The 40 die just sizes the case. Sorry I didn't explain that better.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 1:12:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Just some notes I've compiled after decapping 500 plus pieces of 9x19 brass...

1. Man, my arms are sore but that sure was therapeutic in nature.

2. I'm hungry for more brass right now, this may be addictive.

3. I'm already planning and researching a turret press, or at least a single press for the future.

4. Need audio books to listen to while doing this.

5. I think I may need more decapping pins, because I plan on eventually moving on to .38 special and .45 ACP.

Question, besides a book on recipes, is there a change in die with the .45 ACP in regards to loading .45 Super? I have 500 cases on order, and I know the only difference case-wise is the thickness of the walls.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top