Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/15/2014 10:46:17 AM EDT
Here is a video of me loading up and shooting some wax bullets for Cowboy Action practice.

I'm loving being able to shoot in my backyard for next to no money!  Great fun and good practice.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuXmScQ3AIE[/youtube]
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 12:22:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Great video thanks for posting.

V
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 1:51:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I never thought of wax.

I've been told that foam ear plugs stuffed into a primed .357 case (no powder) work well, but I hadn't thought of wax. Must give that a try.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 2:06:00 PM EDT
[#3]
My friend and I played around with using wax in a 9mm cartridge with just a primer.  Goes thru a cardboard box.  
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 2:29:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My friend and I played around with using wax in a 9mm cartridge with just a primer.  Goes thru a cardboard box.  
View Quote

I've seen a living room set for shooting those in the house.
Probably not the best idea.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 3:33:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Video wont play for me.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 5:30:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Won't play for me either.
Message is "An error occurred during validation".
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 6:05:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Just tried it again, worked for me.

V
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 4:45:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Very nice video. Good info. I used to use the Speer plastic bullets for practice in my garage and around the yard. Then came the primer shortage. Now that things seem almost back to normal. I have been thinking of something like this again.

How is the build up in your barrel on these bullets?
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 10:30:28 AM EDT
[#9]
I've fired about 50 of these so far with no noticeable build-up.  These bullets feel more like plastic than wax.  They aren't soft and leave WAY less residue than parafin, beeswax, or candle wax.  I've recovered a bunch of the ones I shot and unless they hit something hard, they don't hardly change shape and I can even re-use them.

To me, it is WELL worth the $32 to buy the commercial stuff instead of making my own.  Less hassle and mess alone is worth it to me.

PS - Anyone know how I can get the YouTube video to actually embed in the post and not just be a stupid looking link?
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 2:22:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Great idea.

Link Posted: 12/16/2014 2:53:56 PM EDT
[#11]

Link Posted: 12/16/2014 3:23:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:40:11 PM EDT
[#13]
I'll hook a brother up...

Quoted:
I've fired about 50 of these so far with no noticeable build-up.  These bullets feel more like plastic than wax.  They aren't soft and leave WAY less residue than parafin, beeswax, or candle wax.  I've recovered a bunch of the ones I shot and unless they hit something hard, they don't hardly change shape and I can even re-use them.

To me, it is WELL worth the $32 to buy the commercial stuff instead of making my own.  Less hassle and mess alone is worth it to me.

PS - Anyone know how I can get the YouTube video to actually embed in the post and not just be a stupid looking link?
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:21:33 AM EDT
[#14]

Welcome to ARFCOM - Interesting first post

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:38:22 AM EDT
[#15]
It might be a bad idea, but I've been thinking about loading a bit of powder behind the wax bullet.

There really is no need, but since powder is so cheap and plentiful, why not give it a try, right?

Seriously though, I'm going to try loading a grain or so behind the wax and see what happens.  Tell me now if that's a really bad idea!
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 1:59:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks, great info
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 4:46:38 AM EDT
[#17]
I wrote this one up about two years ago on wax bullets for the forum.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_42/386806_Wax_Bullets__a_continuation_from_one_of_my_posts_.html
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 8:16:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Great first post.

I will try embedding your video

Hmann  - you have to remove the "s" in the https, so you end up with just "http" in youtube videos for them to display properly.

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 12:32:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
It might be a bad idea, but I've been thinking about loading a bit of powder behind the wax bullet.

There really is no need, but since powder is so cheap and plentiful, why not give it a try, right?

Seriously though, I'm going to try loading a grain or so behind the wax and see what happens.  Tell me now if that's a really bad idea!
View Quote

Bill Jordan wrote about this 50 years ago in No Second Place Winner. Not recommended. The wax bullets don't grip the rifling and "squirt" out of the barrel, not very accurately.

I was satisfied to use just a primer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top