Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/21/2014 10:57:43 AM EDT
So im new to trimming and reloading in general. Today I was trimming my .308's to 2.005ish which is what it calls for, but i have some brass that is 1.996ish. Is it ok to still use the shorter-than-called-for brass? Whats typically the stopping point? Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 11:05:15 AM EDT
[#1]
I would use it @ that length.  Not sure what a "too short" point is, I've never had that issue.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 11:09:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Yea I picked up a bag of "once-fired brass" some are that length, so not sure quite what to do.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 11:16:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Wade your way through this link to P.72 for SAMMI .308 case specs.
It's page 72 of the PDF, but the page stated in the manual itself is page 66.

2.025" is spec'd as case max, and no min. is given.
I'd say that what the OP has is good to go with the only issue being how the neck is crimped due to varying length.

http://www.saami.org/specifications_and_information/publications/download/206.pdf
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 11:27:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'd say that what the OP has is good to go with the only issue being how the neck is crimped due to varying length.

http://www.saami.org/specifications_and_information/publications/download/206.pdf
View Quote

Sorry "OP"? Not internet savvy.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 11:34:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You, the original poster..
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 11:46:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Ok great! Happy I can still use these cases then.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 12:01:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

I routinely used to trim .308 tp 2.000" without problems. 1.996" is .0009" shorter than recommended but hardly a problem. Don't worry, they'll get longer after they've been fired some more. I'm currently using 2.005" because my Giraud is so easy to use it's quicker to trim than to measure.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 12:26:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I routinely used to trim .308 tp 2.000" without problems. 1.996" is .0009" shorter than recommended but hardly a problem. Don't worry, they'll get longer after they've been fired some more. I'm currently using 2.005" because my Giraud is so easy to use it's quicker to trim than to measure.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok, yea just want to be sure I am doing this right.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 6:26:05 PM EDT
[#9]
FWIW - A while back I bought a brand new box of Nosler brass, took it home and started to process it. Most of the pieces were under 2.000". They have all been fired 14 times and most of them are still under 2.000" and they actually work well - good brass.

Danny
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 11:34:16 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't know if this post has typo's or just "off" info.

Every data source I've ever seen has the max case length for a .308 Win. as 2.015" (not 2.025")

Yes the recommended trim length is 2.005"

The OP's brass at 1.996" is not .0009" (which is 9 / 10,000) under it is .009" under which is 10 times more.

Regardless, at 1.996" it should be fine as far as neck tension goes.

OP, How are you sizing the brass, full length? Are you measuring the length before or after sizing?

You should trim your brass after re-sizing it not before because its the re-sizing that makes it grow in length. Another reason to trim after sizing is the amount of growth is not consistent from one case to another. If you trim after sizing they will all be the same, well at least all of them that got trimmed anyway.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 9:31:11 AM EDT
[#11]
I know plenty of folks who trim to the length of once fired brass from their favorite maker (WW for example) and make all brass match that length.  I learned it years ago and keep an example marked for each of my calibers.  I use them to set the trimmer and just go for it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top