Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/20/2014 10:03:09 PM EDT
Hello gents. I couldn't talk my mom out of buying a ruger lcr in .38 and .357. She and I both think the sites suck but the trigger ir really nice. Now we have a bit of trouble. With Federal 110gr hydra shocks she can shoot minute of pie plate at 5 yards. With 125gr factory loads the recoil is way too much for her and after 10rnds she has to stop shooting. And to be honest it's a bit too snappy for me too about a few cylinders.

So, I'm looking for a soft recoil load for .38 special. I have some CFE pistol and IMR 4227 that I have read can be used for .38 but is supposed to be filthy. So what powders and bullet weights should I look at? Am I stupid for thinking lower fps with a higher weight bullet will equal less felt recoil? I'm a reloading new but I have $$ to spend. Could someone please point me to some reading or load data to consider?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 11:11:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 11:27:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
IMR 4227 is a bit too slow burning for 38 Special.

I have not used CFE pistol yet.

What I use for a light recoiling 38 Special load is a 148 gr wadcutter (I use the swaged Hornaday's) with 2.7 grs of Bullseye.

It's a classic 38 Special target load and real light on recoil.

Wear a shooting glove when you shoot the Ruger, it will also make a difference.

<a href="http://s250.photobucket.com/user/dryflash3/media/Ammo/PC270397.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg272/dryflash3/Ammo/PC270397.jpg</a>

Second from the right, next to the shotshell.
View Quote

What considerations if any are there when loading wadcutters? Pistol powder is slim around here and data on CFE is slim, would a low fps hit grn bullet load with IMR 4227 result in lower recoil? I'm trying get a feeling for an fps to bullet weight ratio.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 11:44:11 PM EDT
[#3]

My wife has the same problem with recoil in her 38SPL
until I made a lite load for her, it is-

38SPL
102gr REM HP   (380ACP bullet)
5.2gr Win. 231
CCI # 500 primer
1.450 COAL

the 102gr Rem. HP is for a 380 ACP and is .356, 38SPL is .357 but it works good
the 380 bullets use a taper crimp not a roll crimp
I called RCBS and purchased a taper crimp die for 38SPL
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 12:19:17 AM EDT
[#4]
I used 3.5 gr. of Bullseye with a 148gr semi wad cutter.  It slings that bullet out there to a scorching 725 FPS.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 12:44:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 12:48:31 AM EDT
[#6]
I would suggest using round nose bullets because they are much easier to reload with, especially so when using Speedloaders.  The 12 gr bullets are plentiful and with a light powder charge, will yield mild recoil.

Use 357 cases whenever you can.  You don't want to use 38 SPL cases and flame cut or build a carbon ring on the cylinder walls, or both.  The flame cutting is irreversible.  The carbon ring is a bear to remove and interferes with a 357 case..
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 12:53:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Try Trail Boss powder. It is my powder puff powder for 38, 357, 44, 30-30 and 45-70.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 12:58:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Again IMR 4227 is too slow burning (it's a magnum powder) for 38 Special. As in won't work. You probably have a lot of it and want to use it bad I know.    

Part in blue, not sure what you mean.

The load I referenced is around 750 fps, and has low recoil.

Do you have any reloading manuals, so I can point out some loads?

eta, the difference with loading WC's is they use light charges and are seated close to flush with the end of the case.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/287589/hornady-bullets-38-caliber-358-diameter-148-grain-lead-hollow-base-wadcutter-box-of-250?cm_vc=ProductFinding

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
IMR 4227 is a bit too slow burning for 38 Special.

I have not used CFE pistol yet.

What I use for a light recoiling 38 Special load is a 148 gr wadcutter (I use the swaged Hornaday's) with 2.7 grs of Bullseye.

It's a classic 38 Special target load and real light on recoil.

Wear a shooting glove when you shoot the Ruger, it will also make a difference.

<a href="http://s250.photobucket.com/user/dryflash3/media/Ammo/PC270397.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg272/dryflash3/Ammo/PC270397.jpg</a>

Second from the right, next to the shotshell.

What considerations if any are there when loading wadcutters? Pistol powder is slim around here and data on CFE is slim, would a low fps hit grn bullet load with IMR 4227 result in lower recoil? I'm trying get a feeling for an fps to bullet weight ratio.
Again IMR 4227 is too slow burning (it's a magnum powder) for 38 Special. As in won't work. You probably have a lot of it and want to use it bad I know.    

Part in blue, not sure what you mean.

The load I referenced is around 750 fps, and has low recoil.

Do you have any reloading manuals, so I can point out some loads?

eta, the difference with loading WC's is they use light charges and are seated close to flush with the end of the case.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/287589/hornady-bullets-38-caliber-358-diameter-148-grain-lead-hollow-base-wadcutter-box-of-250?cm_vc=ProductFinding

Sorry type O I meant to say low fps hi grain bullet. I'm not sure how energy at the muzzle in feet per second translate to felt recoil. From the loads I have been looking at a larger grain bullet seems to load at a smaller fps at the muzzle.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 9:42:59 AM EDT
[#9]
I don't think that there are specific loads that are a magic bullet for the OP's request.
All you need to do is to load at the bottom of any .38cal recipe with whatever powder is specified and you should be good to go.

I shoot .357 lots, and like the OP's mom, I get tired with magnum loads after a bit. I like to shoot a lot, so all I do is load at the bottom of any of the recipes listed and the .357 is tamed down just the way I like it.

If any light loading of a .38 is too much for mom, then it might be time to get here a .32 and go from there.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 10:53:35 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm using the middle of the road load of the Lee reloading guide with this recipe:

158 grain lead round nose
3.5 grains HP-38 / W231
S&B small Pistol Primer
Range pick up brass

Lee says that HP-38 / W231 should use between 3.1-3.7 grains on the 158 grain lead projectile.

Also, the American Eagle (red box with the eagle) 158 grain LRN is one one of the softest shooting rounds I have shot from my revolver (S&W 586 4 inch).  That might be an option for her too.  The box says it's only pushing about 770 FPS, but I haven't chrono'd it to verify.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 11:33:57 AM EDT
[#11]
You need a faster burning for the best reduced loads. Can she handle standard .38 wadcutter target loads?

Link Posted: 11/21/2014 12:03:19 PM EDT
[#12]
My experience with light weight .38 Special fixed sights handguns, even light loads are not pleasant for my wife to shoot. Compact short barreled .38/357 handguns are not plinking guns. If you want something just to plink with then get a .22 rimfire. I've tried 148 wadcutter, 110 and 125 grain jacketed all with lighter charges of fast burning AA#2 powder and my wife still complains. She's slender and older so a younger lady might not find it as bad. To load .38's to self-defense levels or for factory 38's or +P loads it's much too hard kicking for my wife. Plus the fixed sights and different weight bullets and high and low velocities the point of impact will vary 8" or more at 20 yards. Probably ok for short 7 yards or so targets. The wife gets aggravated testing loads that one shoots very high or low or wide right or left. Finding a load that shoots where the sights are aligned with the target isn't easy for fixed sight short barrel .38's. I try to remind her it's a close range defense gun and not a gun to shoot a lot at targets. I remind her that she needs to just get used to shooting a few self-defense level loads and her pistol isn't for plinking. The best powder I've tested for .38 Special by far has been Accurate Arms AA#2 or Winchester 231 and mainly 110 and 125 grain jacketed hollowpoint bullets.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 12:10:13 PM EDT
[#13]
I have used 2.6 grains of TiteGroup under 148 grain wadcutters and it burns cleaner than Bullseye and is very accurate. Recoil is minimal. 148 grain wadcutters are designed for target shooting and should be run around 700 to 750 fps with small charges of fast burning powder. WW-231, Bulleye, TiteGroup, HP-38 all work well. Unique is dirty but can work well in a pinch. Bullseye is very accurate but is dirty.

IMR-4227 is a magnum pistol powder best used in full power .357 Magnum and full power .44 Magnum loads. Even with a full case you won't get good powder ignition or velocity in .38 Special.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 12:58:57 PM EDT
[#14]
A tiny, lightweight 38 revolver is always going to hurt when you're shooting hard-hitting fast/heavy bullets.

An inverted hollow-base wadcutter over a low charge is an easy-shooting cartridge for snub-nose ranges.

Inverted 148 lead semi wad cutter on right in photo below.

Remember, for your Mom (or anyone else) it doesn't matter how fast or how heavy the bullet is when you're at close range and facing a deadly threat...
only hits count (preferably in the center).

If she can't practice it won't help much.  Proficiency comes with repetition.  A flinch is counterproductive.

Link Posted: 11/21/2014 5:28:34 PM EDT
[#15]
There is a real "trick" imbedded in this thread.  

We can advise on how to best meet the OP's needs, however, if he cannot find the components suggested it is all in vain.  

So, to those posting in the thread, I ask, is there a source of available supply for the components you are recommending?
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 5:46:19 PM EDT
[#16]
For pistol powder, recently -- nope.

06-27-2013, 10:02 PM
gwpercle
Liked 356 Times in 239 Posts

Terry Wieland has done a nice story on this very subject, "Self-Defense Loads in a Time of Drought," Aug. 2013 issue Handloader Magazine. Tested 38 special , inverted hollow base wadcutter, in a J-frame S&W, 2 inch barrel, velocities chronographed as fired from the 2 in. barrel, bullets were fired into a box of packed newsprint (not stated if paper was wet or dry) assuming dry newsprint, at 5 yards.

Results, all loads using Bullseye powder and 148 hbwc ( no brand given )

3.2 grs. 724 fps -no expansion
3.3 grs. 740 fps - slight expansion
3.4 grs 767 fps - expanded to 5/8 inch dia.
3.5 fps 801 fps -good mushroom, .715 inch dia. retained weight 144 grains....THE WINNER

No mention was made of accuracy but he shot them all into a bullet box at 5 yards. no mention of keyholing either.
I was glad to see this article, I wanted to try this and after reading all my books and etc. , I came to the assumption that 2.8 grs. of Bullseye would give me 810 fps, and it might in a 6 inch barrel, but this information proves 3.5 grains is what is needed. At least I had the 800 fps velocity right.

I got Bullseye now the HBWC quest is on. I've been looking on local dealer's shelves, but no luck so far.

Gary
View Quote
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top