Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/20/2014 7:19:50 PM EDT
I have a 650 for 9mm and 223. Its easy to cal change because I don't have to change the primer size.

I am picking up a 45 and will want to reload. I was wondering if I should get a square deal or a cal conversion with a complete large primer assembly.

The benefit for the 650 is the case feeder.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 7:46:00 PM EDT
[#1]
650 conversion

changing from small to large primers is no biggie.

The square deal is a goofy little press that only takes proprietary dies
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 7:51:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Why not use the 650 and hunt out small primed .45 ??  Cal. conversion a lot cheaper than a B.

I actually have done this with a square B.

The B is kinda small compared to other progressives though. If you have big hands/fat fingers, I think it could be a little bit of a challenge.

I do like my B as it doesn't take up a lot of room on the bench and as you know, it has the "blue" quality through and through.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 7:52:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 8:07:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why not use the 650 and hunt out small primed .45 ??  ...
View Quote

because small primered 45ACP is the fucking devil incarnate
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 9:42:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why not use the 650 and hunt out small primed .45 ??  ...

At least the saving grace of the small primer is that you don't have to worry about smashing primers when you hit the other type of primer pocket..
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 11:19:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 11:54:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Well lots of people want to trade small primer pocket 45 ACP so....45 ACP lasts for ever nearly so
A Primer system is 80 bucks or so.plus conversion and dies still cheaper then whole new SDB
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 12:29:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Spend the $81 to get another primer system so that all you have to do is swap it and the ram rather than taking it apart and swapping out the parts to go from small to large primer.  Then you can get any caliber you want and changes take only about 7-8 minutes.  My XL650 does 13 calibers, 6 pistol (both small and large primer) and 7 rifle (again both small and large primer) and it's hands down a bargain with the casefeeder.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 1:18:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 8:51:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Spend the $81 to get another primer system so that all you have to do is swap it and the ram rather than taking it apart and swapping out the parts to go from small to large primer.  Then you can get any caliber you want and changes take only about 7-8 minutes.  My XL650 does 13 calibers, 6 pistol (both small and large primer) and 7 rifle (again both small and large primer) and it's hands down a bargain with the casefeeder.
View Quote

+1
This is what I do
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 10:43:14 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm in the same boat as you, OP,  I load a ton of small primer sized cartridges on the 650.  45ACP is the only large pistol cartridge I reload for.  It takes all of about 5 minutes to change the primer system from small to large, just using the stock parts.  It's going to take you 4 minutes even if you have a 2nd assembly.  Changing the primer seater underneath the shell plate is the real pain, replacing the carrier disk is a snap.  Save your $81 and buy some components.  I usually only load 100-200 cartridges at a time, but when I need 45, I load up considerably more than that just so I'm not changing the primer system all the time.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 11:25:31 AM EDT
[#12]
If you don't have one, spend your money on a Casefeeder for your XL650 rather than a Square Deal.  A Square Deal can't do rifle calibers, has proprietary dies that don't fit any other press made, and doesn't have a Casefeeder.  Once you try one, you'll really wish you had a casefeeder for all your calibers as it really makes reloading a breeze. Besides, your XL650 is hands down a better press than the Square Deal and besides rifle calibers, it works better on larger pistol calibers such as 45acp and 45colt as the mechanical advantage of the longer lever and bigger machine makes sizing those larger cases easier.
Another reason to add a second primer system to your XL650 rather than
getting a Square Deal is that now you only reload X calibers, however,
as time goes by, you'll add more.  How do I know?  I started with
a Dillon 550B reloading 40s&w and .223 and thought that was all I would ever want to do.  Before I knew it, I'd added 45acp, then 10mm, and then the dam broke.  I realized that a XL650 with Casefeeder would be better for me so I sold my 550B and got one.  That was 10 years ago and now I load 13
different calibers, 6 pistol and 7 rifle including a recently added 300 Savage due to the fact I found a beautiful 1949 Savage 99 last month that followed me home.  
You may start small but over time your setup will grow. As I said, I started with my 550B but soon things started to expand.

I've produced over 170,000rds of ammo on this bench and I never thought I'd do anything like that many calibers.  Who knows, if I find a deal on a nice 45-70 I might just make it 14 calibers.

Link Posted: 11/21/2014 11:43:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Yep....the 650 can feed M1 Garands, AR-10's M-14 clones, 6.8mmSPC., etc too

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top