Link Posted: 11/17/2014 9:59:55 PM EDT
[#1]
meters great in my Dillon measures , ball but not as fine as my smp844
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 10:17:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Ok man thank you.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 10:54:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I wouldn't call it ball, it is listed as tubular.

It looks like about 1/5 stick if that makes any sense. But like angus said, it meters fine (like ball).

Here is the forensic information.

http://www.ilrc.ucf.edu/powders/sample_detail.php?powder_id=112

Link Posted: 11/17/2014 11:05:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Ok thank you.
I am ordering stuff to build a 300blk and will have my powder before mygun parts
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 11:39:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ok thank you.
I am ordering stuff to build a 300blk and will have my powder before mygun parts
View Quote

That's a good thing. I went back to NC (my true home) and visited all my local guns shops. No one had blk powder. Checked all the BPS along my trip, nothing...

Finally ended up driving about 1.5 hrs out of my way to pick up 2lbs of 4227. Glad I did. I've had the most difficult time finding it, or any blk powder for that matter.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 11:58:32 PM EDT
[#6]
I've got some other powder I can use , but it is my favorite pistol powder
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 2:56:39 PM EDT
[#7]
IMR-4227 has been very accurate for me in .41 Magnum. It has a relatively narrow range of useable powder charges and can't drive a bullet as fast as H110/WW-296 but it works for me. I've even used it for 950 fps 215 grain SWC lead loads (15.5 grains) which is probably too light for such a slow burning pistol powder. Accuracy was better than most.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 10:04:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

It looks like about 1/5 stick if that makes any sense. But like angus said, it meters fine (like ball).

View Quote

Thanks for that link.... it's a great resource.

It got me comparing powders and burn rates:
https://www.hodgdon.com/burn-rate.html

Jack
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 10:23:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

That's a good thing. I went back to NC (my true home) and visited all my local guns shops. No one had blk powder. Checked all the BPS along my trip, nothing...

Finally ended up driving about 1.5 hrs out of my way to pick up 2lbs of 4227. Glad I did. I've had the most difficult time finding it, or any blk powder for that matter.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ok thank you.

How much a pound was it.
I found it for 30 a pound
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 10:24:42 PM EDT
[#10]
short sticks.
Generally meters better than long sticks.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 1:55:01 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

http://www.ilrc.ucf.edu/powders/documents/powder%2000000112/Powder_0000112.jpg
View Quote

That stuff was still a little gooey when they extruded and cut it, lots of smeared pieces.

Link Posted: 11/19/2014 8:36:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

How much a pound was it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ok thank you.

How much a pound was it.

That is exactly what I paid for it, I think $61 for both pounds after tax.

I was thrilled. I have it on backorder from Midsouth and it comes out to $34/lb to buy 2 pounds.. I usually order in bulk (I have paid as little as $19/lb ordering 8lb tubs in bulk), but this was the only powder I needed.

I am headed back to NC to visit family over thanksgiving, might pick me up some more :)
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 3:45:02 PM EDT
[#13]
I used it when I had a 22 Hornet, metered fairly easy and was very accurate with a 40gr Nosler.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 10:29:22 PM EDT
[#14]
So far my most accurate loads in 300 Blk have been with IMR 4227 and 150 gr Hornady interlocks. 16.7 gr and CCI 400 primers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top