Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/16/2014 4:54:23 PM EDT
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 5:01:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Is the inside of drum a polymer? Was it left in storage room or garage all summer? Might be breaking down from heat
I would recommend more dawn, not anymore lemishine. Try a few more small batches. Likely the drum will cleanse itself of an outer bad layer.

I only say this from experience with my FA drum. ;) But my film was more black in color.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 5:17:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 5:50:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Too much lemi-shine will leave a dull color.

I've let my pins sit for weeks and never had this problem. Same tumbler. My pins are from stainlesstumblingmedia.com.

I'd run just the pins and dawn to clean things up and try again with less lemi-shine.

Link Posted: 11/16/2014 6:04:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not poly just the hard rubber that they use. The drums were not stored in a hot location either not just sitting in my living room. Not sure if this will eventually wash out or not.
View Quote

rubber, poly, whatever . All break down with heat. But as other poster said, too much lemi not great. If you are cleaning post lube/size, I let my brass soak in dawn/water first to get bulk of lube off first (unless I am rushed).
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 7:35:38 PM EDT
[#5]
My guess is that you did not remove lube from your brass.

V
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 8:08:28 PM EDT
[#6]
when is the last time you cleaned your pins? Dont laugh...they get dirty too. Run a load with no brass and some dawn, bet the water will come out black and then you will be back to nice clean brass.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 8:55:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 10:00:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Here's what I've been doing lately.
Clean your pins as suggested above.
I have a FA wet tumbler.
Run 1 hour in Dawn and pins, dump the water and replace with fresh
Add car wash and wax soap and 1/4 teaspoon lemi-shine
Run additional 1-2 hours
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 10:05:07 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm with Vinny. Did you leave lube on before cleaning?
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 10:59:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 11:22:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Too much lemi-shine will leave a dull color.

I've let my pins sit for weeks and never had this problem. Same tumbler. My pins are from stainlesstumblingmedia.com.

I'd run just the pins and dawn to clean things up and try again with less lemi-shine.

View Quote

This!!!

Too much Lemishine.  I've not cleaned my pins in 2+ years.  Not had ANY issues unless too much Lemishine was involved.  You will get far better results using less Lemishine than more.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 10:53:58 AM EDT
[#12]
How much Lemishine are you using?

The SSM folks recommend 1/4 tsp, but that seems to be too much.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 11:13:31 AM EDT
[#13]
I use one 45 caliber casing, of course it depends on how big your tumbling drum is. My drum is about14" long and 6" in diameter. IMHO you really have to use a lot of Lemishine for the results to be negative. Also the theory of the pins getting dirty IMHO does not make sense. Why if you use Dawn or any other detergent to tumble would your brass come clean but your pins would not? I have used the same pins for over a year and have never cleaned them.

V
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 6:28:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 6:31:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 7:35:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 8:21:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Just got back from work, I use 1/2 of a 9mm case of lemishine per drum per cleaning cycle.
View Quote

As said above, the minerals in your water dictate how much lemi-shine you need. I use, literally, what I can pinch between finger and thumb. It's really very little. But it works for me.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 9:45:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

As said above, the minerals in your water dictate how much lemi-shine you need. I use, literally, what I can pinch between finger and thumb. It's really very little. But it works for me.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just got back from work, I use 1/2 of a 9mm case of lemishine per drum per cleaning cycle.

Precisely, again...  There is NO set recipe on how much Lemishine to use.  Always best to start with the smallest amount that gets them to the "tint" of shiney that you want.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 11:48:18 PM EDT
[#19]
I use 1/2 tsp per gallon of water and it shines them up very bright!
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 6:30:47 AM EDT
[#20]
I see this occasionally, it's most noticeable with nickle plated cases. It may be due to insufficient Dawn. I think the pins do get dirty as well. Put your hand in them and you'll see what I mean.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 7:02:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 11:19:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 11:19:51 AM EDT
[#23]
If your worried about the drums on the HF unit, just replace with 4" PVC pipe.  Use a plug on one end, and a pressure test plug on the other.  My buddy had to do this, as his drums got flakey after awhile.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 7:38:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 9:37:20 PM EDT
[#25]
I use 15cc of lemishine with 7lbs of water, just shy of 1 gallon.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 1:28:56 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 1:18:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 12:11:27 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 2:22:42 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 10:20:53 AM EDT
[#30]
I think I know why one of your drums is cleaning better than the other. I too have a HF tumbler and noticed early on that the plastic tab that keeps the drums from running into the ends of the metal frame didn't do its job well. If there isn't something to keep your drum from hitting the side of the metal frame then you will have circular scratch marks on the top of your aluminum lids. I simply put a small piece of plywood against the wall and shoved the HF tumbler up against it. That way the plastic nut will hit it and keep the drum from scraping on the metal frame. If you need pics I can provide some.

Long story short... I bet one of your drums is not turning as much as the other one. That's why one of the drums brass isn't as clean.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 6:02:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 10:30:24 PM EDT
[#32]
If that PVC cement does not hold (it should), use JB Weld it will never come loose. A while ago someone posted that using JB Weld will turn your brass black because JB Weld contains metal. This is FALSE, there is no metal in JB Weld.

V
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 11:22:31 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
If that PVC cement does not hold (it should), use JB Weld it will never come loose. A while ago someone posted that using JB Weld will turn your brass black because JB Weld contains metal. This is FALSE, there is no metal in JB Weld.

V
View Quote

i made the mistake of using JB weld in a tumbler. it does turn black.  i also placed a cured bunch of JB weld from the mixing tray next to a neodymium magnet, and they did attract.

also the stainless pins can gain magnetism if you use a magnet to transfer. any metal particles that adhere to magnetized pins will be in the drum when washed.

Link Posted: 12/15/2014 9:28:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
i made the mistake of using JB weld in a tumbler. it does turn black.  i also placed a cured bunch of JB weld from the mixing tray next to a neodymium magnet, and they did attract.

also the stainless pins can gain magnetism if you use a magnet to transfer. any metal particles that adhere to magnetized pins will be in the drum when washed.

View Quote

I have two PVC drums that the agitators are secured with JB Weld they have been in operation for over six months with no problems. The JB Weld website states that there is no metal in their product and in fact it is listed as an insulator.

V
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 6:53:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I have two PVC drums that the agitators are secured with JB Weld they have been in operation for over six months with no problems. The JB Weld website states that there is no metal in their product and in fact it is listed as an insulator.

V
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

V

There is something magnetic in it.

Here is some t had left on a toothpick when I mixed some up the other day

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 10:05:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Beats me.

V
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 10:24:13 PM EDT
[#37]
I stand corrected here is the MSDS sheet. It clearly states that it contains a small amount of iron. I cannot see how it can be listed as an insulator however. I mixed up a small batch of it and after it cured it was attracted to a magnet. I did check it with a digital Fluke and it registered 0 ohms so it is non conductive.

I still maintain that my two drums are working fine with no black or dark brass coming out of them.

V
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top