Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/29/2014 8:16:41 AM EDT
Am I being a silly ninny, it just makes me nervous.

I try to load powders that are at around 90 - 95% case capacity to get away from compressing, but I broke my compressing cherry this weekend.

84gr of H1000 fill up a case almost to the mouth in a 300 Win Mag.  I will be shooting them this weekend to see how they do.

Anyone else not like compressing or should I just buck up and accept it as a normal practice.  (I know it is normal)
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 8:38:37 AM EDT
[#1]
I always have the vision of getting my finger joints caught between the ram and head of my press when compressing powder.  Still do it repeatedly though.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:02:09 AM EDT
[#2]
I never compress a load, if I need more power, I get a bigger gun.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:02:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I try to load powders that are at around 90 - 95% case capacity to get away from compressing, but I broke my compressing cherry this weekend.

84gr of H1000 fill up a case almost to the mouth in a 300 Win Mag.  I will be shooting them this weekend to see how they do.

Anyone else not like compressing or should I just buck up and accept it as a normal practice.  (I know it is normal)
View Quote

Are you using a drop tube ?

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:57:24 AM EDT
[#4]
It doesn't bother me.  Some of my loads with Varget on the 308 are doing this.  No signs of pressure.   Normal velocities.    Might put your finger over the case and shake it a little if you are concerned or try that tube gadget.  I haven't gotten into the 300 win mag yet.  I should have mine this coming Nov or Dec.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:02:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Powder isnt the explosive, its the accelerant.  You can hit powder with a hammer and its not going to go off.  Primers are the explosive bit.

Some powders shoot more consistently when a bit compressed.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:04:25 AM EDT
[#6]
I use my scale pan and a funnel.  Once the powder is in the case I tap the case with the edge of the scale pan.  It settles about to the bottom of the neck.  I am loading 168gr SMK to a COAL of 3.34 so they are a bit long.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:33:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Don't mind it at all. Have thought about drop tubes but as yet not actually required.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 11:07:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Doesn't bother me, at least with compressed loads you usually can't ft enough powder in the case to cause a grossly over-pressured situation. Half full cases of a fast pistol powder causes me more concern.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 11:20:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 12:16:03 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't (and won't) do it.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 12:18:56 PM EDT
[#11]
When I ran into my first compressed load, I decided to try another powder.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 12:31:01 PM EDT
[#12]
I don't know why some people are so afraid of compressed loads. Some powders burn more consistent compressed not to mention some of my most accurite loads are compressed. Just have good technique but by no means is it a safety issue. Just my .02 but each to its own
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 12:42:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Do it everyday for 12-14 hours...

Use vibration or the drop tube.

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 12:44:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Compressed loads have nothing to do with "more power".  Mostly they mean the opposite, or not enough difference to matter.

Some gunpowder have very slow burn rates for the combination of components for a cartridge, and the means for achieving anything like normal speeds, if not pressure, is by filling the case.  Even then a different gunpowder is probably a "better" choice if more speed is needed, but the difference might not warrant switching.  About the only downside is the difference in cost of a few grains of gunpowder for the compressed load.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I never compress a load, if I need more power, I get a bigger gun.

Compressed loads have nothing to do with "more power".  Mostly they mean the opposite, or not enough difference to matter.

Some gunpowder have very slow burn rates for the combination of components for a cartridge, and the means for achieving anything like normal speeds, if not pressure, is by filling the case.  Even then a different gunpowder is probably a "better" choice if more speed is needed, but the difference might not warrant switching.  About the only downside is the difference in cost of a few grains of gunpowder for the compressed load.

I'm learning this more and more after reading about varget loads.  Where people are getting better results with IMR 4064 for their long range loads.   Sometimes a different powder is the best option.....like the local stores are full of choices....chuckle.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 12:54:26 PM EDT
[#15]
My best .308 Win loads are with compressed charges of IMR4064.

Theorize that compression provides a more even burn, but I'm just guessing.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 1:22:44 PM EDT
[#16]
I actually prefer (slightly) compressed loads. My 24.5 grain charge of Varget using Sierra 69 grain MK's slightly crunches on about 50% of the rounds. The case is "full" for lack of a better term. I get 2750 fps and excellent accuracy from every rifle I've shot them through. 20" barrel.

Full cases of IMR-4064 works the same with 168 grain SMK's in .308. I use 41.5 grains when loading Lake City brass. This load runs close to 2500 fps from an M1-A and almost 2600 fps from my 26" bolt actions.

Neither of these loads are over maximum, the powders are just so bulky they fill the case before reaching maximum pressures.

I have found lower standard deviations when using ball powders, but never better accuracy. This is especially true at longer ranges, 600 yards or more. I have never heard of any records being set by people using ball powders. Virtually 100% of the 600 to 1000 yard accuracy records, either benchrest or highpower are held by shooters using extruded powders.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 1:26:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for all the replies, it helps to have all of this great information so close at hand.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 2:24:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 2:27:35 PM EDT
[#19]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you using a drop tube ?

http://accurateshooter.net/Blog/21funnel02.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img194/8966/droptube.jpg

Drop tubes never worked like that for me.   Using 7828SSC, pouring into the case mouth or using the Foster 6" drop tube yielded exactly the same fill on the case.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 4:22:20 PM EDT
[#20]
I actually really like it when the powder fills the case up.  Not room for mistakes of an over charge!!!
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:26:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Most of my rifle rounds are Compressed, some very heavily.  I,like many, find compressed loads more accurate and more consistent.  

When working with a new cartridge or rifle I always start with slow powders that require compression.  Rarely do I ever have to resort to fast non-compressed loads to find the perfect combination of accuracy and velocity.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:54:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:04:52 PM EDT
[#23]
I will often just put my finger over the case mouth and give it a shake, no more compressed load, the powder settles nicely like that.  Stick powder really needs this on heavy loads.

BTW, that 84gr of H1000, stout.  I am glad that is your shoulder....  :)
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:13:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Welcome back, you haven't been around lately.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Most of my rifle rounds are Compressed, some very heavily.  I,like many, find compressed loads more accurate and more consistent.  

When working with a new cartridge or rifle I always start with slow powders that require compression.  Rarely do I ever have to resort to fast non-compressed loads to find the perfect combination of accuracy and velocity.
Welcome back, you haven't been around lately.  

I know, been caught up in all that is happening in the political world getting ready for next week.

I did get out and sight in a few deer rifle the other day, that was a welcome change.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:28:16 PM EDT
[#25]
I never use compressed charges.  I have never encountered any need, neither for purposes of achieving a velocity target nor for achieving an accuracy target.  In my experience, if you need to compress a powder, you're using the wrong powder.  And it does seem to be the case that reloaders who don't want to spend any money on powder try to make one or two powders "do it all"...just dumb reloading IMO.  
Another objection I have to compressing is that two of the determining powder characteristics that contribute to specific powder performance is the shape and size of the powder kernels.  If you compress a charge, then by definition you are changing the shape and maybe the size of the powder kernels, and now you're in uncharted territory as to consistency of load performance.

But, just my .02.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:53:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I never use compressed charges.  I have never encountered any need, neither for purposes of achieving a velocity target nor for achieving an accuracy target.  In my experience, if you need to compress a powder, you're using the wrong powder.  And it does seem to be the case that reloaders who don't want to spend any money on powder try to make one or two powders "do it all"...just dumb reloading IMO.  
Another objection I have to compressing is that two of the determining powder characteristics that contribute to specific powder performance is the shape and size of the powder kernels.  If you compress a charge, then by definition you are changing the shape and maybe the size of the powder kernels, and now you're in uncharted territory as to consistency of load performance.

But, just my .02.
View Quote

Your seriously misinformed. By using the proper tools and technique it's quite effective.  Reloaders that compress loads are not "trying" to get 1 powder to do multiple needs rather it's out of nessesity for example I have several loads that are super accurite with compressed loads like my krieger service rifle cmp and a Rem 700 and 110 all eat up compressed like loads.

With proper tools theirs very deformation of kernels

Some of my most acuity match loads are compressed.

I do not plan on stopping after reading your opinion and I dough anyone else will either.  

Safe shooting
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:14:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I will often just put my finger over the case mouth and give it a shake, no more compressed load, the powder settles nicely like that.  Stick powder really needs this on heavy loads.

BTW, that 84gr of H1000, stout.  I am glad that is your shoulder....  :)
View Quote

I had a KDF brake installed on the rifle.  It kicks like a .243.  It is amazing.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 3:32:56 AM EDT
[#28]
      If you compress a charge, then by definition you are changing the shape and maybe the size of the powder kernels, and now you're in uncharted territory as to consistency of load performance.    
View Quote

...and you would be mistaken.  Nothing uncharted about following load data, data that list the slow burning powder and also indicates a Compressed load.

Check out Hodgdon's load data for the OP's 300 Win Mag and his choice of powder, H-1000.  See that (C) after the load, that indicates "Compressed" and is NOT uncharted Territory.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 2:16:24 PM EDT
[#29]
I just tap the casing on the bench as i pour the powder from the pan to the funnel and I've always had a "compressed" load settle in below neck level. As far as the recommendation to change powder to something that doesn't need it, sometimes the best powder needs to be compressed. Using Nosler data I can push a 40 grain bullet out of a 223 at 3,860 FPS but I have to use 28 grains of benchmark (104% case capacity). There is no other powder pushing that bullet at that speed (or even close) out of that case. And my gun loves that load and for 223 it hits like a truck on varmints. When I tap the shell on the table as I load the powder I've never had the powder get in the way of the seated bullet.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 4:32:29 PM EDT
[#30]
A lightly compressed load can often make for a better reload.  When firing rounds that have lots of airspace, tilting the round up or down before chambering it can vastly change the pressure and velocity.  If you tilt it back (primer down) all the powder is along the primer and fires hotter.  If you tilt it forward, (bullet down) the powder gets shoved up front away from the primer, making an air pocket between the two.  This causes lower pressures and velocities.  A lightly compressed load never has to worry about the powder moving around, thus a more consistent round.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 9:50:10 AM EDT
[#31]
Range report...

Fired a few strings of the 84gr loading and got no signs of over pressure.  Recoil was minimal.

At 100 yards I have the gun sighted in 1.76 in high for a 250 yard zero.

Chrono came back with 3331, 3344, and 3342 out of a 26 inch barrel

I didn't take pictures but my first shot was perfect.  Next shot an inch high and the next shot was an inch higher.  All perfect from right to left.  Just high.

My first loading for this rifle was 77 gr and I got a .58 inch group at 100 yards.  I didn't crono the load though.  :(
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top