Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/29/2014 7:57:22 AM EDT
Has anyone used the supposedly new "Extreme Powder" version of H4895 to load M2 Ball rounds for the Garand?  Hodgdon lists this as having its "origin in the first powder Bruce Hodgdon sold," but they also call it one of their Extreme powders, which are supposed to be cut shorter for better metering in progressive loading situations.  I'd like to hear from folks who've tried it specifically for M2 Ball loads for the Garand - does it meter well in the volumes needed for this round?  Does it perform the way one would expect for a Garand?  Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 8:19:27 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't know much about it yet, other than it meters almost like ball powder.  One of my biggest gripes was the metering issues with cylindrical powder, but my first use of the new Extreme powder it meters almost like ball.  I was surprised at getting the same results on about a 90% average when metering the extreme H1000.  I load IMR 4895 for .270 Win and I have to weigh and measure every single load.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:23:10 AM EDT
[#2]
I do not do high volume loading for my Garand so the extruded IMR4895 is not an issue for me. All my Garand loads are hand weighed and do not go through my powder measure.

V
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 12:31:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Has anyone used the supposedly new "Extreme Powder" version of H4895 to load M2 Ball rounds for the Garand?  Hodgdon lists this as having its "origin in the first powder Bruce Hodgdon sold," but they also call it one of their Extreme powders, which are supposed to be cut shorter for better metering in progressive loading situations.  I'd like to hear from folks who've tried it specifically for M2 Ball loads for the Garand - does it meter well in the volumes needed for this round?  Does it perform the way one would expect for a Garand?  Thanks!
View Quote

It works perfectly well, just as advertised.  It meters well.  It cycles the M1 action properly.  

It uses a different charge weight than IMR 4895, about 1 gr different, so work up your loads carefully.

My Garand is not sufficiently accurate to see any accuracy difference due to the two different powders.  

Do you have some issue that is of particular concern?
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 1:28:14 PM EDT
[#4]
46.0 grains of H4895 or IMR-4895 works well, is safe and functions reliably in M1 Garands. You can leave your powder measure set at this level and load 150's, 168's and 175's. The 175's will be a maximum load, the first two are not.

This was considered a universally known and used highpower charge when M1's were the reigning semi-auto in 1960's to mid-70's NRA matches.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 4:08:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
46.0 grains of H4895 or IMR-4895 works well, is safe and functions reliably in M1 Garands. You can leave your powder measure set at this level and load 150's, 168's and 175's. The 175's will be a maximum load, the first two are not.

This was considered a universally known and used highpower charge when M1's were the reigning semi-auto in 1960's to mid-70's NRA matches.
View Quote

That sounds Way too high to me..
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 4:51:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Appears to be well within the NRA's recommended loads - although I think those are pretty old
they should be safe.

link
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 5:47:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Woops, I was thinking 308 Winchester
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 6:38:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

It works perfectly well, just as advertised.  It meters well.  It cycles the M1 action properly.  

It uses a different charge weight than IMR 4895, about 1 gr different, so work up your loads carefully.

My Garand is not sufficiently accurate to see any accuracy difference due to the two different powders.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No concern, just curiosity.  One of my (sadly, many) upcoming projects is to start loading for my Garand.  The biggest gripe I've heard from folks who load practice ammo for the M1 is that "the right powder" (IMR 4895 or essentially its equivalent, H4895) was hard to meter because it was an extruded powder.  Lacking the patience to load slowly with a stick-type powder, I was hoping the new H4895 was easier to meter.  It sounds like it does, and though it's not a 1:1 direct replacement for established IMR/H4895 loads, I'm more interested in it working than anything else.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 7:36:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
No concern, just curiosity.  One of my (sadly, many) upcoming projects is to start loading for my Garand.  The biggest gripe I've heard from folks who load practice ammo for the M1 is that "the right powder" (IMR 4895 or essentially its equivalent, H4895) was hard to meter because it was an extruded powder.  Lacking the patience to load slowly with a stick-type powder, I was hoping the new H4895 was easier to meter.  It sounds like it does, and though it's not a 1:1 direct replacement for established IMR/H4895 loads, I'm more interested in it working than anything else.
View Quote

You will have no trouble with it "working".  It is as good a powder for the M1 as any out there and better than most.

I throw charges in my Dillon 550B.  Both powders throw with acceptable uniformity.  Even the IMR throws charges with SD = 0.1gr (0.2%).  With the common loads, you will have no troubles with thrown charges.

I have heard, but do not know from personal experience, the LEE Perfect Powder Measure throws large granule powders very consistently.  That measure is very inexpensive, too (~$25 at MidwayUSA).  I would start with your current measure, whatever flavor that is.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 8:54:39 PM EDT
[#10]
I have an RCBS Uniflow and a Hornady LnL powder measure.  The Dillon and Lee measures are both slide-based, while the Uniflow and it's Hornady near twin use rotary metering chambers.  Long granule extruded powders tend to be most problematic with rotary meters, which is why I asked about metering.

Thanks for recommending the Lee measure, though.  I've seen mention (though not details) of somehow adapting these to non-Lee presses.  I may give that a shot some day.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:01:11 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I have an RCBS Uniflow and a Hornady LnL powder measure.  The Dillon and Lee measures are both slide-based, while the Uniflow and it's Hornady near twin use rotary metering chambers.  Long granule extruded powders tend to be most problematic with rotary meters, which is why I asked about metering.

Thanks for recommending the Lee measure, though.  I've seen mention (though not details) of somehow adapting these to non-Lee presses.  I may give that a shot some day.
View Quote

Dillon makes an adapter and die specifically to allow you to use 3rd party powder measures on your press.  You want these two items.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:11:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Dillon makes an adapter and die specifically to allow you to use 3rd party powder measures on your press.  You want these two items.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unfortunately, they don't make an adapter for a Hornady progressive press to use the Dillon measure.  Then I wouldn't worry about metering issues with my measures.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 12:01:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Get one of the cheap plastic Lee red powder measures.  They work great with stick powder.  It doesn't cut the powder, and is very smooth.  Mine throws very accurate loads with IMR 4895 when I load .30-06 for the M1 Garand.  I just drop; I don't trickle.  Good enough to win our local matches.  However, the Lee power measure will leak ball powders all over your loading bench.    I have an RCBS for dropping ball powders.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 1:13:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Get one of the cheap plastic Lee red powder measures.  They work great with stick powder.  It doesn't cut the powder, and is very smooth.  Mine throws very accurate loads with IMR 4895 when I load .30-06 for the M1 Garand.  I just drop; I don't trickle.  Good enough to win our local matches.  However, the Lee power measure will leak ball powders all over your loading bench.    I have an RCBS for dropping ball powders.
View Quote

See, here's another vote in favor of the LEE Perfect Powder Measure I mentioned above.  If my Dillon measure did not throw as well as I want and need, I'd already own one of these little goodies.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 6:55:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Are we talking about Lee's "Auto Disk" measure, or their "Pro Auto Disk" measure?  I would have to work out how to adapt it to my Hornady press, but I can see it working nicely.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 8:00:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 9:02:04 PM EDT
[#17]

I use that one with ZIP for 9 and 45. Spills powder but measures exact. I doubt it would spill stick powder because it wouldn't slip through the disk.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 9:49:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Wow, even simpler - and apparently easier to adapt to my press, too.  Thanks!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top