Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/25/2014 10:47:08 AM EDT
Just a thought, I was reading the review of the new S&W .308 AR10 in the NRA magazine. They mentioned that S&W has installed a spring on the firing pin to aid in eliminating slam fires. I was wondering if this is something we might try in our .223/5.56 AR's. Not that I have ever experienced a slam fire.

Just a thought
V
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:12:07 AM EDT
[#1]
My .308 ARs are all Armalite AR-10s, and they all have springs on the firing pins.  I thought this was common in .308 ARs because of the larger/heavier firing pin.

Slam fires in .223 are a consequence of using the wrong primer or not seating a primer sub flush.  They're not an issue if you use the correct components properly.  Springs on a .223 AR firing pin would seem to me to be a solution looking for a problem.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:25:17 AM EDT
[#2]
I tend to agree. I only use CCI #41 primers and have not had any problems to date. I did not realize that all .308 AR's had this spring.

Vince
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 2:06:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I tend to agree. I only use CCI #41 primers and have not had any problems to date. I did not realize that all .308 AR's had this spring.

Vince
View Quote

I have a Bushmaster ORC 308 and it has no spring on the firing pin
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:29:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Agree. seat primer correctly and be happy. But I also wouldn't pass on an AR15 if someone engineered the correct spring to fit the bolt/firing pin.

I have an Armalite too. Spring seems like a good idea. Bought 5000 M34 primers before I noticed the spring. Considering using them in my garand and going with something like Winchester in the Armalite since it seems protected enough....

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My .308 ARs are all Armalite AR-10s, and they all have springs on the firing pins.  I thought this was common in .308 ARs because of the larger/heavier firing pin.

Slam fires in .223 are a consequence of using the wrong primer or not seating a primer sub flush.  They're not an issue if you use the correct components properly.  Springs on a .223 AR firing pin would seem to me to be a solution looking for a problem.
View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top