Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/24/2014 8:28:02 PM EDT
I picked up about 20lbs of Varget for Various match grade needs. I've worked up some great loads in .308 and 5.56 but I have found that varget charge numbers are all over the place depending on who you ask and what book you use. I know most books are very conservative, but some of the loads they list are down right pathetic.

Now fast forward to a few weeks back and I came across some Mk319 SOST rounds. These are tiny little 130gr .308 pills that are supposed to hit just shy of 3000 FPS mark out of a 16" tube. Everyone has told me Ramshot Tac is what you want for this so I have been patiently scouring the net. Nothing.... for 4 weeks I have found nothing. no Tac to be had. So checked my manuals for 130gr data and they all either don't list varget or say make speed is around 2500FPS. This is in both my Speer and my Lyman books, both with charge weights within about a grain or two of each other, in the 42gr max range with pressure in the 62K PSI range

Out of curiosity I checked the Hodgon site, they list a 47 gr STARTING Charge and a 50Gr compressed max load using a 130gr SPR HP. Now, I use 44grs under 168gr AMAX in my precision bolt gun. It has some pretty good buck to it compared to M118 or m852. A 50gr compressed load seems almost unsafe... that being said, they are the MFG.

Anyone tried a 47+ grain load of Varg on a light weight round?
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:19:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I loaded up some Varget with barnes 130 TTSX bullets.  Barnes start load was 47 or 47.5 of Varget. I put 47 in LC brass and it was well up on the neck of the case.  I dropped down to 46.5 of Varget.  Getting ~ 2750 fps out of my ar10 16".  2 moa load which is good enough for bambi.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:18:11 PM EDT
[#2]
My experience has been the opposite of yours. Varget loads in Hornady and Sierra manual's .223 loads are good to go. Hodgdon online not so much. Palma shooters (1000 yard .308 using bullets weighing no more than 155 grains) are using 46.0 grains of Varget in Winchester (highest internal capacity) cases to get 2950 fps +/- from 30" barrels. These loads are HOT and are being fired from purpose built custom single shot bolt actions. Never shoot this load without working up and never shoot it in a semi-auto...........ever. This same load will shoot close to 2800 fps from a 26" barrel. A 16" will probably under 2500 fps.

I think 47.0 grains of Varget in .308 using 130 grain Speer HP's is probably a reasonable maximum load. 50 grains sounds more like something meant for a .30-06.

.308 brass is all over the place, especially military 7.62x51mm military cases which require 2.0 full grain reduction in powder charges because of reduced internal capacity. Use Winchester commercial brass if you are trying for highest possible velocity.

Current Speer and Lyman data runs hot, older books run dangerous hot. You are probably not going to get anywhere close to 3000 fps from a 16" barrel even using 130 grain bullets. I doubt it's safely possible. 130 grain bullets and 3000 fps from a 26" or longer you probably can do. Most published data uses longer barrels, especially .30 caliber rifles. On average you can subtract 25/30 fps for every inch shorter your barrel is. This difference per inch increases the shorter your barrel gets.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:34:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Of course data is all over the place. Sierra uses Federal cases to work their loads up.  Hodgdon load data used Winchester brass.  So, surprise different parameters equal different results.  There is not a thing wrong with compressed loads.  You may have to use a drop tube to settle the powder column. Plus use the brass that the data was worked up in.  DUH!

Just cause a loading specs as something, does not mean the results can be duplicated with off the shelf products.  Might not be possible to safely achieve.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:20:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Of course data is all over the place. Sierra uses Federal cases to work their loads up.  Hodgdon load data used Winchester brass.  So, surprise different parameters equal different results.  There is not a thing wrong with compressed loads.  You may have to use a drop tube to settle the powder column. Plus use the brass that the data was worked up in.  DUH!

Just cause a loading specs as something, does not mean the results can be duplicated with off the shelf products.  Might not be possible to safely achieve.
View Quote

That is what I am afraid of. but buying loaded Mk319 is very costly and I got a steel on the projos. Back to the drawing board. I wonder if I can make these stabilize in a 300WM....
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 6:45:46 AM EDT
[#5]
What Lyman book do you have? 49th lists 46-50gr for a charge weight with Varget and a 130gr SP, 3174fps and 59.9K psi on the top end 24" tube of course.

Listed charge weights vary from source to source, that's why it is always recommended to start low and work up watching for signs of pressure.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:27:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Hey op,  I worked up some 178 amax for my 308 and tested this morning. Did .2 increments up to 43.2. They got better as I approached 43.2 and I was able to get .5 inch sized grouping at 100 yards.  Hornady manual says 43.2 is max.  I have, however seen others load upwards to 44.3 grain loads.  My loads seemed tight and maybe compressed.  I didn't see any pressure signs,  what's typical for a 178 amax and should I go up a little more?
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:56:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Hey op,  I worked up some 178 amax for my 308 and tested this morning. Did .2 increments up to 43.2. They got better as I approached 43.2 and I was able to get .5 inch sized grouping at 100 yards.  Hornady manual says 43.2 is max.  I have, however seen others load upwards to 44.3 grain loads.  My loads seemed tight and maybe compressed.  I didn't see any pressure signs,  what's typical for a 178 amax and should I go up a little more?
View Quote

If you're at the bullet manufacturer's maximum load and getting 1/2" groups, why would you want to go higher? Without a chronograph to compare your velocities vs. Hornady's published speeds I would be happy and stop. You may be over pressure now and not know it. You may a have a tiny amount of wiggle room to go higher, but your accuracy is great. I wouldn't change anything if I was getting 1/2" groups.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:07:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I picked up about 20lbs of Varget for Various match grade needs. I've worked up some great loads in .308 and 5.56 but I have found that varget charge numbers are all over the place depending on who you ask and what book you use. I know most books are very conservative, but some of the loads they list are down right pathetic.

Now fast forward to a few weeks back and I came across some Mk319 SOST rounds. These are tiny little 130gr .308 pills that are supposed to hit just shy of 3000 FPS mark out of a 16" tube. Everyone has told me Ramshot Tac is what you want for this so I have been patiently scouring the net. Nothing.... for 4 weeks I have found nothing. no Tac to be had. So checked my manuals for 130gr data and they all either don't list varget or say make speed is around 2500FPS. This is in both my Speer and my Lyman books, both with charge weights within about a grain or two of each other, in the 42gr max range with pressure in the 62K PSI range

Out of curiosity I checked the Hodgon site, they list a 47 gr STARTING Charge and a 50Gr compressed max load using a 130gr SPR HP. Now, I use 44grs under 168gr AMAX in my precision bolt gun. It has some pretty good buck to it compared to M118 or m852. A 50gr compressed load seems almost unsafe... that being said, they are the MFG.

Anyone tried a 47+ grain load of Varg on a light weight round?
View Quote

8 whole pounds of Ramshot TAC
http://www.bullets.com/products/TAC-Powder-8-lb-/BL11826
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:35:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

If you're at the bullet manufacturer's maximum load and getting 1/2" groups, why would you want to go higher? Without a chronograph to compare your velocities vs. Hornady's published speeds I would be happy and stop. You may be over pressure now and not know it. You may a have a tiny amount of wiggle room to go higher, but your accuracy is great. I wouldn't change anything if I was getting 1/2" groups.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who said I didn't have a chrono.  Avg speed 2625 fps out of a 20 inch barrel. Reason I want to go higher is that the groups didn't tighten down until my last set of 5 at 43.2 grains. Just curious to see when they start to tighten or spread so I have a range
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:38:08 PM EDT
[#10]
I run 45.5 of Varget under a 168 Amax in my DPMS LR308 (18"), and in my Rem 700 SPS tac. No signs of over pressure and both rifles seem to be perfectly happy with it, no chrono so unfortunately I'm no help there. Around 41MOA@1000 yards for both guns.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:31:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I run 45.5 of Varget under a 168 Amax in my DPMS LR308 (18"), and in my Rem 700 SPS tac. No signs of over pressure and both rifles seem to be perfectly happy with it, no chrono so unfortunately I'm no help there. Around 41MOA@1000 yards for both guns.
View Quote

Is that a typo? 41MOA would be like 34 feet.... I could probably do that with a handgun.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:47:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Who said I didn't have a chrono.  Avg speed 2625 fps out of a 20 inch barrel. Reason I want to go higher is that the groups didn't tighten down until my last set of 5 at 43.2 grains. Just curious to see when they start to tighten or spread so I have a range
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That means you are close to 2725 fps when fired from a 24" tube. How fast does Hornady's maximum load travel with Varget and 178's? Your load seems fast to me. I don't run any 168 or 175 SMK's faster than 2600 fps from my 24" .308 barrels. I haven't loaded any 178's so take that into consideration. I suspect you are pushing it.  My M1-A 168 grain loads run 2500 fps actual velocity from a 22" when using military brass and published maximum "service rifle loads".  
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 8:56:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Is that a typo? 41MOA would be like 34 feet.... I could probably do that with a handgun.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess you didn't want TAC that bad. Instead you want to make jokes?
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 10:24:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd recommend downloading the ballistic app for your phone
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 1:14:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

That means you are close to 2725 fps when fired from a 24" tube. How fast does Hornady's maximum load travel with Varget and 178's? Your load seems fast to me. I don't run any 168 or 175 SMK's faster than 2600 fps from my 24" .308 barrels. I haven't loaded any 178's so take that into consideration. I suspect you are pushing it.  My M1-A 168 grain loads run 2500 fps actual velocity from a 22" when using military brass and published maximum "service rifle loads".  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just got home and looked at my Hornady manual.  Was at the lease this weekend, so did a lot of reading about this combo this weekend.  Hornady says 43.2 is 2500 FPS at 43.2 grains.  No pressures given.  So, I consulted my Lyman 49th.  It gives 44 grains max 2661 FPS pressure 60,500.  I do agree that I'm at max according to hornady and near max according to Lyman.  This weekend, my chrono errored on two of five shots due to the sun.  But I did get 2655,2527,2694. Avg 2625

Reason I want to proceed a little more is that my grouping with other factory ammo is better, Nickle sized in a 150 grain bullet. I'm great with that as its a hunting round.  I'd like to get the 178 to do a little better.  From most of my reading what others have gotten, 43.7 was average.  So, I'm thinking of trying 43.2 again for repeatability and then 43.4, 43.6, 43.8  to see what that does.  My 168 SMK groups Nickle to dime sized with 42 gr RL15.  I'd like to try getting this 178 amax up to that if I can.

I do need to be practical though. If consensus is that I'm as high as I should go, I'll leave it.  I'm just feeling out some responses on the forum. The 168 seems to shoot best.  I'm working with the 178 for distance shooting.  Going to try to learn and practice longer shots.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 5:58:00 PM EDT
[#16]
A max load at 50gr of Varget under a 130gr bullet in .308 Win. does not sound unreasonable at all. In fact looking at loads for 168s it seems very reasonable. I'd like to see you get 50gr of Varget into a .308 Win. case. Can you say drop tube. Like a 3 foot long one.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 7:34:55 PM EDT
[#17]
I've shot 1000s of rounds loaded with 46.7grs of Varget with a 155gr bullet in Black HIlls brass.  A lot of people use 47.0 with this weight bullet as well.  This is in a bot gun though and not an autoloader.

Haven't shot anything weighing less than 155grains though in 308, but I'd assume you could go with more than 47 with a lighter bullet.  I don't see how you could get it all in the case though.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 8:32:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm going to assume he meant 41" at 1000 yards or 4.1 moa, give or take.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 10:28:56 PM EDT
[#19]
NO.  He's talking about the dial up from his 100yd. zero.  
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 12:50:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I've shot 1000s of rounds loaded with 46.7grs of Varget with a 155gr bullet in Black HIlls brass.  A lot of people use 47.0 with this weight bullet as well.  This is in a bot gun though and not an autoloader.

Haven't shot anything weighing less than 155grains though in 308, but I'd assume you could go with more than 47 with a lighter bullet.  I don't see how you could get it all in the case though.
View Quote

Work your own loads up...

My hunting load is almost 48 grs Varget pushing a 150 gr TTSX to almost 3000 fps (chronoed) through a 26" tube with mag primers, in a Lapua case, fire formed and neck sized...o

No problem with the volume of Varget in the 308 Lapua case...

YMMV
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top