Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/20/2014 12:47:35 PM EDT
I am getting set up for loading my 45-70. I want to shoot cast bullets. I see a lot of people use rcbs cowboy dies because it bells the case mouth. But the dies are about $70 and then I'll need a crimp die as well. Is there any other way to go about belling the case mouth or is that it?
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 2:08:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 2:29:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I am getting set up for loading my 45-70. I want to shoot cast bullets. I see a lot of people use rcbs cowboy dies because it bells the case mouth. But the dies are about $70 and then I'll need a crimp die as well. Is there any other way to go about belling the case mouth or is that it?
View Quote

Sir, FWIW I don't recall how much the RCBS die set that I have for this cartridge cost, but I agree with Mr. Dryflash, the belling die is the second die in the set of three.  I reload this cartridge for two different rifles, one a Win '86 and the other a Sharps 1874.  The Win, does just fine with 300 gr cast bullets with gas checks and seating and crimping simultaneously with die 3 of the set.  With the Sharps I use FFG black powder and I use a wad seating plug with die 2 to compress the charge before seating a 525gr cast bullet.  I do not crimp the cartridge neck for use in a single shot rifle, but black powder likes to be compressed and it's better to use a seating plug to compress the powder and wad instead of the bullet during the seating process.  JMHO, 7zero1.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 2:33:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the replies. This is for a marlin 1895 so I definitely want to crimp. I was under the impression the Lee die set came with a sizing die, a seating die and a crimp die, where the rcbs only came with a sizing die and a seating die.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 2:36:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the replies. This is for a marlin 1895 so I definitely want to crimp. I was under the impression the Lee die set came with a sizing die, a seating die and a crimp die, where the rcbs only came with a sizing die and a seating die.
View Quote

Nope, 3 die in 45-70 same with the cowboy dies
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:37:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Should be able to get a Lyman M-die for $20.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:17:02 PM EDT
[#6]
have you ck your slug size yet for that marlin .....I size mine to 459 and 460 ...watch that fcd dosent size down the boolit .
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:18:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My standard RCBS set has a case mouth expander.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:43:04 AM EDT
[#8]
My Lyman set had the case mouth expanding die included as part of the three die set.  You control the degree of belling by adjusting the depth of the belling stem.  Adjust it just enough to not shave lead when seating the bullet.

I used the seating die adjusted to do a roll crimp as well.  It's not difficult to set up.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:34:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
have you ck your slug size yet for that marlin .....I size mine to 459 and 460 ...watch that fcd dosent size down the boolit .
View Quote

45-70 FCD is a stab crimp die. Unless you are doing it REALLY wrong it will work great and won't size your cast bullets down. I use a Lee seating die with the seating stem removed in station four for a roll crimp in my setup.

OP, I have the standard RDBS 3 dies set and it comes with an expander as others have stated. No need to spend the extra on the cowboy dies unless you just want them for the looks.

I run my cast bullets at .460 in my Marlin 1895 SBL in the above setup and they work great.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:45:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

45-70 FCD is a stab crimp die. Unless you are doing it REALLY wrong it will work great and won't size your cast bullets down. I use a Lee seating die with the seating stem removed in station four for a roll crimp in my setup.

OP, I have the standard RDBS 3 dies set and it comes with an expander as others have stated. No need to spend the extra on the cowboy dies unless you just want them for the looks.

I run my cast bullets at .460 in my Marlin 1895 SBL in the above setup and they work great.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

To explain more clearly: The 45-70 FCD DOES NOT have the post sizing carbide ring like the pistol FCD. It uses a collet like the bottle neck FCD.

OP: The standard neck expander / mouth flair may work ok for your cast bullets but the Lyman "M" die is better. The standard expander only expands for optimal fit of jacketed bullets. Your cast bullets will very likely be a little larger and may get inadvertently squeezed down seating them in tight necks.

I suggest you read up on the "M" die.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:52:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Lee universal case expanding die, $12.73 or so.

titanreloading.com
http://www.titanreloading.com/specialty-reloading-dies/universal-expanding-die
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:48:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Lyman M die is perfect for this application.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:46:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Over at castboolits
NOE expander plugs

We have added a line of expander plugs.

Use with Lee Universal Neck Expanding Die.
   Turns it in to a true neck expander like a Lyman M-die.

Rifle expander plugs
   http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.php?cPath=88

Pistol expander plugs
   http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.php?cPath=89

Hope to offer custom sizes in the near future.

Bullet maker, maker
   Swede Nelson

The expectation of evil is more bitter than the suffering -OR-
   More people die from worrying about getting ate by a bear then get ate by a bear.

Owner and CEO/CC&BW
   NOE Bullet Moulds
   You can check our schedule HERE

Made in the U.S.A.
   Come and see us at:
   www.noebulletmoulds.com

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top