Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/20/2014 11:54:44 AM EDT
I already have the Lee dies and would prefer to not have to buy another set of dies just for this press.

I am looking at doing 5.56 and 7.62x51 on it. I am going to buy the caliber conversions and feed plates anyway.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:05:50 PM EDT
[#1]
You will need to screw the locking ring on some of the Lee dies in from the bottom, as Lee's dies are much shorter than Dillon's dies. Also, out of the box, Lee dies won't get you to SAAMI minimum headspace without modification, so if that's something you're specifically looking for, there's that. I've found that all my AR chambers have been too loose for that to matter, FWIW. I use Lee dies for just about everything I reload in bulk.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:09:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Nope.

I've used Lee Deluxe Carbide Pistol die sets for the 6 pistol calibers I handload in both my 550B and XL650 for years and years and 10s of thousands of rounds.  For necked my 7 rifle calibers, I use a combination of Dillon's resizer/decapper die with Lee's Pacesetter dies because, while I prefer Lee's hand adjustable seating and crimping dies, Dillon's carbide expander ball on their std resizing die is superior to Lee's steel expander because it doesn't require inside neck lube and doesn't squeak or stretch the neck so much.  With over 170,000 rds through the combination of both my presses, Lee's dies have worked great and still perform as well as they did when new.

Edit to add:  I do, however, use Dillon's die lock ring sets rather than Lee's with their o-ring setup because Dillon's lock rings can be tightened with a 1" deep socket or their special Bench Wrench.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:06:43 PM EDT
[#3]
As stated above, no problem with Lee dies and the 650.  You do need to put the lock ring on the underside of the die holder or just use dillon lock rings.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:26:03 PM EDT
[#4]
+1

LEE dies work fine in the 550B and XL650

Buy some dillon lock-nuts, and yep, sometimes you need to put them under the toolehead.

http://www.dillonprecision.com/content/p/9/pid/24511/catid/4/Dillon_5_Pack_Die_Lock_Rings

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:40:24 AM EDT
[#5]
My .223/556 tool head is Lee, no issues.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:03:07 AM EDT
[#6]
And FWIW, the older Lee dies tend to have a shorter length of the die threaded than the new dies (about 1.5 vs 1.75").  With newer dies I've had no problem, but with my older die sets (late 70s vintage), it is either replace or try to use the lock nut from the bottom (I chose to replace).
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 2:42:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Just re-set up my 9mm and 45 toolheads last night after dry tumbling the dies to get a bunch of lube residue and other crud cleaned off. While they don't have any threads sticking above the lock ring when correctly set up in the toolhead in relation to the shellplate, I did not have to put the lock rings on the bottom for my 550B.

Can't speak for a 650
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 2:57:08 PM EDT
[#8]
I have used them without any problems in the 650 and super 1050.  I don't see why they wouldn't work in a 550.  You'll want to replace the locking nut though.

Mike
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top