Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/19/2014 8:30:22 AM EDT
So, I made the mistake of asking the wife to pick up some "100% Pure Lanolin" to mix with my 99% alcohol to make lube. I figured they would have it at Whole Foods.

Of course, I wasn't specific enough so she came home with a large tub of "100% Pure Lanolin".. but it's a wax/paste. The guy in store told her it is used for lips, diaper rash, etc. I don't have any problems with that (at least not yet but maybe when I get older). They didn't have any oils.

Anyway, my first attempt to mix wasn't so great. Then the wife actually had a good idea, "heat the wax". So, I nuked a small dab in a bowl. It then looked more like an oil and mixed perfectly with alcohol. I am now leaving it covered in a bowl to see if it separates/hardens.

SO, i guess i will need to figure out if the recipe is the same for the wax vs. the oil. If this paste does work, I suspect it will be a bit cheaper than ordering the oil on Amazon. The 7oz tub at Whole Foods was about $13.00 for reference.

EDIT: The topic of who's lube is better has been beat to death and won't be solved here (for the record, I am a One Shot guy and love it but want to try something new/cheaper). Please stay on topic of lanolin/alcohol. I will post my results with paste lanolin as I get them. Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 8:38:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Delete
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 8:38:35 AM EDT
[#2]
I couldn't find the oil locally, either. Bought some paste, was thinking the same as you, heat it and mix. I'm curious as to what happens after the lanolin has a chance to cool while mixed with the alcohol.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 8:41:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Please keep us informed of your progress.

What ratio did you use for your mixture?

I have two sons who work for Whole Foods. One is a store manager and the other is a buyer. They help me reload and we do like the Dillon lube.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 8:48:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Please keep us informed of your progress.

What ratio did you use for your mixture?

I have two sons who work for Whole Foods. One is a store manager and the other is a buyer. They help me reload and we do like the Dillon lube.
View Quote

I just used a dab of paste and splash of 99% just to see how it mixes. After it cooled a bit, its getting cloudy. Still have hope for it. I will try a 1:10-12 later today and try sizing some cases. Unfortunately, I am currently lacking in unsized cases so my first attempted might be too small a test. Worst case, I shoot some 308 next weekend to give the lube a good test. I will keep you posted.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 9:16:34 AM EDT
[#5]
It will work but not as well as liquid lanoline does. I tried the paste before I got hold of the liquid. It will mix with some effort but separates very easily and is a bear to get it mixed again. I could not find the liquid anywhere near me so I ordered it from Amazon.

Vince
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 9:17:54 AM EDT
[#6]

$13 for 7 ounces isn't any cheaper than buying Lee Lube.  

Why don't you use it as is.  Take a dollup of it and put into a ziplock bag, with 100 pieces of brass and shake.  Figure out by trial and error how much brass it will coat and you will be in business.

Link Posted: 10/19/2014 9:20:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

It is when you can make a gallon of lube from a $7 bottle of liquid lanoline.

Vince
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 9:28:48 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Vince

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Vince

I thin my lee lube 5-1 with alcohol. how much brass are we talking about here. My 2 oz tube lasts me a couple thousand rounds after I thin it out.

seems like an awful lot of effort to save pennies and I'm a cheapass.

Link Posted: 10/19/2014 10:11:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
]I thin my lee lube 5-1 with alcohol. how much brass are we talking about here. My 2 oz tube lasts me a couple thousand rounds after I thin it out.

View Quote

I got a four oz of liquid lanolin. Mixed about 8 or 10:1. I've done several thousand cases and still have
3/4 of a 20oz spritzer bottle left. 3 to 5 shots per 100 or 150 cases maybe?  It goes a LONG way.

It's cheap but that's not really the point. It is so fast and easy. That's what makes it good.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 10:28:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Poke around the Black Powder Silhouette guys' forums, because they use beeswax, lanolin, and I forget what, I think.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 11:35:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 11:49:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You want the liquid lanolin for best results.
View Quote

For what it's worth, the paste turns into a liquid after heating in microwave. I just wish I knew how both can be pure lanolin but be in different forms.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 12:06:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Just buy a tin of Imperial and be done with it.we KNOW that works.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 2:05:53 PM EDT
[#14]
So, lucky me... I have a friend who has a bunch of 30-06 cases that need prep. He was generous and offered to let me do them for him.

30-06 has been the hardest cast for me to size. could be the die but seems I get better results with dillon lube compared to a few others I tried. Thus the reason I am looking for a Dillon-like lube.

Anyway, I should have the cases early this week and try the paste-alcohol lube out. I think I will try 1:9 to start. Will post results soon!

Lastly, again, I don't need any advice on other brands of lube. While I do appreciate the advice from many of you with much more experience, I am truly just trying to answer this specific recipe question. Thanks though.

Link Posted: 10/19/2014 2:37:45 PM EDT
[#15]
When I first looked for lanolin, all I could find was the paste.
I tried making a small batch by warming it up.
It worked fine until it cooled down.
There were solids that settled to the bottom of the spray bottle.
I just shook the bottle to disperse it again.
Before that batch was used up, I was able to find some liquid lanolin.
A little really does go a long way.
A couple hundred cases into a gallon zip lock bag and about 4 squirts does the trick.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 8:09:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's really not about economics as it is availability. My LGS is usually out of Dillon case lube.

Vince
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 9:18:39 PM EDT
[#17]
liquid lanolin from amazon

alcohol

spray bottle

makes a dandy home brew dillon style spray lube.

Edit, found the old thread...

http://www.ar15.com/mobile/topic.html?b=6&f=42&t=305174&page=1

Link Posted: 10/19/2014 9:22:56 PM EDT
[#18]
That is what I use.

Found an awesome thread of how to make a good mix here:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_42/305174_Case_Lube_for_cheap_bastards.html
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 9:53:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:01:34 PM EDT
[#20]
I was able to find 9 unsized 308 cases. So, I prep'ed the following: 1 teaspoon of Lanolin paste (heated for about 45 seconds till liquid in microwave. Mixed with quarter cup of 99%. This is just under 10% lanolin to alcohol.
Mixed perfectly. Let it sit for day. Came home tonight. It was thicker and cloudier than the Dillon lube.

Sprayed the cases and all sized perfectly. No issues. No dented shoulders, no sticking. No issues. Nine cases isnt enough of a test but at least it proves the paste has a good chance of working.

OK, so, I should have the 30-06 brass within next couple of days and will post results ASAP. I have the rest of the spray sitting to see how it looks after a couple of days.

I suspect I need to cut it down a bit. 10% is probably too much. Will update once I have more info.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:02:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Just buy a tin of Imperial and be done with it.we KNOW that works.
View Quote

Anyone ever try dissolving the imperial in alcohol to make spray-on imperial?

I love imperial wax but the ease of spraying lanolin lube is nice.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:16:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Call your local Health food store, and ask (at the counter) for liquid lanolin, most will special order it for you if they do not carry. (I think it's available on amazon prime too, but the price is a little higher than local for me.
The lanolin cream/paste hardens again after it cools causing it to settle.

I use the 99% isopropol alcohol with liquid lanolin midex 16:1. works great, evaporates fast, no stuck cases no dented shoulders.

Store it in a room temperature location, I kept my lube in the garage one winter, and got some sediment on the bottom. (if this happens heat up the solution by placing the bottle in a hot water bath, and agitating till the sediment dissolves)

It's been 2 years since I had to do that, and keeping the lube in the house now, it's still fully in solution.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:52:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Used the day and half old mix I made Monday morning to resize about 70 30-06 die using a combination of dilllon trim die and Hornady die to size neck. Worked flawlessly even though it was a little cloudy. I went to local farm supply today and got a gallon of 99%. Much better deal than pharmacy or online.
I am thinking my teaspoon to 1/4 cup is too strong. I mixed a teaspoon in 1/2 cup tonight and will let it sit in jar for a month or so before I will need to size more big rounds. If the diluted mix works in a month, I will call it a success. I will keep it indoors as noted above but cold wont be a problem for a while in TX.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:36:54 PM EDT
[#24]
No.
But I do use the fluid.  Got no idea if it's all the next fad or not.  From what I've read., it's the cure all for treating metal.
Seem's to work as a lube for reloading as well
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:37:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Used the day and half old mix I made Monday morning to resize about 70 30-06 die using a combination of dilllon trim die and Hornady die to size neck. Worked flawlessly even though it was a little cloudy. I went to local farm supply today and got a gallon of 99%. Much better deal than pharmacy or online.
I am thinking my teaspoon to 1/4 cup is too strong. I mixed a teaspoon in 1/2 cup tonight and will let it sit in jar for a month or so before I will need to size more big rounds. If the diluted mix works in a month, I will call it a success. I will keep it indoors as noted above but cold wont be a problem for a while in TX.

View Quote

With regard to mix ratios I can't tell you with the paste, but with liquid I've heard 1:8 up to 1:12.
Check the "Case lube for cheap Bastards" thread for more specifics on what people tried.

Either way I can tell you one trick. A very thin coat of straight lanolin on the first case of a sizing
session seems to coat the die. For me it noticeably reduced sizing effort for a batch of cases
after.  It is not needed, but it makes things easier and smoother.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:22:00 PM EDT
[#26]
What a coincidence. I'm getting into reloading, so I ordered an 8 oz. bottle of Dillon Case Lube. When it arrived I was amazed it was a lanolin / isopropyl alcohol mixture. The amazement was because before ever ordering the case lube, I was wondering how well "Fluid Film" would work for a case lube. Fluid Film is a lanolin based lubricant.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:35:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Good tip. Thx. I felt that the original ratio (nearly 10% lanolin) was just too much IMO. Didn't cause any issues, but I thought it was overkil. Thus the future attempt at 1/2 that.

Quoted:

With regard to mix ratios I can't tell you with the paste, but with liquid I've heard 1:8 up to 1:12.
Check the "Case lube for cheap Bastards" thread for more specifics on what people tried.

Either way I can tell you one trick. A very thin coat of straight lanolin on the first case of a sizing
session seems to coat the die. For me it noticeably reduced sizing effort for a batch of cases
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:45:12 AM EDT
[#28]
My 10:1 mix works well but seems excessive. May try 12:1 next batch. The 8:1 was to low (a bit messy). At 10:1, I have lubed cases and left sitting for a month and they still sized just as easily.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:47:34 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
My 10:1 mix works well but seems excessive. May try 12:1 next batch. The 8:1 was to low (a bit messy). At 10:1, I have lubed cases and left sitting for a month and they still sized just as easily.
View Quote

I am guessing the ratio with paste with be a bit different. 1:10 was just too thick compared to Dillon lube. Thus I cut in half. Probably will settle in between.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:43:58 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:58:49 AM EDT
[#31]
my dad uses 95%+ rubbing alcohol (whatever can be had around here) and lanolin oil mixture.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:05:41 PM EDT
[#32]
1 bottle HEET gas line anti freeze and 1/2 tube Lee sizing lube......shake well before use
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:03:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Needs to be ISO-heet. IIRC the other stuff is methanol. Bad juju.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:59:04 PM EDT
[#34]
I did the same thing as the OP.  It has to be heated to mix with the alcohol, and it WILL settle out (that's the waxy part settling), but you can get it mixed again by heating it up.  I use a plastic spray bottle, and just sit it in a pan of VERY hot water for a bit before I shake it up (a LOT) for use.  On the plus side, hot alcohol dries faster than cold alcohol, but it's a royal pain to have to heat it up before using it.  I now have PLENTY of lanolin butter for waterproofing boots...but I don't wear boots anymore.

I wound up breaking down and buying some liquid lanolin online for my next batch of lube...only to find that Sprouts and Trader Joe's both had liquid lanolin on the shelf (but Whole Foods didn't!) for less than it cost  for my online order before shipping.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 11:00:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Needs to be ISO-heet. IIRC the other stuff is methanol. Bad juju.
View Quote

I didn't realize they still make the methanol stuff. Yes, ISO-HEET in the red bottle. sorry if anyone ran out and bought methanol
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top