Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/17/2014 9:13:07 AM EDT
I know this isn't a tech thread per se (mods, feel free to move to GD if you feel that's a better place for this discussion), but what are your thoughts on having a separate reloading forum in the precision rifles section? I like that we have one central location for reloading info, and I'm a bit concerned that we'll have a bit of dysfunction with some info being over there, and some over here. What are the thoughts of the regulars of the reloading forum on this?

ETA: Link to new forum

Link Posted: 10/17/2014 9:47:29 AM EDT
[#1]
I think it would be great to have something more technical rather than the same old resizing problems and people looking for 300BO loads or what press to buy.

A couple days ago I was searching around the internet for a more technical forum but they all seem to be polluted with the same questions over and over.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 10:20:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think it would be great to have something more technical rather than the same old resizing problems and people looking for 300BO loads or what press to buy.

A couple days ago I was searching around the internet for a more technical forum but they all seem to be polluted with the same questions over and over.

View Quote

TBH, I don't know that it would be any different just being under the Precision Rifles section. I admit that I rarely click on 'which one to get?' threads anymore.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 10:39:13 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm the same way.  We have many helpful people here, and if you want to avoid beginner questions, there will be someone else here who can answer them.

Regarding a sub forum under precision rifles, they get their share of assumed "bolt action = precision rifle" posts, so I can't imagine we'd see much of an improvement.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 10:52:31 AM EDT
[#4]
It seems like the now typical resizing and what to buy threads are starting to thin out.

The reloading boomers are either figuring it out and reading more books, or they're giving up the new hobby and impulse buys.  

Link Posted: 10/17/2014 10:52:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Didn't know it existed, thanks!
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 10:54:20 AM EDT
[#6]
I am all for it.

What I've noticed here is we have lots of reloaders with very good experience in specific areas.  Then they go and push their model of reloading and even sometimes criticize other styles when it doesn't match up to their own view.   A precision reloader is looking for something different than a 3 gun shooter who will favor cycling reliability over accuracy.  Nothing wrong with that, there are reasons for each loader to do things a certain way and it's always good to measure that against your own methods.  

I look at it this way you have different styles;
a generic reloader who wants less expensive ammo or the ability to keep his .270 in good deer ammo
a long distance shooting hunter who wants to load his own premium ammo matched to his gun, but just a modest amount of ammo
a competitive pistol shooter who wants a lot of ammo, that is as accurate as he/she can make in a timely manner and reasonable amount of effort.
a 3 gun shooter who also wants a lot of ammo, is happy with an X amount of accuracy out to whatever his local clubs ranges are be it 200 or 300 yards, he just needs a good combat accuracy
a NRA high power rifle or DCM type shooter who needs a decent volume and enough accuracy to reliably hit the X and 10 ring if he does his part.
F class guys aka belly bench rest., they want a bit more accuracy
a precision rifle shooter who wants a tight group at long range, most likely want to cycle through the action but may be glad to load long and single load for certain things
then there's the bench rest shooters who go to the Nth to the Nth degree looking to shave off another thousandths off their group.  

I look at is as setting on a computer or stereo with sliding buttons, you adjust your volume, effort/time/prep methods to suit the task.  It's a waste to load to bench rest levels if you're shooting steel at 125 yards for a match.  It's also almost certainly a waste to not load to bench rest levels if you're in a bench rest match.  Kind of like taking the time and care of a master cabinet maker to frame a garage and vice versa with a framing carpenter doing his standard framing quality work on a set of kitchen cabinets.

Somehow folks forget that how they do it isn't always the best way to do it for another for good reasons.  Neither is wrong.  It's also not wrong to learn the whys of methods and where they are best applied.  Just more tools in the toolbox.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 11:12:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Every reloading site is busy helping new enthusiasts work through problems. That's what we're here for and that will never change. New people seek guidance and someone will step up with the help they need. Sharing experience helps everyone and improves the final product.

I get more frustrated with people who should no better that think flat primers don't matter, that loads have been reduced in the manuals because of "lawyers" or they're loads are safe at 1.0 to 2.0 grains over and 150 fps faster than anyone's published data just because nothing has blown up yet.

New people need help with the learning curve and discussion groups can help them leap frog problems other people had to learn the hard way. I welcome and encourage their pursuits.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 11:23:39 AM EDT
[#8]
I think it would be better. more like a "real" loading forum.

you would have the general BS in the original one and the BTDT type stuff in the other.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 11:28:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I am all for it.

What I've noticed here is we have lots of reloaders with very good experience in specific areas.  Then they go and push their model of reloading and even sometimes criticize other styles when it doesn't match up to their own view.   A precision reloader is looking for something different than a 3 gun shooter who will favor cycling reliability over accuracy.  Nothing wrong with that, there are reasons for each loader to do things a certain way and it's always good to measure that against your own methods.  

a generic reloader who wants less expensive ammo or the ability to keep his .270 in good deer ammo
a long distance shooting hunter who wants to load his own premium ammo matched to his gun, but just a modest amount of ammo
a competitive pistol shooter who wants a lot of ammo, that is as accurate as he/she can make in a timely manner and reasonable amount of effort.
a 3 gun shooter who also wants a lot of ammo, is happy with an X amount of accuracy out to whatever his local clubs ranges are be it 200 or 300 yards, he just needs a good combat accuracy
a NRA high power rifle or DCM type shooter who needs a decent volume and enough accuracy to reliably hit the X and 10 ring if he does his part.
a precision rifle shooter who wants a tight group at long range, most likely want to cycle through the action but may be glad to load long and single load for certain things
then there's the bench rest shooters who go to the Nth to the Nth degree looking to shave off another thousandths off their group.  

I look at is as setting on a computer or stereo with sliding buttons, you adjust your volume, effort/time/prep methods to suit the task.  It's a waste to load to bench rest levels if you're shooting steel at 125 yards for a match.  It's also almost certainly a waste to not load to bench rest levels if you're in a bench rest match.  Kind of like taking the time and care of a master cabinet maker to frame a garage and vice versa with a framing carpenter doing his standard framing quality work on a set of kitchen cabinets.

Somehow folks forget that how they do it isn't always the best way to do it for another for good reasons.  Neither is wrong.  It's also not wrong to learn the whys of methods and where they are best applied.  Just more tools in the toolbox.
View Quote

Yes this is a problem with all of the tech forums, people seem to refuse to look outside of their needs or uses. I have no interest in such and such but can see how someone else would and can answer or help with that in mind.

You can learn something useful from from every shooting style. I don't benchrest but can get a hell of a lot of good info from their methods and alter them to suit my needs.

Of course I do get annoyed when someone says they do it a certain way and when asked why they don't know "way I have always done it" or " the way I was told". I am always interested in different methods but I want to see a reason. I do everything the way I do it for reasons I can explain when asked.

Link Posted: 10/17/2014 11:28:53 AM EDT
[#10]
I would like it but how effectively would it work

its almost once a week (been slow recently which is good) on the "what do I need to get started" threads. But might help if those links were pinned to the thread list instead of being links on the top. Just a thought

ETA: Went to the link, like the recipe pages. But in thought shouldn't be just in precision rifles although I do see the need
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 2:49:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 3:12:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The idea is good, but people will always post in the wrong forum.

Look how many new posters in this forum never read the tacked "read first don't blow off" thread.

And still post "where to find" questions and never look at the tacked threads for any answers.

Ever notice new posters posting questions and then never post in their own thread again?

Hope it works out...

View Quote

Yeah, that's my thinking too. Hoping they don't try to rope you guys into moderating it. This is by far the best forum in the Armory, if not the best in tech, in general. Don't want to wreck that.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 9:10:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

I know how to fix the 300 BO issue; right now we have a clusterfuck of a "sub-thread" that has about 400 different topics all mixed together in it for 300 BO, instead of a sub forum with 400 topics that could be searched by title.  Another thing I hate is going back 7 or 8 pages looking for a thread that gets buried in here.

I offer a solution, have sub forums for 300 BO, casting, pistol cartridges, precision rifle, subsonic, new reloaders, equipment reviews, general, etc or however far you want to separate them would be great.  A lot of the same questions could be tacked at the top of the respective sub forum.   It would just make things more user friendly.  All the bullet casters can talk about loads for their glocks without upsetting those that shoot jacketed bullets, things like that.

Dryflash and Aero do a good job of moderating, I don't know if sub forums would increase their workload, that is not my goal.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 9:29:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 9:29:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 9:30:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 9:59:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 10:27:14 PM EDT
[#18]
As a fairly new reloader, I like having the elder statesmen to ask even simple questions to. While I admit that I can't admit to being a precision shooter, it is my overall goal with all my rifles, so I like having one spot to put all my questions for all my calibers. I read (and reread before posting) the FAQ section, and wish it was updated more, or was streamlined (eliminate non relevant posts to speed up reading), and push people back in there that ask about basic equipment questions. I appreciate the knowledge here and hope it doesn't get split permanently.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 6:28:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I don't have time for more forums, I'm lucky that I'm assigned a couple that run themselves pretty well.

I recommend the new forums launch with strong moderation and participating members that insist on good behavior.  The incessant repeat of old topics will require a crack down right from the start for success, and the whining about the search function will be epic.

This also overlays the existing Precision Rifles forum, but I think Goatboy intends to move the content.

Like I said in the GD thread, GD will be the main obstacle to success, either from past experience by prospective members, or a bad reaction from new members.  But all that can be mitigated if the forum is easy to find.

In the mean time, our own little forum here is overdue for some repair and refurbishment, but I don't relish the work, although I have an idea about how to simplify the job this time around.  Plus I need to get up to speed about using other file servers for storage of documents, EXCEL files, and so on; don't really relish that, either.

View Quote

Honestly the part in red is something that needs to be looked at by site staff or GB and see if you can host that stuff internally. No matter where you put stuff some of those sites are going to go out of business, get bought out, change their policies, or change their links etc. One of the biggest chores in maintaining a FAQ is keeping all of the linked stuff up to date and if any needed files, images, and videos were hosted internally half of the battle of keeping a FAQ up to date would be won. It's damn silly that we have stuff up in the Resources that link to Photobucket and if they get popular all of sudden can't be seen reliably.

Just one man's opinion.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 6:53:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 9:18:16 PM EDT
[#21]
I had forgotten how cumbersome it had gotten then.  

There is good moderation and sound advice here, this is by fare one of the sanest corners of arfcom.  

It's likely too late now but I wonder if we should have had subsections of reloading right in here.  That way you might generate a certain mindset/approach to reloading in each subforum.  

Pistol reloading
Shotgun reloading
Rifle reloading
Precision rifle reloading

There is always some overlap.  One of my other go to websites is castboolits.  They have some minor redundancy with military rifle sections/loading for military rifles.  

i can live with looking here and over in the Precision place.  I do hope they have some conservative moderation there.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 10:08:12 PM EDT
[#22]
I think this is a good idea.

You could also have a "general reloading" and possibly a "reloading equipment" sub forum

Quoted:
I had forgotten how cumbersome it had gotten then.  

There is good moderation and sound advice here, this is by fare one of the sanest corners of arfcom.  

It's likely too late now but I wonder if we should have had subsections of reloading right in here.  That way you might generate a certain mindset/approach to reloading in each subforum.  

Pistol reloading
Shotgun reloading
Rifle reloading

There is always some overlap.  One of my other go to websites is castboolits.  They have some minor redundancy with military rifle sections/loading for military rifles.  

i can live with looking here and over in the Precision place.  I do hope they have some conservative moderation there.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:23:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Pistol reloading
Shotgun reloading
Rifle reloading
View Quote

Excellent idea. Should have been done long ago.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:45:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 2:25:43 PM EDT
[#25]
no need for it.

all of mine are precision.

clown

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 8:51:44 PM EDT
[#26]
I think that it probably should a sub-forum of the main reloading forum instead of the Precision rifle forum.   Just makes more sense to keep all of the reloading info together.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:27:06 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Yes this is a problem with all of the tech forums, people seem to refuse to look outside of their needs or uses. I have no interest in such and such but can see how someone else would and can answer or help with that in mind.

You can learn something useful from from every shooting style. I don't benchrest but can get a hell of a lot of good info from their methods and alter them to suit my needs.

Of course I do get annoyed when someone says they do it a certain way and when asked why they don't know "way I have always done it" or " the way I was told". I am always interested in different methods but I want to see a reason. I do everything the way I do it for reasons I can explain when asked.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I am all for it.

And therein lies the difference.  You want to understand what is being discussed, analyze it, and then decide what if any of it suits your needs so you ask specific questions based upon a thoughtful examination of the information already available.  That's not the case with many who ask questions here because they don't want to go to the trouble of looking up and reading answers already posted.  They want to be told what is most popular and then blindly follow it with the messy need to think.

I don't mean to slam anyone in particular, however, likely 96% of the questions asked here have already been asked and answered many hundreds of times before and all one need do is google the question and read the answers from the various sites where they are posted.  People who ask questions such as, "Which is better, LnL or XL650?" are simply asking for a popularity contest set of posts.  It's a nonsense question.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 3:56:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I think that it probably should a sub-forum of the main reloading forum instead of the Precision rifle forum.   Just makes more sense to keep all of the reloading info together.
View Quote

If it is necessary at all, I think something like this would be a better implementation.

It seems to me the Precision Rifles Forum is actually a tactical rifle forum.  I would be concerned the Reloading Forum there will become a "reloading for tactical rifles" forum.

If I were going to split the Reloading Forum, I think I would split it between rifle and pistol.  Still, I would want to keep them together, perhaps as sub-forums in Armory (or somewhere else such as the Ammunition Forum).  

I would not want to see handgun reloading in the Handgun Forum and rifle reloading in the Precision Rifles Forum.  I would be afraid that approach would dilute the forum.  

P.S. - I never go to the new forum (maybe that's a good thing for them ).  I prefer this one.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 4:20:26 PM EDT
[#29]
I am glad it is in the Precision Rifles forum so that there is no question what should go in there.  There are many things about loading for absolute accuracy (think Benchrest) that hardly anyone else even need to see much less read implement that can now be kept out of the general reloading forum.

The 70+ page 300BLK thread on here is crazy and I don't even look through it anymore as it is just a mess.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:41:40 PM EDT
[#30]
And the newest thread in the so-called precision reloading thread today is......... yes - you guessed it .... "What is the best press for precision reloading?"  

Merry Go Round imo

Hard to keep ridiculous out of anything.

As has been stated .... Mods set the tone  and have kept the foundation solid in this forum -- thanks for that!

Hope they have some good supervision over there.    

Wonder what moa you have to prove your reloads can shoot to qualify as "precision" and allowing you to post in the forum  

apparently none... I did

I think there should be a tacked thread opinion poll over there starting with .... Who is the better reloader - High Power or Bench rest?

That would be technically entertaining

Time will tell I guess

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 6:52:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:22:46 PM EDT
[#32]
There's lots of stuff to filter through in this forum. I'm glad there's a precision area.   It a different level of expertise that will hopefully keep the general questions down and be more specific to precision work.   It's also smaller which helps when you don't have a search function
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top