Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/1/2014 6:20:39 PM EDT
I googled this and for the most part im seeing the same answer's but I want to hear it from some of the guys who have been loading pistol for years

im loading 9mm and .45
I have some once fired win brass, range brass, and range brass that I have fired 3 times so far. I have about a 95% brass recovery since I shoot on a concrete pad so my question is do you guys keep track of how many firings you have on pistol brass?

It seems generally the community does not keep track of firings on strait wall pistol brass and that the primer pocket will wear out far before the brass gets stressed.
It would be alot easier for me to just throw all of my pistol brass together (by caliber of course) instead of sorting it by times fired ( I inherited this from tracking my rifle brass)

Im using plated bullets and load a mid range charge. 9mm is shot through my glock 17 factory barrel, and a Colt xse 1911 for .45

chime in!
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 6:32:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I dont keep track of how many times theyve been shot.
But i load on a single stage so i handle each piece several times so ill likely catch a defect
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 6:47:49 PM EDT
[#2]
I usually reload 1600+ pieces of 9mm for practice, it's all of the same head stamp.

After each rage visit I place the brass from my practice sessions in a bucket.  Once most of my reloads are shot I'll reload another batch, usually loose 5% per visit.  I usually toss the entire lot once it get below 700 or so.  I've probably reloaded the same 9mm brass nine or ten times at that point (I do not actually log this data)  Also inspect my brass pretty well, and I would also cull the batch if I started seeing issues.   Low pressure stuff like .45.... I'd just reload it until you start to see issue with the cases, or if you good access to brass.... just purge it after some many reloads.

~g
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 7:25:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I prime by hand. Any that go in real loose I mark an X on the bottom. When I see it again with the X I trash it.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 7:43:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Nope, fire, inspect, reload, inspect, fire, repeat.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:02:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:15:46 PM EDT
[#6]
45 brass lasts a LONG time under a mild load of W231. I'm not sure I've thrown a case out for any reason other than it being smashed, and very few that wouldn't hold a primer.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:49:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Even though 9mm is a higher-pressure round than .45ACP, you're still going to lose your cases for either caliber before they wear out, with the rare exception of cases you load HOT more than a few times.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 9:04:22 PM EDT
[#8]
I separate some of my 9 and 45 brass. The best or once fired gets loaded with premium self-defense hollow points and the rest gets loaded for FMJ-RN practice and plinking loads. Even this isn't necessary but just my method.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:11:14 PM EDT
[#9]
I've never worn out a pistol case. Granted, I load mostly 45 ACP, but I do go through a good bit of 9mm from time to time as well. Pistol brass just doesn't take nearly the stress that rifle cases do.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:20:49 PM EDT
[#10]
I have been shooting the same 38 spl and 357 mag cases since the 70's. I lose a few from time to time because of primer pockets getting loose.
The 38 spl are milder target loads, but the 357 mag loads a full up charges.
Straight wall cases will last you a life time, never had to trim any of mine either.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:21:01 PM EDT
[#11]
I have come across a few 45 cases that are so worn that the head stamp is barely legible and the pocket is still tight. Probably a dozen or more firings at that point.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:28:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 1:18:03 AM EDT
[#13]
If you go too far with flare and crimp, you will start to see cracks at the case mouth.

Not hard to spot this in time to cull from your batch.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 5:21:39 AM EDT
[#14]
.45 being a low pressure round will last a long time. With the exception of a large match,  I would not waste time separating brass out by head stamp or number of firings. I just clean, inspect, load and shoot.

For my 9mm brass I do the same. However on range pick up brass I take a lot more time to inspect the brass to see if is swollen or showing signs be shot with major power factor loads.

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 9:44:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Never...if it's not split and holds a primer it gets loaded.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 10:15:42 AM EDT
[#16]
My pistol brass is separated into two categories: once-fired and more than fired once.

Other than than I don't keep track.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 3:53:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Never...if it's not split and holds a primer it gets loaded.
View Quote

+1

I have 45 brass from 1980 still getting loaded. I have no idea how old my 9mm is but some of it has been loaded many times.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 6:09:33 PM EDT
[#18]
excellent responses, thanks again guys!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top