Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2014 3:07:38 PM EDT
After putting off buying an electronic scale, I have finally broken down and come to the realization that I do in fact require one for my bench.  I am strictly a pistol caliber reloader right now, and not really interested in reloading for my rifle at all.  I reload 9mm and .40 S&W, and starting .38 special.  I do not have electricity in my shed where my bench is, so I need a scale that is battery powered.

ARFCOM, educate me and recommend a scale that won't break the bank.

ETA:  First look is at the RCBS RangeMaster 750 on Midway

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1458562485/rcbs-rangemaster-750-electronic-powder-scale-750-grain-capacity?cm_vc=ProductFinding  

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 4:32:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Why not consider a good quality balance beam scale? Yeah, the Lee ain't it, but Hornady, Lyman, Dillon, and RCBS all sell very good beam scales. I'd wager that all of them are made by Ohaus.

I have a 70's vintage Ohaus 5-10 scale that still does the job.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 6:54:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Because I don't want a balance scale. I want a digital one.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 7:17:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Never been able to warm up to a digital scale--don't trust them.  You have to spend a heck of a lot more to get something as reliable and consistent as a beam scale.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 7:44:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I reloaded for years with my Dillon balance scale with zero problems. I recently bought a pocket jewelers digital scale just for grins and I was flabbergasted at how accurate it is. I compared the weights to my balance scale for a month or more and it is always dead on. It is accurate to .1gr and that is all I need. Do not scoff at the price, it is worth every penney of it.  I continue to check it occasionally against my beam scale and it is always accurate.

Insten scale

Vince
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 7:46:11 PM EDT
[#5]
double post
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:18:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks, Vinny, that's the kind of information im looking for.  I would have never guessed that a $17 Wal-Mart scale would have been reliable in any way, shape  or form.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 9:34:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks, Vinny, that's the kind of information im looking for.  I would have never guessed that a $17 Wal-Mart scale would have been reliable in any way, shape  or form.
View Quote

Shocked me too, as I said I bought it on a whim but was pleasantly surprised.

Hey for $17 what do you have to loose. Now I would be very steamed if I had dropped upwards of $400 on a name brand reloading scale to find out it was not accurate I see posts all the time about these high dollar scales that cant cut it.

Vince
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 10:22:03 PM EDT
[#8]
I use both digital and beam.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:41:08 PM EDT
[#9]
I used both balance beam and digital when first going to my 750 Rangemaster but after awhile I started really trusting it and it's been working like a charm for several years.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 1:16:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Hey for $17 what do you have to loose. Now I would be very steamed if I had dropped upwards of $400 on a name brand reloading scale to find out it was not accurate I see posts all the time about these high dollar scales that cant cut it.

Vince
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Vince

To answer the bolded part, pretty simple.  Load anywhere near max, wait for inevitable scale drift, and you may have an answer next time you go to shoot.
It's just not, IMO, worth using cheapie digital scales as a primary means of measure.
Spend over $100 for something like a Gempro, or buy a new or used mechanical like the RCBS 505 or similar.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:32:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
]
To answer the bolded part, pretty simple.  Load anywhere near max, wait for inevitable scale drift, and you may have an answer next time you go to shoot.
It's just not, IMO, worth using cheapie digital scales as a primary means of measure.
View Quote

Did you miss the part where I said I continually check it against my Dillon balance beam scale? I do not rely on it for the only means of measurement.

Vince
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:45:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Did you miss the part where I said I continually check it against my Dillon balance beam scale? I do not rely on it for the only means of measurement.

Vince
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Vince

I did, as it wasn't quoted in the post I replied to.  
I'd still call it lucky vs 'a good practice.'  I was 'fine' with my MTM 1500 (think Hornady's cheapie is the same one?) for a bit, but then caught it drifting +/- .2gr, had me cleaning my PM a million times, then finally checked it on a RCBS...RCBS dead-on, Hornady semi-random.  Never again on the cheapie scales, for me.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:58:34 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Why not consider a good quality balance beam scale? Yeah, the Lee ain't it, but Hornady, Lyman, Dillon, and RCBS all sell very good beam scales. I'd wager that all of them are made by Ohaus.

I have a 70's vintage Ohaus 5-10 scale that still does the job.
View Quote

I have two beam scales----one lyman and one hornady. While the lyman isn't bad, I would have no problem recommending the hornady to a new reloader. In fact, I pretty much consider myself a fan of hornady products across the board and that includes their loaded ammunition, as well.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 4:31:46 PM EDT
[#14]
The little pocket scale is accurate to .1gr. I use it to set my powder measure on my Dillon RL550B whose powder measure is no more accurate than .1gr. I compare the powder charge from my RL550B powder measure with my balance beam scale and on my pocket scale and to date they both agree.

Vince
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 5:32:40 PM EDT
[#15]
I've had my eye on this one for a while now.  http://brianenos.com/store/be.scale_pd.html
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 5:47:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Gem Pro 250

Gem Pro 250
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:58:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Gents, I do thank you for all your wisdom and knowledge. I believe the GemPro 250 will be mine in a few weeks.  Thank you!!
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:12:45 PM EDT
[#18]
That Gem Pro looks exactly like the one Brian Enos is peddling.  Im excited about the AC power almost more than the resolution.  If you've ever run the batteries down on a pocket scale without realizing it you'll know what I mean.   Suddenly my 2650 fps loads were chronographing 400 fps slower!
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:49:58 AM EDT
[#19]
just a comment... I'm a retired science teacher... do you have a way to reliably calibrate the electronic balances?... try to borrow a calibration mass set if one does not come with the balance...
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 9:41:09 AM EDT
[#20]
They usually come with a calibration weight.  

I also bought some check weights to verify function.  Ive seen cheap electronic scales pass their calibration weight but still be way off on check weights in the useful 20-40 gr range.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 9:52:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
That Gem Pro looks exactly like the one Brian Enos is peddling. !
View Quote

There is very few electronic scales worth a flip. I am quite sure most if not all of the scales offered from reloading places are just rebranded and marked up$$.

Vince

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 10:07:37 AM EDT
[#22]
I've been using a Pact electronic scale for 10+ years with zero problems.  Doesn't drift.  Calibrates easily.  I think I paid $60 or so.

I keep a balance around, for the end of the world.  
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 2:28:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I reloaded for years with my Dillon balance scale with zero problems. I recently bought a pocket jewelers digital scale just for grins and I was flabbergasted at how accurate it is. I compared the weights to my balance scale for a month or more and it is always dead on. It is accurate to .1gr and that is all I need. Do not scoff at the price, it is worth every penney of it.  I continue to check it occasionally against my beam scale and it is always accurate.

Insten scale

Vince
View Quote

This report doesn't square with the experience most of us have. For your own security, I'd suggest a little test. Take 25 to 50 cases and line them up. Weigh each case and record the weight. Then weigh them again and record the weights. Then compare the list, case by case.

I suspect you will find that a case's weight will too often (for me) vary 0.1 to 0.3gr from first weighing to second.

But if you are happy with and allow for that kind of result in your reloading, you'll be fine.

If you get 99% repeatability, I'll buy a couple of those scales myslef lol.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 3:00:11 PM EDT
[#24]
GemPro 250 plus a $30 set of reloading check weights from Brownells (think the weights are .5, 1, 1, 5, 10, 20, and 20 grains).

With any digital scale you NEED a set of grain-denominated check weights.

Put a $3 ferrite core on the power cord to limit electrical interference. Don't put electrically noisy stuff near it.

Let it warm up for 15 minutes before using.

No drift. Accurate to about .04 gr (whenever I put a 20 gr check weight on it, it will read 20.00 to 20.02).

The only weakness is it is kind of slow to respond when trickling. But dump a load of powder on it and you'll get a very accurate weight.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 4:19:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

This report doesn't square with the experience most of us have. For your own security, I'd suggest a little test. Take 25 to 50 cases and line them up. Weigh each case and record the weight. Then weigh them again and record the weights. Then compare the list, case by case.

I suspect you will find that a case's weight will too often (for me) vary 0.1 to 0.3gr from first weighing to second.

But if you are happy with and allow for that kind of result in your reloading, you'll be fine.

If you get 99% repeatability, I'll buy a couple of those scales myslef lol.
View Quote

Listen up folks! I am not using this pocket scale to weigh each and every charge. I use the scale to setup the powder drop on my Dillon RL550B same as I do with my balance beam scale. I recheck the weight occasionally as I am progressing with reloading to make sure my powder drop on my Dillon is holding a setting, same as I would do with my balance beam scale. I do not use the pocket scale to the exclusion of my balance beam scale. It is just another method of confirmation of powder drop weight.

Vince
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 4:49:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

There is very few electronic scales worth a flip. I am quite sure most if not all of the scales offered from reloading places are just rebranded and marked up$$.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That Gem Pro looks exactly like the one Brian Enos is peddling. !

Exactly - the BE scale is in fact the GemPro.  In BE's case, he doesn't mark it up much, but it is higher than elsewhere.
Have seen the same thing a few other places as well.

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:43:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
GemPro 250 plus a $30 set of reloading check weights from Brownells (think the weights are .5, 1, 1, 5, 10, 20, and 20 grains).

With any digital scale you NEED a set of grain-denominated check weights.

Put a $3 ferrite core on the power cord to limit electrical interference. Don't put electrically noisy stuff near it.

Let it warm up for 15 minutes before using.

No drift. Accurate to about .04 gr (whenever I put a 20 gr check weight on it, it will read 20.00 to 20.02).

The only weakness is it is kind of slow to respond when trickling. But dump a load of powder on it and you'll get a very accurate weight.
View Quote

I use an RCBS 750.   The trick to trickling, for me, is to trickle some powder then lift and reset the pan.  Sometimes the scale won't recognize a very small amount - or it takes a few seconds.  Lifting it off and resetting the pan seems to work well.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 12:06:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I've been using a Pact electronic scale for 10+ years with zero problems.  Doesn't drift.  Calibrates easily.  I think I paid $60 or so.

View Quote

Earlier this year I picked up a used Pact scale and digital powder measure combo for $100.  So far it's been staying consistent, however it occasionally asks to be calibrated during use (which I think is a good safety precaution.)

It's faster for me to use my Hornady beam scale with a standard powder measure, so the Pact only runs with the slower running digital measure.  The only advantage of the digital measure is changing charge weights on the fly during load development.  
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 10:33:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

QFT. My pact is pretty old.  Just let it warm up and no drift.  Do have a rcbs balance scale, but have never used it.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 11:00:10 PM EDT
[#30]
I don't trust any electronic scale. Yes I love my CM-1500 but my old 5-10 is always used to verify it. Am I over cautious?

I just could not imagine having only the electronic. I guess with a good set of check weights maybe.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top